“Terrific Family Vacation Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Manhattan Beach
“Terrific Family Vacation Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from Pelican Reef Villas and had a wonderful time while there. Even prior to arrival, I really appreciated the time and efforts provided by Lori to accommodate our family requests. I don' think there was a question I asked that Lori couldn't help with and she was very timely in responding to my email questions.

Things started off a bit shaky in that the airline lost our 8-year old son's suitcase. That anxiety was a bit relieved with the welcoming rum punch at the resort. The staff immediately began the baggage recovery process for us, and two days later had it delivered to our room. Thanks to Eliazar for his special efforts on this, and for all his great help throughout our week with daily event planning. Cesar too was always helpful in attending to whatever our needs were.

As I read from another reviewer, Lori is quite the expert handling birthdays. During our stay at Pelican Reef, it was my wife's birthday. Lori was kind enough to make a birthday cake for her (complimentary) which we all thoroughly enjoyed out in the dining/drinking area. She also arranged a very special dinner for us that night on another part of the island.

The beachfront ground floor (#5) two bedroom villa we had was fantastic, especially with the bedrooms on either end of the unit, affording us a little privacy from the kids at night. I can't imagine anyone could complain about these units, with granite and stainless steel everywhere. The furnishings were great, the beds comfortable, the A/C kept us all comfortable.The resident gecko kept the kids entertained. My two personal favorites were the flat panel TV and I especially liked the glass brick wall from the shower/bath to the outside pool area, though some might find that a bit too revealing :).

My kids loved the small pool, the beach, the dock, and especially the two dogs that always seemed to be around and in the mood to play.

All in all, this was a great spot and really a good value. We have traveled extensively throughout many tropic regions. Pelican Reef and Ambergris Caye are right up there with the best and I would whole heartedly recommend this resort. Some other advice; Keep plenty of pocket money on hand for taxi's as the town of San Pedro is too far to walk, or consider renting a golf cart. Consider bringing in your favorite cocktails from duty free stores at U.S. airports, as the price of a bottle of booze in Belize is about triple the U.S. price. Also, definitetly load up on bug repellent. I don't get bit too bad, but my wife and daughter got eaten alive if they forgot to lather up. Luckily the resort provides it free of charge if you forget to bring your own.

We really send a heartfelt thanks to Lori, Greg, Eliazar and the rest of the staff at Pelican Reef Villas Resort.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ManhattanBeachNeil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

While my wife was off to a high school reunion our 21 year old daughter and I decided a trip to Belize was in order. We had a fabulous time. We found our 2 bedroom 2 bath 2nd floor villa to be extremely nice. The only negatives would be very loud AC (which was only an issue when we would watch a little TV at night before bed) and not very comfortable mattresses on the beds. Other than that – an absolutely excellent facility.

We did not spend a lot of time at the facility as we were generally off diving, snorkeling, on inland adventures, etc. but the time we spent "hanging out" on the beach was made more enjoyable by having dogs that were always willing to hang out with you. They would also usually be there to greet us upon returning to the dock from whatever adventure we had done for the day.

Did not see the managers - Lori and Greg (other than Lori at check-in) but Lori was very helpful in assisting with making the reservations, answering questions prior to the trip, arranging flights from Belize to San Pedro, having a driver to meet us at the airport, etc. Generally she was just very helpful and wanting to make everything smooth and easy for us.

"E" was great - always around to help us set up trips, make restaurant recommendations (and setting up transportation and dinner reservations), and generally would do whatever it took to help make our stay memorable.

I can't really comment on how it would rate to other facilities as this is the only trip we have made to Belize and therefore the only facility at which we have stayed. Having said that, my daughter and I both left knowing we would like to return to Belize and would not hesitate to stay at Pelican Reef once again.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank CCTravelTime
north carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

We just returned from 9 days at Pelican Reef and it was awesome!!!!!! The villa was beautiful with all the comforts of home. The staff was very helpful and informative . They made us all feel welcome. The locals were all very friendly as well. This is a great place for a busy family to get away from schedules and routines.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank wxwbob
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

My husband and I just returned from 9 glorious days at Pelican Reef Villas to celebrate his 50th birthday. We were met in San Pedro by a taxi sent by Lori and Greg and greeted with a delicious rum punch upon arriving at the resort. After sign in we were escorted to our villa (really a condo) which exceeded our expectations-it was absolutely beautiful and first class in every aspect and all the pictures you see really do not do it justice. To our amazement there was a "Happy Birthday" banner hanging in the kitchen along with a bottle of champagne!! This is just one example of the type of extradinary service and caring you receive from everyone at Pelican Reef . We have traveled extensively to Egypt, Australia, Carribean, Mexico, Central and South America and this trip will be one of our most memorable.

The grounds of the resort are breathtaking and within I'd say less than 2 hours we were both relaxed and stress free. The pool is amazing-when you are in it you feel as though you are one with the sea the way that it was built. The beach is post card perfect and there is a 340 foot pier that you can snorkel under that is host to a wide variety of beautiful fish and sea life. The water is the prettiest shade of blue, warm and crystal clear.

One of the best things about Pelican Reef aside from its beauty, charm and luxury accommodations has to be its staff. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE went out of their way to see if there was anything at all they could do for us. They give new meaning to the expression "Service with a smile!" Even before I formally made our reservations Lori was right on top of things and made everything seem so effortless. Lori proved to be even more delightful in person as is her husband Greg. Eliazar and Cesar who work the bar area and help with reservations, tours, etc. are both two of the nicest people that you will ever meet anywhere. They are always smiling and ready to go that extra mile to see that you have a great vacation. Diago who maintains the beach and grounds is always happy and smiling and just a delight.

On Mike's birthday Lori surprised him with a homemade birthday cake which had to be one of the most thoughtful and kind things anyone could ever do for someone. This is just another example of perfection personified! You will not be disappointed if you stay here-belive me you will have one of, if not the best vacation of your life!

You will never run out of things to do while you are here-or just do nothing but enjoy your beautiful surroundings. Holchan & Shark Ray Alley are awesome but honestly any where you snorkel along the reef you will see the most amazing fish and coral formations. We purchased an underwater camera before we came here and I am so glad we did because we have some amazing pictures of sea turtles, sting rays, sharks, eels, and some of the most beautiful fish you will ever see! The town is immaculately clean and offers an abundance of wonderful places to eat and drink along with friendly happy people. It is also extremely safe which should be a major factor when considering where to go on vacation these days.

In a nutshell our vacation at Pelican Reef Villas was pure perfection in every way! We loved everything about it and everyone that worked there as well as some of the people that owned condos at the resort or came to visit from nearby. Lori has already emailed to make sure we returned home safely-not only does that bring "customer service" to the next level-but to us-hopefully friends for life.

In closing I cannot say enough good things about our stay at Pelican Reef Villas and all the wonderful people that we met there. If you are looking to have a fabulous vacation you should definitely come here as I promise you Pelican Reef Villas and its staff will exceed all of your expectations in every way. Please feel free to email me if you would like to know anything specific about the resort or if you have any questions-I will be happy to answer them. Our only negative was that WE HAD TO LEAVE AND COME HOME!!!!!!!!!! We definitely plan on coming back and staying at this wonderful resort.

I almost forgot-you must try Lori's Cinammon French Toast for breakfast as it is the best I have every had!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DianaFortWorth_Texas
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

The Pelican Reef Villas was a really nice resort. My wife and I and another couple stayed here in May 2009 for five nights. The resort located on a nice beach and very quiet. We stayed in a two bedroom villa that was very comfortable and reasonably priced. The staff is great and very attentive. The two guys that are always around are Eliazar and Cesar. They will help you with anything and everything. Definitely the most attentive and overall best resort staff I have ever encountered.
The resort is located a few miles from San Pedro, which is the main town on Ambergris Caye. It’s great because it is away from the noise of the town, but a quick and fun ten minute golf cart ride in. The beach at the resort is filled with white sand and palm trees. There is also a nice dock stretching out over the water that is great to hang out on and the pool overlooking the water is great. There is a comfortable bar that you can swim up to or relax at a nearby table. Eliazar and Cesar will recommend good food and cool bars. With that said, skip the nicer restaurants and eat the street food. Waruguma restaurant is a small local place that has the best papusas we have ever had. The owner makes them at a small stand in from of the restaurant. They also have excellent shrimp burritos inside. Stop by the central plaza after a long night of bars for more great burritos and street food. I recommend skipping Fido’s, it’s a bit overpriced and not really that good.
To get to Ambergris you can either take a 1.5 hour boat or a 20 minute small plane with either Tropic or Maya air. We went to the Maya counter and offered to pay with cash and received a rate of $85 per person round trip. We rented our golf cart through the hotel. When you land at the small air strip on the island there are several places to rent them right there. Even though the price charged at the hotel is the same published rate at the places in town you could probably get a better price by bargaining with these guys. Free market competition at its best!!
The room was very comfortable, as mentioned we had two couples in a two bedroom unit. There was plenty of room for the four of us with two bedrooms, two full baths, large kitchen, dining area and living room. There is also a great balcony overlooking the water. Belize was great, very beautiful and the people were really nice and welcoming. I definitely recommend Ambergris and the Pelican Reef to anyone!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank IlmNCPanther
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

A large group of us stayed at the Pelican Reef Resort in June 2009. We picked this place not only because of the really great reviews here on trip advisor (which I must say were spot on!), but because we were a large group and wanted to be close together. Pelican Reef is a smaller, more intimate, property about 2 ½ miles South of town. It is far enough away from the town to be private and quiet, but still very close (15 minutes on a golf cart of bicycle) for dinners and nightlife. We don’t enjoy a beach full of people and vendors so this was perfect for us!

The condos are absolutely beautiful on the interior with leather furniture, pillow-top mattresses, sleigh bedroom suites, granite counter-tops, marble bathrooms, and stainless appliances. Each condo is outfitted with everything you need while you are there so no need to bring irons, hair-dryers, or beach towels. We loved having the fully equipped kitchens so that we could cook dinners in the evenings or spice up our daily catch to grill downstairs on the barbeque. We stayed in a three bedroom/ three bath that was on the top floor and two-story. The views were fantastic!! The rest of our group was scattered in two bedroom villas and each of theirs was just as nice as ours. I was amazed at the intricate details on the interiors of each villa. They each have their own style, but most definitely on the higher end of décor and furnishings. I have been to Ambergris Caye several times and have stayed at the Victoria House twice and La Pearla once and I can honestly say that the Pelican Reef’s interiors were superior.

The grounds at Pelican Reef are also immaculate. The pool / cave bar (this was awesome!) are at the center of the property and have a very tropical feel. These folks have done a great job landscaping as it is beautiful! There are many plants and trees with brightly colored flowers that give off such a great vibe. I loved swimming to the infinity line of the pool and looking out over the beautiful Caribbean Sea. The pool is a lot closer to the beach area than other places I have stayed and this makes for great views – which I loved. The cave has a waterfall that you swim through to access the wet-bar. This was too cool; Definitely a lovely design idea! The beach is about 200 ft that belongs to Pelican with private houses on either side. The beach was always clean and I never found it a problem to find a beach lounger and umbrella. There were about 22 nicely padded beach loungers on the beach, probably 6 umbrellas, cocktail tables next to the loungers, hammocks, decorated massage structure, and two palappas on the beach. The padded beach loungers are definitely a nice touch, as were the hammocks! There are also 6 loungers on one side of the pool with umbrellas and cocktail tables and tables and chairs for poolside dining on the other side. The property is well done and very pleasing to the eyes.

The managers have two fantastic dogs (Buddha and India) that we very much enjoyed playing with in the evenings when they were let out. We never, not once, in the entire two week stay saw the dogs doing their “business” on the beach. Lori and Greg only let them out in the early mornings and evenings (unless we begged them to come play with us) and made sure the dogs were picked up after immediately. The dogs were never a problem for us in fact, we enjoyed having them around! Be sure and throw coconuts for little India – she loves to play fetch and we were amazed at how far she would swim into the Sea for a coconut!

The wharf that belongs to Pelican Reef is about 400 feet out into the Sea and has a fantastic snorkeling reef underneath. Yes, it is true that all beaches have sea grass, but we did not find this to be a problem while swimming and snorkeling at the end of the wharf. There was ladder access and it was about 4 ½ feet deep. Just perfect and we saw abundant sea life each day! The wharf also has a palappa at the end with bench seating and was the perfect place to relax with a glass of wine and watch the sunset each day.

The staff at Pelican Reef (leaving the best for last) were just superb and deserve a big thumbs up!! Being at a smaller property you really get a chance to experience the different personalities working there and we enjoyed each and every one! They really go the extra mile to make sure your stay is a time for luxury and comfort. Cesar is a gem and not only makes great cocktails behind the bar, but also started fires for us on the bbq pits, plucked coconuts for our kids, helped us carry groceries to our villa, and provided great conversation all around. Eliazar (Big “E”) is also a great host and helped us rent golf carts, book tours, and make dinner reservations. (Caliente was one of our favorites!) He was always there to give good information and help us plan the activities for our stay. We really loved the snorkeling trips he sent us on. He also gave us great tips on where (and where not to) shop for produce and groceries. I also highly recommend a picnic trip with Oliver that entails fishing, snorkeling, and a beach bbq. Oliver was fantastic, but be sure and book in-advance as he is in high demand! Greg, Lori, and baby Colton live on-site and were always around wearing a smile and happy to offer assistance any way they could. I must mention they were fantastic in the booking process always happy and quick to answer the many questions our group threw at them. We shipped a few things prior to our arrival and they were happy to take care of the duty charges on our behalf and made sure the items were there for our arrival. This was such a bonus and I don’t know many people who would be this kind and accommodating! We were also there when some of the other guests got in a bit of trouble with the law for allowing a minor to drive and I couldn’t believe the extents they went to for this family. It was truly endearing!

We also met Arlando, who is the only full-time resident on the property, and he was a very interesting character. He is actually retired television producer from LA and worked on many famous sitcoms such as The Jefferson’s and Married with Children. He even has an Emmy in his house from the Olympics! He was quite a hoot!

All in all, this is a fantastic property and I will recommend everyone I know that is planning on an Ambergris Caye vacation to stay here. I know, without a doubt, they will be just as pleased as we were!

• Stayed June 2009
5 Thank srogers5250
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

The country of Belize is absolutely beautiful, and San Pedro on Ambergris Caye is the place to stay! Everyone there is very friendly, and the atmosphere is energizing yet relaxing at the same time. To sum it up best, San Pedro is the kind of place where I could live.

Specifically, Pelican Reef Villas made our stay most memorable. The service was impeccable and much more than I expected. E and Cesar were there to answer any questions that we had, scheduled outings, made restaurant reservations, fixed great drinks and food, and even acted as repairmen for us when our AC lost its coolant. Most importantly, they did it all with a smile. These two guys and all the rest of the staff that we met, including the developer, had friendly personalities and seemed to really enjoy just talking with the guests.

The 3 bedroom villa was amazing. It is the perfect size for 5 or 6 people. Everyone in our group had plenty of privacy in the separate bedrooms but thoroughly enjoyed the togetherness of sharing the kitchen and living room. Also, the villa touches and furnishings made us all feel like we were in the lap of luxury.

The overall size of the resort is perfect, too. While we were there, we pretty much had the resort to ourselves. We rarely met anyone other than the staff at the pool. So, most every day, we had the pool and beach to ourselves! That may have been due to the time of year or it may have been due to the size of the resort.

Location was also perfect. The villa is about 2 miles outside of San Pedro, which makes it great for added privacy and quiet. That end of the Caye is not overly crowded; so, the atmosphere is very peaceful. Rented golf carts made transit to and from San Pedro both fun and simple.

The only minor drawback is the sea grass. Most beaches on Ambergris Caye have sea grass, which makes wading in the water difficult. The resorts there are not permitted to clear the grass for the most part, so you're stuck with it most places you go. However, Pelican does a good job of making up for that with the pier. There is a nice pier right off the beach that offers great snorkeling. The water is only about 4 feet deep there, so it's perfect to float around, swim, or snorkel.

Overall, I highly recommend this villa!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends