“What an amazing place to stay at!”

Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My boyfriend and I took a 9 day trip to Belize in mid March and stayed at Pelican Reef Villas for 4 nights and this was by far our favorite stay. Before our arrival we had spent 3 nights in the Jungle and the remaining two nights at Victoria House. I must say that the service at Pelican Reef Villas surpasses what was provided at Victoria House (you don't always get what you pay for). Terry & Karol made our stay wonderful; they were incredibly attentive in scheduling our day trips for snorkeling & scuba diving. Our scuba diving trip was postponed two days due to high winds but Terry each morning saw us & called Ecologic Divers. She did her best to arrange our dives and finally we were able to once the weather permitted.

The condo's are beautiful & extremely well maintained/clean! Nothing is better than being picked up/dropped off by the boat at the end of the pier and walking into your own apt. As an added bonus, there are laundry machines in each apt. The beach is immaculate and they work hard to keep it that way. You can lay out on the lounge chairs or on the hammock and you just feel like you are on a secluded beach somewhere. It feels far away from the noise of downtown but close enough to get anywhere in 10mins. We took cabs everywhere which ended up being cheaper for us in the end (cabs are typically 10 US one way)

When we find ourselves coming back to San Pedro, Belize one day Pelican Reef Villas will definitely be where we will staying! Thank you so much for an amazing experience!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mkn0430
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Pelican Reef quite simply offered the best service we have had in the past 20 years of travel. Not only was the service impeccable but we could not have asked more in the way of accommodations. We visited much of the island and I didn't see anywhere else that was this beautiful and serene to spend a vacation.

Terry and others greeted us immediately as our taxi pulled up. Our bags were whisked away to our rooms while Terry took our weary bodies to the bar for complimentary drinks. We were greeted cheerfully by many staff members and they continued to treat us as family throughout the entire trip.

Here are a few more examples of the level of detail that is offered at Pelican Reef. I casually mentioned that my son was celebrating his birthday and a home-made birthday cake, complete with candle, was delivered to the room. Not only do they make restaurant recommendations and reservations, but they make arrangements to have a taxi take you round trip to and from the restaurant. After one meal, I mentioned that I prefer spicier food so from then on, Irma, the chef, made sure to give my entrees more heat.

Our place (two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen, living/dining room, three balconies, washer/dryer) was spotless when we arrived, plus the refrigerator was stocked exactly as we had requested. WiFi is available throughout the property and we were thrilled to have so many premier cable stations (HBO, Showtime, etc.) available for evening TV watching.

In our minds Terry, Ruth, Harvey and the rest of the staff at Pelican Reef make Pelican Reef worth every penny. They each work tirelessly day and night to make this a wonderful experience for their guests.

Specific thanks to:
Terry for patiently and efficiently handling all of our requests (and there were many!)
Harvey for the perfect Dirty Monkey (drink)
Ruth for your humor, smile and wonderful drinks
Irma for keeping our food spicy just like we like it
Karol for taking care of us
Greg for listening to all of our comments

Room Tip: We stayed in #16 which was perfect for us. Although it wasn't officially on the beach/ocean, we...
2  Thank RobinWW
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This place is nice. The photos you see of the rooms are actually what you get . It's crazy!
Good money was spent on this place and we enjoyed this level of premier accomidations on San Pedro.

Room Tip: Top floor, always best!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Pelican reef has the perfect mix of luxury & self-service, roughing it & luxury.

We went to San Pedro after 4 days in Northern Guatemala and then 2 days in the jungle in Belize. My wife and I were traveling with our two sons (ages 6 and 9). We arrived about 2 hours early b/c TropicAir is way too efficient. So we caught Terry (the hotel manager) off guard she was really apologetic that she was not prepared to give us a proper welcome and have our names on the welcome board and have the staff prepared to meet us. But they grabbed our bags and she laughed and asked for a do our and the staff came out and introduced themselves and they had our name on the welcome board. We all got a kick out of it as they served us rum punch.

The resort has approx 24 rooms, but some are lived in my the owners. So it is an intimate experience. The beach is a nice hard sand beach. there is grass in the water...You don't come to Belize for the beach (hit up Saint Martin if you want a nice beach).

the kayaks and bicycles and other stuff if included. Just grab a bike or a kayak and go...no charge. NO problem.

The location is awesome. Far enough out of town to be quiet, but close enought to be ther in 5 minutes on a bike or golf cart (which they can arrange for you to rent).

The dock is a great pickup point for daily activities. Our kids were snorklers. The marine reserve is literally 4 minutes by boat. (We saw sharks, rays, morays, turtles, and tons of small aquatics - Seafarious tours rocks!)

The rooms are top notch..perfect. But beware they do have rooms on the ground floor. I would never stay in a room on the ground floor...so if this is also a problem for you then be sure to specify.

The only complaint I would have is that the breakfast and lunch service is too slow. I don't have the time for an hour lunch or breakfast...

I heard lots of people saying things like "Oh I hear it is dangerous" in Belize r something like that. We felt much safer in San Pedro then we ever felt traveling with our kids in most parts of the USA.

Room Tip: Go for a room above the ground floor...unless you like the ground floor and want your "balcony...
2  Thank corpuskungfu
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Unit # 7 is the best available. First floor with incredible non-obstructed views from the patio, living room and bedroom. View of the pool area from the second bedroom. Long dock views, absolutely breathtaking. I walked the beach for 3 miles towards town. This is by far the best location.
Quiet, clean, safe and secluded. The pool area is in a protected courtyard. Much more private than most other places I saw. No bothersome vendors.
The staff is tremendous! Always available, always willing to assist. Friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure if you are looking for views that palm trees or cabanas are not in the way!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Visited PRV March 2 thru March 7 with my husband. Upon arriving at the PRV we were instantly greeted by Terry and Ruth (both are most gracious and accommodating). Ruth immediately whipped up 2 Rum Punches to welcome us and Terry had our bags taken to the room immediately. The grounds and villa were beautiful and clean. We stayed in Villa #10 facing the ocean. We rented a golf cart for our stay (a must) and it was delivered to the villas for our use. Getting around the island is either by golf cart or cab. In the end I'm sure the golf cart ended up being cheaper that the cabs. Terry booked a reef fishing trip with Mr. Ramon for us and we caught a ton of fish, which we brought back to PRV and they cooked it up for lunch for us. Best fresh fish ever!! Terry also booked a massage for us in our villa. That was amazing and relaxing. Terry, Ruth, and Karol were all very dedicated to making sure we were taken care of and happy at all times. My husband and I would visit with Ruth in the evening (she's tends the pool bar) and we really enjoyed the conversations we had with her. We learned a lot about her culture and life and I hope she learned about ours as well. I don't have anything negative to say about this resort. My husband and I will definitely be going back (and will probably bring our adult sons back with us). It was a very relaxing and romantic vacation. We did see other places that were mentioned here on trip advisor, but I feel PRV was by far superior to the places we did see.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank juls367
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our family of 4 plus my daughter's friend just returned from our Spring Break trip in San Pedro. We did not want to leave. The staff at Pelican Reef treated us like family and took care of every detail of our vacation. Ruth, Harvey, Karol, and Terri brought smiles to our faces daily and we will always remember them. The breakfast was absolutely delicious, the pool was beyond refreshing, and the beach is breathtaking. Our villa was spacious, modern, and had a beautiful view. PRV staff made reservations for all of our meals and we cleaned our plates every time. A trip here can be as relaxing or as adventurous as you want. Terri and Karol were huge helps in planning our activities such as snorkeling and scuba diving. We loved being able to use the free kayaks and free bikes whenever we wanted. Our family would go back to Pelican Reef right now if we had the opportunity.

Room Tip: Even our pool view room gave a glimpse of the ocean.
3  Thank johnwward