“Good location, not so comfy beds”
Review of Conch Shell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Conch Shell Inn
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in April. The location is very good and a easy walk from the water taxis (one is right out front, the 2nd is just down the street). Room was clean, liked that it had a fridge and a safety deposit box.
We found the beds very uncomfortable and it was a bit loud at night- we were woken up by rowdy patrons of the next door bar in the middle of the night.
On our last day I inquired with the front desk staff member (who didn't seem interested in helping me) about the time of the water taxis as we had to be back in Belize City later that day to catch a flight. She gave me the times of the taxi that was just in front of their shop but just stared blankly at me when I asked the time for the other company. One of the times for this company worked any way so we decide on this. Thankfully I decided to go over and investigate myself as the time she told me was incorrect- they did not have a 11am water taxi running anymore so we had to madly rush to pack up our room to catch the earlier 9:30am one which was already boarding as the one after that would have been too late and we would have missed our flight. I think this is very basic information that the front desk staff should be aware of (especially when the water taxi is steps from their door).
If we went back I would probably not stay here again, price was reasonable and location was good but I feel like you could probably find a more quiet location with more comfy beds for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AshleyDawn84

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've now stayed at the CSI three times since February 2012 for a total of nearly six weeks, so it's about time that I shared my experiences. This is the perfect spot if what you value is a clean, convenient, safe, and friendly spot that is fairly priced. Located on the beach within walking distance of everything you'd ever want to do in San Pedro Town, or on the reef, makes this the ideal boutique hotel. The American owners, Mark and Joan, are likely as not to be around and will be grateful for your stay. The local team of Mari, Ivan, and Bibiana are very attentive, pleasant, and accommodating. I will definitely return to Ambergris Caye and cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My first mistake was not book more time here! Second floor veranda with spectacular view of the diving docks and ocean and so much to offer only minutes away from my room! I lay in my hammock in front of my room every morning as the sun comes up with Belizean coffee in hand! Next door is Cholos sports bar with an active crowd on locals to challenge you to a game of pool. Nighttime music fills the sunset and some of the best Conch ceviche I have every had! The room is clean, with all the amenities to stay indoors or walk 10 minutes in either direction for some great breakfast , lunch , and dinner places to choose from! Staff is very helpful to arrange snorkeling, diving or fishing at very competitive prices! If you want a week of a "vacation station", I have found it!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dave H
Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you want to spend your days walking a very short distance to restaurants, diving, beautiful piers...and reading on the hammock, instead of lounging inside in luxury accommodations--this is your spot. Opt for the air-conditioning for a better night's sleep (drowns out the 5 a.m. boat noise and night-music distractions quite well). The bathrooms upstairs were a tad cozy, but who cares? The outside of the place is just adorable, and the kitchenettes are perfectly fine for cold drinks and an occasional microwave-able snack. You'll share a 2-hammock patio overlooking the bay with its friendly pelicans and neighborhood rays. Vendors here are polite and never annoying...try the wild mango café and lily's for amazing conch fritters. ecologic dive co. is a stone's throw and just great to deal with...bring a hat, ladies: your hair is a lost cause in the heat/wind/humidity! Staff is lovely and they bring up fresh containers of drinking water daily. And, above all, relax.

Room Tip: 4 and 5 upstairs are best to avoid noise, but the downstairs bathrooms are roomier...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is an amazing place to stay when you vacation in Ambergris Caye. It is very clean, no bugs, no critters, comfortable beds, attentive and caring staff that feel like family after a week's stay. It is right off the dock where the water taxi comes in and is a great place to start and finish your day from. It is a little noisy but that was part of the fun...don't let that dissuade you from staying here. Bring some ear plugs and enjoy your time at an amazing place. Each day the staff will help you set up your day's excursions, if it be sailing, snorkeling, biking the beaches, exploring the Mayan ruins or finding a great local place to eat and take in all that San Pedro has to offer.

Room Tip: We stayed on the upper level where we had our own little kitchenette.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaisermiller
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I traveled with my 16-year-old daughter, her girlfriend and a couple of my 50-year-old girlfriends. There were five of us in two lower-level rooms. The Conch Shell is nothing fancy; however, the location and staff are exceptional. We were only in our rooms to sleep, so having a 5-star hotel was not necessary. Even the teenage girls were good with the hotel's accommodations. We all felt safe at the Conch Shell. The beds (a double and twin in each room) were comfortable and the rooms were clean. I cannot say enough about the staff -- Ivan, Marie and Vivian are outstanding. They were always available to answer questions or get whatever we needed -- an extra towel, more water, etc. This is definitely a great deal for the money. The 5 a.m. garbage truck pick up is a bit disruptive as are the guests who feel the need to have a conversation outside your room before 8 a.m. -- we were on vacation after all. Thank you to the owners and staff at the Conch Shell for making our vacation so enjoyable and memorable!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary Kay R
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I spent the last two weeks of February at the Conch. What a lovely little place, not fancy but neither are we so it was perfect for us. We found it spacious and it had everything we needed. We found the bathroom a little small when we first got there, but it's amazing how soon you get used to it. It is situated right on the beach, is within walking distance to everything and is right by the ferry dock, so people watching was great. The lounge chairs down below are super comfy and the table and chairs on the deck are nice and new and solid. We stayed in Room 5 on the uppper deck which had a great breeze at all times. We were a bit concerned about sharing a deck when we first booked, but that turned out to be one of our favorite things about it. We met a lot of very lovely people from all over that we ended up hanging out with. We relaxed, made some good friends and had a great time! Joan is very helpful and informative when you are booking. Thanks again Joan, we would highly recommend the Conch!

Room Tip: Room 5 on the upper deck has the best air flow.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family