“Fantastic resort with everything you need for a great vacation.”

Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Just returned from a 10-day stay at Pelican Reef on San Pedro, and I would happily stay there again. The 2-bedroom condo had wonderfully appointed rooms and spacious living areas to easily accommodate 4 people. The resort itself is beautiful, with a small but quaint pool area, and a beautiful sandy beach and pier. I've ready other reviews that said the pool was a bit cold, but with the hot days we were having, we found it refreshing. The artificial reef under the pier is host to many different creatures and seemed to change on a daily basis. There was also something new to see.

What made this trip so memorable was the fantastic staff at the Pelican Reef Resort. Cesar and Terri arranged all the tours we wanted to go on, and were knowledgeable about what was available and also what to avoid. All the tours picked us up at the end of our pier, as well as dropped us off there. The staff was always upbeat and willing to help out in any way to make our stay the best it could be. Omar the bartender makes a great dirty banana drink too, and the bloody mary's are to die for.

If you're looking for close access to San Pedro and a party scene, this won't be the resort for you. We appreciated the quiet at the end of the day though and the privacy that being outside of San Pedro gave us.

Room Tip: All the rooms at this resort would be wonderful.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed 29 April 2011

My wife and I decided to do something special for our 10th anniversary. We both made lists of things we wanted to do and went looking for somewhere that had it all. After searching TripAdvisor all day a review for Pelican Reef Villas popped up. Belize was not on our list - and Ambergiris Caye offered nothing we thought we wanted to do. After reading the reviews and doing a little research elsewhere, we threw out our list and scheduled our SCUBA classes - PRV's reviews settled it.

This was are best vacation to date. Our room was wonderful - our stay was wonderful - the staff was wonderful. This was exactly the vacation we wanted!

Few tips:
1. Do not rent a golf cart. It's less expensive to take a taxi both ways, and as mentioned, if you have an outing planned they will pick you up on the dock. (My wife pointed out... when we went to the Mayan ruins by boat... we were the first dropped off. It's a LONG ride - you'll be happy to be home.) Oh, and we borrowed a bike to ride in to town. Had enough steam to get there - - - ran low trying to get back.

2. Bring water shoes. If you decided to do the cave tubing you'll need them. DO NOT RENT SHOES. It sounded like a bad idea at the time - and it proved to be right.

3. Relax. If you're just looking for something to be upset at you'll find it. If you are really there to relax - everything will be great.

Our stay was perfect and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CDavidSims
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Everything about this resort deserves an A+ rating! As outstanding as the building, grounds and location are, the most memorable quality has to be the management and staff themselves. They are there to serve, and they absolutely seem to enjoy doing just that! When my stateside home had an unexpected buyer, managers Lori and Greg went out of their way to accommodate my need for their office computer and fax machine. Whenever any member of my family needed something, the staff's response was always, "We can help you with that." And help they always did!

The friendliness and sincere helpfulness of everyone at the resort reflect those same qualities as the locals we met on Ambergris Caye. We have never experienced such a high standard of genuine interest in OUR well being during any of our years of travel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MilwaukeeSunseeker2
Reviewed 9 March 2011

This was our second trip to Pelican Reef, and our 4th to Belize. The reasons we returned to Pelican Reef for a second year in a row were: (1) Great condo accommodations, convenient and safe (2) warm and friendly owners (3) helpful staff (4) great location, not too close to town and not too far.

As a mom traveling with a teenage boy, safety is very important to me. I feel very secure at PRV - you get to know the small staff quickly, so you know who belongs there. They recognize you and know where you are staying. The two bedroom condos have all the amenities I can think of: full kitchen, 2 full baths, in suite washer/dryer, 2 televisions (we don't always agree on tv shows). The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean.

The food is ok but not spectacular, but breakfast is included so it is hard to complain.

We fished with Ramon twice on this trip (and once last year), and had great success and fun. Too lazy to kayak this year, but enjoyed it last year.

PRV will arrange your flight from the mainland and pickup at the airport. Very easy!

I have no hesitation recommending Pelican Reef. It is a great place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2011

All in all, Pelican Reef Villas were good. The atmosphere, however was lacking. The streets litterally rolled up at 8:30 or 9 p.m. There was nothing going on. The bar closed at 8 p.m. The staff was friendly, Omar was delightful, and Cesar knew everything and did everything. Santos was entertaining and the beach was immaculate every day! Kanisha was new and some of her comments were unprofessional. While on vacation, I am not looking for a staffer to comment on how much wine I may or may not drink and "don't you get a headache"....or, "are you going to start drinking so soon?" The owners who I was told live on the property, were very sparse in their appearance to the guests. I was never introduced to them during the stay. My husband and I vacation in the carribean every year and owners, management, find a way to talk with us about our stay and introduce themselves to us. The BIG man (father of the owners) did present himself once at the bar. When we travel, it is usually at an all inclusive, this resort (villa) was not. I felt nickled and dimed always. Never once were we "given" a drink. Breakfast was included and the food was amazing, but nothing else. The villa itself was comfy...though the bed was rock hard...I woke every morning with a sore back. We were there with 2 other couples and over valentine's day. We had the most amazing dinner in our villa cooked by two local women who have their own catering business, Cesar hooked us up and it was well worth the $45/person American money for our absolutely wonderful gormet meal of lobster tail, pork, zucchini, baked potato, and homemake coconut cream pie!!!! Over all it was good, but it could have been better, I will not go back.

2  Thank suejimvandy
Pelican_Reef, Owner at Pelican Reef Villas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

At Pelican Reef Villas, we strive to create a very comfortable atmosphere and a personalized experience for our guests, so this reviewer’s comments are both very appreciated and, at the same time, concerning.

During the first three months of 2011, we had some staff turnover while restructuring the positions and responsibilities of our employees. The employee singled out in the review for her comments is no longer working at Pelican Reef. While Lori and I always try to take at least a few minutes with each guest during their stay, we occasionally miss that opportunity due handling all of the back-office responsibilities or making business or personal trips to the mainland or back to the US. Part of the restructuring is aimed at getting us out of the office so we can be more accessible and visible to our guests and employees. We are also extending the bar hours to at least 9 PM, with the actual closing time each evening being determined by the guests.

Pelican Reef Villas is not, nor do we market ourselves to appear to be, an all-inclusive resort. Contrary to what the reviewer stated, we give a complimentary rum punch, Belikin, or non-alcoholic beverage to every guest upon his or her arrival at the resort. The following is also included in the room rate:

• Breakfast every morning (one item from our breakfast menu and one non-alcoholic drink)
• “Welcome to PRV” gift basket
• Use of the resort’s bikes and kayaks
• Wi-fi access around the pool and bar areas (complimentary in-room internet coming soon!)
• Daily housekeeping
• Ecofresh bath products--soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion.

As part of their stay at PRV, guests can expect to pay for the following: **

• Plane ride between the mainland and Ambergris Caye
• The taxi ride from the island airstrip to Pelican Reef when you arrive and back again at the end of your stay ($12.50 USD per van each way)
• Lunch items and drinks from our Pelican Roost Bar and Grill
• All activities (tours, fishing trips, spa services, etc.) while here
• Phone credit sent to phone in unit during stay.

**All of the above is charged to your room and included in an invoice that is presented and due at check-out…in an effort to make it as pain-free and stress-free as possible. Looking at the reviewer’s check-out invoice, it consisted of massages, local and Blue Hole dives, flights, taxi, food, and drinks.

And lastly, every bed at the resort has a queen- or king-sized Perfection pillow-top mattress.

We hope that we are given the opportunity to have you stay with us on your next trip down to Ambergris Caye!

Warm Regards,
Greg Drake
Owner
Pelican Reef Villas

Reviewed 14 February 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at Pelican Reef Villas. This hotel does not disappoint. The hotel is very well maintained, beautifully furnished, and immaculate. The rooms have washers/dryers, which come in handy for long stays. The staff (including Kinesha, Omar and Cesar) was extremely friendly and and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. They helped us book the activities during our stay, including a day long boat trip for fishing/snorkeling and spa services. We had a slight issue with a last minute cancellation from the person who was supposed to take us on our boat trip (Oliver), but Cesar handled it for us and found another guide who turned out to be excellent (Island Divers Belize - Nef and Martin). The hotel is located in a quiet area that is about 15-20 minutes (via golf cart) from San Pedro, where most of the restaurant and night life activity occurs. While there are other hotels that are closer to town, we found the quiet location to be perfect for what we were looking for and enjoyed the nightly golf cart rides into town for dinner. The food at the hotel was excellent (breakfast and lunch only). The service was a little slow at times, particularly when we first arrived and the hotel occupancy was lower. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed during this time, so it would occassionally take a little longer to get your breakfast or lunch orders. We were never really in a hurry and everyone was so friendly that we didn't mind. My other complaint is not specific to the hotel and has to do with the sand flies. I got pretty bit up during our stay, so I highly recommend bug spray with deet (though it is not full proof or at least it wasn't for me). The flies didn't really bother my husband or others we spoke to, but from what I understand some are more allergic to the bites than others, so beware. I would not let this be a deterrent in any way because we absolutely loved Belize, the amazing snorkeling and diving on the reef, and this hotel and staff, but it is just something to be aware of and something you should prepare for. On a side note, I highly recommend snorkeling with Lil Alphonse. The hotel works with Serious Adventures for snorkeling and I did read some good things about them, but we booked directly with Lil Alphonse because we had heard so many great things about him. He did not disappoint.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

Absolutely fabulous! Top-notch, well-furnished condo; beautiful horizon pool looking out to the Caribbean; delicious breakfasts and lunches; BEST OF ALL: the staff! Cesar, Omar and Kinesha are simply brilliant! It was my birthday and they arranged for a beautiful flower arrangement and a cake! We were able to bring our little Yorkie, too, and they loved her like family. Cesar's dinner and expedition recommendations were always wonderful. Really, truly, the best Caribbean vacation I have ever had -- hope to go back many many times!