“Super place with manager's to die for....”

White Sands Cove Resort
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 30 December 2013

White Sands is a great place in its own, but with Ward and Jenna as managers, and Doris as the bartdnder/waitress, you cannot go wrong.... It's further from town than we thought, but the water taxi is very reasonable at $5 per one way trip, and a variety of places within a half mile to walk for meals you decide to eat elsewhere. They are closed Wednesdays, and don't have breakfast, which we wish was offered, even it it was only fruit and fryjacks/bread, etc..... and they were closed Christmas and Boxing Day, but again, nearby places were open so all was well. They units are SUPER clear, nicely decorated, screened in porches and only a few of them (maybe 12 or so total?). We were in the Hummingbird Suite and it's unique and we liked it...although a beach view unit would be our choice next time. The pool area is plenty big, and the pool extremely clean. Both Ward and Jenna go out of their way to be helpful, friendly and make the trip A-OK. We'd lost a piece of luggage and they did everything to get it to us as soon as possible. They're hard workers in general. The food was very good we had there, and the drinks awesome, but I think we need more variety, and snack type things during the day, so we ventured off quite a bit for meals.They have coffee made every day at 7:30 a.m., so at least you can have that. It's a nice, quitet location. They do have carts for rent but the road is so bad you may not want to tackle it (we didn't); and they have bikes for use (free to guests) and the path that runs along in front of the resort(s) and in front of the beach is great for bike riding or walking.

Room Tip: If you want a screened in porch, choose the unit where the Hummingbird Suite is, if you instead want...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia J

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at WSC during a recent week in Belize and had a fantastic time! The whole staff were approachable and really went out of their way to make you feel at home and help you anyway possible. We cannot say enough about Jenna and Ward - they literally gave us the shoes off their feet, when we realized we didn't have the right ones for cave tubing!

Our vacation was an active one - diving, day excursions, etc. WSC and the on-site dive shop helped us organize everything, including all internal flights. We just showed up and away we went! It was always great to come back at the end of the day though - relax at the bar or by the pool, get excellent restaurant recommendations and generally recharge for the day.

Next time we are in Ambergris Caye, there is only one place we'll stay - WSC!

Room Tip: Take the top floor of the ocean view rooms - nice and quiet, plus you get a nice elevated view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank r17sharma
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at WSC for four days and I will be staying there again if Ward and the rest of the staff are there. Great experience from top to bottom. Anything and everything we needed, be it a last minute request to go kayaking or booking a snorkeling trip... they handled it and made it easy on us. WSC doesn't have that "resort" feel. It felt more like a community of good people/friends. Very clean, very professional, and what a view... Make sure to ask Doris for her award winning Margarita. Best I've had, and I've tried plenty in my days. Thank you Ward and Jenna for being excellent "hosts." You guys are amazing.

Do the snorkel trip! It's a must. Swimming with sharks or stingrays on your bucket list? The reef and fish were amazing and just a tip.... moray eels are semi-blind, attracted to movement, don't freak out and start trying to swim away, they will just chase you! HAHA

I would make one recommendation, actually has nothing to do with WSC... take the puddle jumper from the airport, do NOT take the water taxi. It sounded fun but I for one will never do that again. To sum it up, a very rough, long, ride and of course, our boat broke down half way there. I'm sure it rarely happens, but it wore us down after a long flight.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corry S
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Didn't stay here, but stopped by for happy hour and jerk lobster.
A great place to go for cheap afternoon drinks. The jerk lobster was delicious - so flavourful and really, really spicy - but, if you can't handle spice this is definitely not the meal for you. Not to worry, the offer lots of other dishes if jerk isn't for you.

Can't comment on the accommodations, but the grounds and the pool were kept clean.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I just returned from 5 fantastic days being a guest at this amazing place! I was met immediately at the San Pedro Airport as promised by a driver and taken to White Sands Cove. Ward the manager was there to greet me personally to take my bags and escort me to the bar/grill for a welcome treat. I stayed in the Hummingbird Loft, and it was everything and more than the pictures represented. The entire staff was friendly and helpful, and they were willing to do anything you asked of them. The grounds are maintained and groomed to something quite beautiful. My view from my private, screened-in porch overlooked huge trees full of birds and thousands of dragonflies...so awesome. The food at the bar/grill was also very good...I never disliked anything served to me. Doris the bartender was so friendly and fun to talk to as well. Also, the guys in the dive shop were very accommodating and took me on the most ridiculously fun snorkeling excursion to the reef and then on to hold and play with nurse sharks and stingrays....unreal! Let's not forget the resident pooches Chico and Chica either; they were so nice and just loved to have their bellies scratched and fed with whatever you offered. Chico even secretly followed me to my room last night in the rain while I was carrying my bike-delivered Pirate Pizza from town. I had no idea he was there until I heard his little toenails sneakily following me up to the 2nd floor. I am already planning my return trip over Memorial Day weekend. I can go on and on, but trust me it was that good.

Room Tip: There are many options for couples or singles who want near the pool or ocean, but the lagoon/garden...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank oceanboy75
Reviewed 29 November 2013

After 14 years we made our return to Ambergris. Previously we stayed in San Pedro Town. White Sands Cove was the perfect spot for my wife and I. The location, amenities and super friendly staff made us believers in White Sands Cove and put it at the top of our list for the location to return to with our two kids. Thank you Ward, Jenna, Doris, Marlon, Manguella, Chris and of course Chico and Chica. I would consider the area around WSC to be the "mid-town" of the island - comfortably located 2 miles north of busy downtown San Pedro Town, but not too far "uptown" to miss out on convenient spots like, Aji, the Lazy Croc, Ak'Bol, Palapa Bar and Pirate's Treasure - all places where we could walk to and enjoy the company of very friendly and interesting people, not to mention terrific menu options. WSC has a terrific menu as well and the hands down best chef in the area. Travel by golf cart, bike or boat will get you to any spot on the island. Many excursion opportunities are available and can be booked through the dive shop. All things considered, WSC is a terrific value and clearly the spot we'd suggest those new to Ambergris. Counting the days until we return again.....

John & Kris - Harrisburg, PA

Room Tip: Beachfront second floor is the best spot.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here during low season in October of 2013. We had an oceanfront room with a beautiful view! The room had AC, so heat was not an issue. We used the complimentary bikes to explore the island. The restaurant and bar at the resort is fantastic. We went on a fishing trip and caught some fish and they cooked it up for us! The staff are incredibly friendly and informative. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple