“Warm, Friendly Staff in a Beautiful Setting”

and 1 more site!
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Neenah
“Warm, Friendly Staff in a Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We had a fantastic stay at Pelican Reef Villas last week. We were upgraded to a 3 BR 3 BA suite which was beautifully furnished. Comfortable beds, clean, with thoughtful touches such as books, magazines, playing cards. Has a washer and dryer and full kitchen. Breakfast was included each day and the team was helpful in anticipating our needs, making continental fresh fruit breakfasts for us the night before we left on early morning excursions. (Thanks Terri!) Lunch and snacks may be ordered at the Villas. We rented a golf cart as needed (by the hour) and that worked well for us. We also opted for a cab when needed ~$10 US one way. PRV will arrange for excursions for you if you wish, but they do take a commission on the service and so you can expect to pay slightly more than if you booked directly. That said, when we went snorkeling, my husband is a beginner swimmer and Karol helped us make sure that the guide we had would be patient and helpful for him (and he was.) So I trust the team Karol, Ruth and Terry to leverage their connections and knowledge to get us the nicest experience possible for the money. While we were there, we ate in town (PRV is 2 mi south of San Pedro) at Calientes, Victoria House, Wild Mangos, and the Lone star near the hotel. At the hotel, Harvey worked from sun up to sun down making the beach, pool, bar all clean and ready for service. Greg and Lori, the owners, came out and said hello and were very helpful. During the end of the stay, of the four of us, I was the only one who had a problem, but I did become ill. It was associated with the bottled water that is provided everywhere (excursions, stores, etc.) and not specific to the villa or food eaten. Some microbe differences that gave me problems. I needed to get some doctor's care for dehydration and the PRV team was again very caring, and very helpful. They arranged for my transport, set up after hours care with an Island doctor they trust and he helped me get in shape for my trip home. All in all, it was a fantastic, beautiful place to stay with a phenomenal team that is truly caring and welcoming. Thank you PRV!

1 Thank Janafaust

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The wife, daughter and I spent a week down in San Pedro for our annual family get away. I chose the Pelican Reef based on the testimonials listed here on Tripadvisor and I must say - it was a great choice. Pelican Reef is a great facility on a stretch of well-groomed beach that is a bit secluded compared to other parts of the island. We stayed in unit 10, a two bedroom villa on the second floor overlooking the ocean. We could see the Great Barrier Reef from our patio.

The unit is beautifully appointed, just like staying in a nice house. All the comforts you need after a hard day of touring. I'd considered leasing a golf cart for the duration of our stay, but we ended up just grabbing one from the hotel whenever we felt like making a trek into town. It came out to around thirty bucks for a three hour venture.

The staff was always on hand to facilitate any services needed. They really made the stay enjoyable - super friendly, knowledgeable and anxious to ensure your stay is great. Nice pool, good drinks, great view - we highly recommend the Pelican Reef Villas.

2 Thank Tradford
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We booked our trip a couple of months ago and just returned after a great week at Pelican Reef Villas. The staff there is so extremely helpful and friendly, thanks to Terri, Ruth, Harvey and Carol - you guys truly made our vacation wonderful!!!

We were in unit 12, which was a 3 bedroom, 3 bath villa with a great ocean view. We enjoyed everything from laying by the pool and ocean, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, BBQ lunch on a private island with Oliver (well worth spending a day with him where you will snorkel and see Manatee's, fish, have a BBQ lunch on a private island, snorkel and fish some more and you can also visit Caye Caulker if you want), touring Mayan Ruins. Terri made great recommendations for our activities as well as dinner reservations for us. Carol was fantastic in making our reservations with Island Air from Belize City to Ambergris Caye as well as arranged to have a driver pick us up from the airport in San Pedro and take us to the resort as well as back to the airport when we, sadly had to leave.

The condo is very spacious with everything you need and the resort, while small is very nice. It has an infinity pool and the pictures on the website are spot on! The best way to travel around the island is to rent a golf cart for your stay. It was nice having the golf cart as it forces you to slow down and relax, plus they are the primary means of transportation around the island and well worth it to make the trip into down town for dinner. With your room, you have daily maid service provided and can simply hang a tag out your door if you choose not to have the service.

Some of the best places to eat are Wild Mango's, Blue Water Grill, Caliente's (go on Thursday night for the Chicken Drop), Joes and the best of all is Hidden Treasure. All of them have good food, but Hidden Treasure is aptly named and well worth your visit!!!

One comment, if you scuba dive, don't expect the same type of service that you see in the states. They don't do role calls and while the dive master goes in the ocean to direct the dive, he is also the boat captain, so there is not captain on the boat to help you if you were to come back early or if you had a problem. My advice on diving, is make sure you are either diving with your own dive buddy or make sure you have total confidence in making a dive buddy prior to your dive. I'm have an advanced certification and done over 50 dives but I still like the safety and procedures that were not present with our dive operator in Belize.

A day trip to the Mayan Ruin of Laminai is well worth your time, but keep in mind it will be much hotter than what you see on Ambergris Caye, so expect to sweat, sweat and sweat some more regardless of how well conditioned you are, but pretty impressive to see the ruins.

We highly recommend Pelican Reef Villas and look forward to a future trip to Belize!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but the buildings that are right on the ocean clearly have the best views. We w...
1 Thank aaammgb
Rhode Island
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This review is long overdue, but better late than never! I loved The Pelican Reef! The staff was helpful and friendly. When we had a problem with a tour operator Terri and Carol did not hesitate to call the tour operator and get us a partial refund. Along with Ruth, Harvey and Greg, they handled everything from booking tours to making dinner reservations...I can't say enough about how helpful they were to us.

And if you love dogs you will fall in love with Indie! She is Greg's fur person and the resident pooch on site. She loves to join people for lunch on the beach and getting her back scratched.

ACCOMMODATIONS: The condo's have large rooms with an open floor plan. They are up to date with all the comforts of home. They could use a bit more of a cleaning though. The floors and bathrooms were immaculate, which is the most important to me, but others areas could have just used a good wipe down...ie: kitchen draws, trash barrel. It was nothing a Clorox wipe couldn't handle.

They do not have a restaurant, but they do serve a breakfast and lunch. The food was fantastic and the portions generous.

The grounds were immaculate. The dead sea grass was raked and the walkways were cleaned daily.

The resort is farther south and this seems to be a complaint to most travelers, which I can not understand. We rented the golf cart from Pelican and loved it! To get into town only takes about 10 minutes, which is not long at all and because the island is small you learn where everything is located very quickly. Also, the benefit of the resort's location, if you take a boat tour you are the last to be picked up and the first to be dropped off.
The wifi was not working well when we first arrived, but Greg stayed on top of the IT guys and everything was up and running by midstay.

I highly recommend the Pelican Reef and can not wait to stay there again!

WHERE TO EAT:
Red Ginger @ The Phoenix: The food was fantastic and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We arrived around 5:30 when they are technically closed...lunch ends at 2:30 and dinner starts at 6:00. They welcomed us in and let us order drinks and peruse the menu while we waited for the restaurant to officially open.

Elvis Kitchen: So glad Wild Mangos was closed...again...I'll get to that later. We might have missed this fun little place. The floor is entirely covered in beach sand! You would think that this would create a mess everywhere, but the staff must work overtime because when I entered the restroom there wasn't a speck of beach sand anywhere. Food was delicious and our server was warm and friendly. He even taught us how to wrap the little napkins that everyone puts over the top of the beers.

Victoria House: I have to admit that this was not my favorite place. My boyfriend made reservations here to celebrate my 40th birthday because it is one of the nicest on the island. The food was good, but the poor service from our server made the experience disappointing. He was dismissive to us and wanted to rush us out. And he either didn't know what was on the menu or just ignored me because I did not get what I ordered. The place was not busy so I am at a loss to explain such bad service.

Wild Mangos: You really have to pay attention to the opening/closing hours. It took us 3 tries before we finally were able to go there when they were actually open. The food was ok. I had read about this restaurant on a blog and she raved about the Fire&Ice ceviche. Maybe it was the fact that we tried 3 times to go here and built it up in our heads, but everything was just ok.

Hidden Treasure: Good food, large portions and friendly staff.

Blue Water Grill: We only had lunch here and it was very good. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It is located on the beach, which gives it a very relaxed feel.

TOURS:
Snorkeling:
The Pelican booked our snorkeling tour of Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley through Searious Adventures. We had great tour guides who were friendly and knowledgeable.

BLOGS:
Before leaving for Ambergris Caye I did a lot of research and I found a blog that was very helpful called San Pedro Scoop. And even though I am now home, I still enjoy reading the blog.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank GiGi2010
Reno, NV
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Incredible vacation... Six of us visited Pelican Reef in early May for 7-9 nights (2 condos) and loved every minute. From the initial conversations and planning with Karol before we arrived to the impeccable service by Harvey, Terri, Ruth and the entire team throughout the entire trip...we did not want to leave. The guys made the swim up bar their favorite spot many days while the girls enjoyed some relaxing time in the sun. The staff learned our names right off the bat and took time to get to know each of us - we felt right at home from the moment we were picked up from Tropic Air, to the complimentary drinks upon arrival, to the delicious breakfast options(loved that breakfast was available until 11 each day) to the suggestions of restaurants, stores, to the flowers given to us when we were leaving, etc. You never had to ask for anything - the staff seemed to be everywhere and worked very long days to ensure the visit was exceeding all expectations. A good example of this was when we could not get the charcoal to burn in the BBQ for our fish and Harvey got out a fan to get air onto the coals so they would light. The condos were just the right size, had most supplies you needed (recommend including paper towels in the room and adding an ice machine for us to get ice from since the ones in the condos always seem to be low) and we never had to worry about finding a chaise lounger available on the beach to just relax. It was quiet and peaceful throughout the week and we did not have to worry about being bothered by folks selling bags, and other handmade goods if we were not interested. The pier was beautiful - we often walked out to see if we could get a glimpse of the many stingray, turtles, barracuda, and other species. It was also extremely convenient to have all excursions leave right from the end of the pier...no going into town or walking to another meeting point. Got to do Oliver's tour if you come- AWESOME!!! We also got a golf cart for the week - which made frequent trips to town entertaining. We also found Robin's Kitchen on last few nights - a steal for dinner (and for cooking all our fish and shrimp for us) that is just up the street a little bit from Pelican Reef. We walked and ran along the beach as well as used the free kayaks and bikes and were very pleased with our choice of lodging. It was also great to see Greg (owner) come and chat with all of us as well and make sure we were satisfied with our stay. He should be proud of the team he has in place - very customer focused! I could go on and on about the incredible fun in the sun but I'll leave that for my friends to share. We are all already talking about when we can return and have started telling everyone we know about this great vacation spot. Keep up the great work and we hope to see you all soon.

Room Tip: We were in #9 - keep in mind that the windows in the oceanfront rooms are very bright- may want the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank KandDH
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Just returned from San Pedro. We were there for 9 nights & stayed 5 of those nights at Pelican Reef Villas and had a wonderful time. We were married on the beach at the resort on Sunday 4/29. It was a perfect & stress free day. The staff at Pelican Reef is top notch. Ruth & Harvey the bartenders know how to make awesome mojito's and pina colada's. Terri is great at recommending resturants and activities. Karol decorated our table for our wedding dinner on the beach and it was absolutely beautiful. Erma is an excellent chef...try the conch fritters (yum!). Lori & Greg (the owners) are fantastic. Very friendly and involved in the resort. Lori took care of all the details for our wedding so all we had to do was show up with my dress! We rented a golf cart for the duration of our stay. The resort is a couple of miles from town which we loved. We could ride to town for nightlife but the resort is far enough away that it is very private. The suite we stayed in (#3) had a beautiful view of the water and pier. Everything was clean and in good condition. We hope to return around the holidays and will be staying at Pelican Reef!!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room if possible
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cbbeachbabe
houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We could not have been happier with our choice of resorts on ambergris caye in Belize. Pelican Reef is run by Texans and they have brought their Texas hospitality south...although everyone on the island is super friendly! The rooms were clean and beautiful and the staff was the best in town! Terry and Ruth and the rest of the staff met our taxi and welcomed us by our names with a complimentary rum punch. The food was excellent and Terry expertly advised us about restaurants, diving & snorkling and all other activities! Greg was a wonderful host and even offered to go with us to the blue hole next time when our daughter didn't have a great time with a scuba operator. We met other fun people from all over the states and Canada, and even
More folks from Texas. The location of the property, 3 miles south of San Pedro, may seem like a long way, it was never a problem and it made the resort very quaint and quiet, which was fantastic! We would highly recommend Pelican Reef!

• Stayed May 2012