very nice condo (#3). If you are sure you really want to visit Belize and stay in San Pedro, this is a good place to stay. The staff was helpful and friendly. And the thatched roof verandas are nice for reading. Our condo had morning sun so choose another condo if you want to hang out early.
A lot of the hotels have no direct beach access (including the beautiful Pelican Reef); Caye Casa has beach access. All of the hotels on Ambergris Caye have sea grass, and the sea floor is mucky so the water is not all that inviting anyway. Caye Casa is a little walk to the center of town which is nice.
We had a great fly fishing trip with Omar - caught many bone fish. He is very helpful. Take your own equipment and be sure the fly line blends in with the water.
We visited the Lamanai ruins with Seduced by Belize. The guides were knowledgeable and provided a breakfast of banana bread with watermelon and pineapple and a very nice lunch. It is a very long day with a one hour boat ride, then a one hour bus trip (air conditioned, thankfully) and then another boat ride through the jungle. We were suppose to see crocodiles, monkeys and toucans. We only saw 3 howler monkeys, but then since we weren't in a zoo we couldn't really be guaranteed to see a lot of wildlife. No bug problems. The ruins were nice.
We also went snorkeling with Searious adventures. That was the best! Our guides took us to the usual sites and we certainly were not alone, but they also prolonged our trip by taking us to the area where fishermen were cleaning their fish. We had the area to ourselves. Fantastic!
I didn't realize the Blue Hole was a 2 hour boat ride from San Pedro. We didn't make it there. It might be better to fly over it to gain a true appreciation for it unless you plan to scuba dive.
Eating: lots of good grilled snapper and grouper. Shrimp is not great since it is not locally caught. We ate at Fido's, Blue water Grill (MUST try the key lime pie), and Wild Mango. Wet Willey's is a nice place for lunch. Good pulled pork sandwiches and it has a beautiful location directly over the water.
Back to Belize itself. If you are looking for a real caribbean island where the hotels are mixed in with the "homes" where the native people live, and you don't mind having pitt bulls roaming freely
then Belize is for you! Don't look for beautiful people or drinks to be served on the beach. It is mainly a place for people who want to hang out, be active or not.
Caye Casa does not really have much of a pool- more like a big bathtub, but most of the other hotels don't either. If a pool is important, choose the "Pelican Reef." If you want to hang out, this place is very nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Caye Casa is an exclusive boutique hotel on the beach in Belize. It is the perfect barefoot base for the adventure of exploring San Pedro and Ambergris Caye. Beachfront. Small. Quiet. Elegant. Private. Attractive. Convenient. Caye Casa is a sanctuary for the discriminating tourist yet all of San Pedro is still at your fingertips. It's all about location. We're close to town; yet far enough away to hear the birds in the morning and watch the blue herons fish during the day. We offer all the charm of San Pedro with the privacy of your own beach. Walking along the beach, you can choose from dozens of restaurants and bars - you're not captive. Here you are an individual. Around the corner is a fitness center. On the beach next door is a masseuse. Caye Casa offers all the amenities most people desire and provides you with the convenience you require - wifi, running water, air conditioning, food, restaurants, bars, shopping and a wonderful vacation. There’s nothing else like it in Belize. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Caye Casa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caye Casa Hotel San Pedro
- Caye Casa Belize/San Pedro