“Wonderful adventures, gorgeous beach, and perfect wedding!”

Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Pelican Reef Villas absolutely exceeded our expectations given it's amazing affordability. The beach and Pier are gorgeous, as is the interior of the Villa. We stayed in the most basic room and it was more luxury than I've ever experienced at a hotel. Gorgeous furniture, kitchen, and decorating. Every day or night we returned from an adventure, we felt like walking into our house, not a rented room. In addition, the staff was beyond perfect. They went out of their way to see us arrive safely and to give us a sweet, beautiful, and personalized wedding on the beach. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants a Belizean wedding, or just a comfy place to stay between adventures around the Caye.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crombiekatie
There are newer reviews for Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Reviewed 10 July 2011

My husband and I travel in March and late posting our review. From the moment I contacted Lori about booking the hotel, the experience was absolutely wonderful. We pre-arranged most activities, but as m husband researched further about dives he changed his mine. This was no problem.

When we arrived someone was at the airport to pick us up and waited with us as some of our luggage didn't make the flight. He whisked us away to the resort. We were met by Caesar with a smile. He had us all set up.

THE ROOM WAS GREAT! Clean, big, comfortable, quite, the bed was comfortable..this was the biggest thing for me as I had injured my back prior to the trip...I slept like a baby! The next morning we ordered breakfast - WOW! The banana pancakes are great. We tired many items on the menu and it was all good.

We had to change our activities twice because the dive to Turneff is not a regular trip and they had to get 8 divers. My husband said it was well worth the wait for this one. Kinesha was very happy to rearrange our trips each time :-).

The location of the hotel was great for us. Last to be picked up on the dock for dives/tours and first to be dropped off. Quite and safe location. I went running on my own and felt safe.

We rented a golf cart and think that was part of our fun and enjoyed the ride each night for dinner. Also, we traveled the island on the day we didn't have plans.

Thank you Pelican Reef Staff for the memorable vacation.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We were recommended to Pelican Reef by friends who visited last year and we were happy that we took their advise. The property is off the beaten path and out of the hustle and noise of the town. The two and three bedroom condos are beautifully decorated and spacious, the grounds and beach are perfect, and the pool bar was a welcomed sight every day we were there (ask Omar for a bloody mary or frozen mojito). The staff is very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Greg and Terri were able to arrange tours, golf cart rental and airline flights for us in advance. Terri has great recommendations for restaurants so ask her!
Pelican Reef is the perfect place to stay on Ambergris Caye! A hidden gem outside of the town! We loved every second of it!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We have been to San Pedro 5 times now and this was by far the best place we have ever stayed! It has it all, location, the BEST staff, beach, pool, food and wonderful drinks!

The ground floor is the best area to stay. Unit 7 is the prime room; it opens up to the beach in the front and walks right out into the pool area. It is on the side of the beach with less traffic. It's almost as if the beach is all to yourself!

This is by far the best place to stay on the island, it has the feel of being off the beaten path, with all the amenities of staying right in town! We can't thank the owners enough for showing us a place we will visit every year no doubt!

Room Tip: Unit 7 - GREAT VIEW, ocean front, beside the pool
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank shosh111
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We just returned from a glorious week at PRV. We were two families, 4 adults and 3 teenage girls. We had a 3 BR "garden view" condo but we still had a view of the beach and pool from the balcony where we enjoyed coffee every morning. PRV was perfect for us. The units really are as gorgeous as the photos online show but the very best thing about the resort is the staff. They arranged our outings, diving, recommended restaurants, called cabs, everything and anything we needed to make our stay fabulous. You never know when you go somewhere for the first time whether the resort has a vested interest in the tours and outfitters they recommend. Every tour or service provider PRV recommended was excellent and their motivation was purely to be sure that we had the best experience possible. I had checked online for prices of several of the things they recommended before going and they were the same that PRV quoted. They arrange everything and write you a voucher that you give the provider and you pay for it all through PRV at the end of your stay. Very convenient.

Lori and Greg, the managers. were excellent to work with. I emailed Lori at least 15 times with questions about PRV and San Pedro in general and she was so gracious to cheerfully answer them all. The bedding in the condos is very nice but the pillows on our bed were a little harder than we like. I asked if they had softer ones and -voila - that evening there were softer pillows on the bed. Housekeeping comes daily and cleans, makes beds, does dishes and refurbishes the bath products and coffee (which is really good coffee and we are coffee snobs!). Coffee is available at the bar in the mornings at sun up and a made to order breakfast is included in your rental. Lunches are also provided which was really great for us because when we returned from morning diving we didn't want to go to town to eat. The food was very good and there is enough choice that you don't have to repeat meal choices through the week. Omar makes fabulous drinks at the bar (open mid morning until late at night) and the pool is so refreshing after an hour or so laying on the beach in the hot sun. The grounds are beautiful and so well kept.

Terri and Cesar, the concierges so to speak, were so nice and fun to be around and really key to our enjoyment of the whole trip. The weather didn't cooperate with our diving plans for the first part of the week and they arranged other things for us to do that really ended up being the highlight of our trip. The girls asked Cesar about the coconuts in the trees and he just shimmied up into one and threw some down for them, then cut them open and we ate fresh coconut right there on the beach! The only thing you might want to know that we discovered was that the pool does not have a shallow end and is pretty deep for a shorty like me after you step away from the swim up bar of get off the tanning ledge. Not an issue for us but would be if we had small children.

We have traveled all over the world and stayed in a lot of resorts. Our experience at PRV was one of the best we've had and the service was superb. If we go back to Ambergris Caye we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The staff was great, couldn't ask for better service. The whole resort was beautiful and always kept very clean.

We were far enough from town for it to be quiet but close enough to take the golf cart in every day if we wanted to.

It's not a resort for small children which was fine because that was what we were looking for. We would be gone most of the day and then came back to relax around the pool and go to bed early.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This place is amazing.

The resort has a very friendly atmosphere and is located directly on the beach. They have plenty of lounge chairs by the pool and on the beach both in the sun and in the shade. There is even a hammock that I caught a few good naps in. They have a long pier that goes out a good bit from the beach which enables you to see all kinds of fish. They even had one family fishing directly off of it.

They also have kayaks that you can use to travel to the reef (free of charge). The service was amazing. Lori and Greg were great. They were a great source for food, bar and massage advice. The bartender was great (I recommend a bloody mary). The staff knew my name pretty much right away and seem to know all of the guest by name. Not sure if that is their culture but it was nice that they cared enough to remember my name. Oh the cook was amazing as well. After we got back from our fishing trip, she took the fish we caught and cooked them 5 different ways for us ( Mayan, blackened, lemon peppered, coconut and fried). It was some of the best fish I have ever eaten.

The rooms are spacious and are very nicely furnished (i.e. leather couches, full kitchen, walk in showers, queen size beds, etc. Can't say that I spent much time in them but it was nice to at least sleep in them. We booked the ocean front room which I recommend although all the rooms are pretty close to the water. The A/C works really well which made for a nice break from the heat during the day.

I recommend doing the Hol Chan snorkeling trip. It was amazing and very nicely priced. By far the best bang for your buck. The mexican rocks snorkle trip was good as well but if you can only do one do the Hol Chan / Shark Ray Alley trip. The Mayan Ruin trip was fun but make sure you get plenty of rest the day before.

The restaurants on the island are suprisingly good and well priced. I recommend eating at Caliente's (amazing coconut shrimp). Plenty of good bars but I recommend taking a golf cart accross the toll bridge and stoping at Palapa Bar (sits right over the ocean). The food at Pelican Reef is great as well. My favorite dish was their french toast platter.

Oh. You can drink the water / ice on the island. The whole island has a filtration system to clean the water. This was one of my primary concerns before I got there. I never had any issues.

One other side note......take the plane to the island........the water taxi is not worth the savings.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends