“Now I know how Jay-Z vacations.”
Review of Azul Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Azul Resort
Ranked #42 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 7 March 2011

THIS PLACE IS A DREAM! To try to describe it, it was like having a luxury vacation home on the most beautiful private beach ever, with a full staff to take care of you.

First, the place: Indescribable. The photos do not do the place justice. Everything was well designed, loved all the little details. (I am a designer from nyc if that gives me any credibility to comment.) Even the coffee table was made from this exotic Belizean wood, stunning (I fantasized having it in my living room but wouldn't fit in my carry on) Loved how there were so many chill out spots- by the dock, by the infinity pool (also wanted it in my living room), hammocks everywhere, by the reflection pool/cocktail bar, in the restaurant, on the rooftop with a jacuzzi. (yes- ROOFTOP ON A JACUZZI!)

The staff: Ridiculous. They were so attentive and great. Met the owners, Viv and Jeff. They are super cool I want to facebook friend them. Seriously! The manager Fin was making me laugh everytime I saw him. They have this amazing group of dogs there too (SHRIMP!)

The restaurant: ROJO was phenomenal. Jeff is a very talented chef, pls try the grits! Or the udon, or the conch and sausage pizza! The cocktails complimented the food too- the frozen mojito, mango margarita-yum. I am long going to crave these. So impressed, I could see this place in NYC doing very very very well. They incorporate local ingredients and make it adventurous but not pretentious. We even hunted for conch's when we went snorkeling and they used it in dinner!!! How cool is that?

One day we snorkeled to the reef (which was very close) tied it to a booey and saw uni, colorful fishes, turtles. We took the boat out to snorkel and swam with sharks! This sounds like I am making it up, I know, or watching an episode from Travel Channel but it's real. Everyone should experience Azul. It's now my happy place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank city_gial

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Recently had our wedding at the Azul Resort. Aside from the incredible experience of having our wedding on a pristine beach, Azul itself is an amazing experience. Perfect setting and amazing accommodations are paled by the incredibly gracious hosts and staff. The food was SPECTACULAR and the length Chef Jeff and staff went to make us feel at home was pleasantly overwhelming. I honestly can't say enough good things about the Azul Resort and Rojo Lounge. I hope you have the chance to find out for yourself.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Laughingjackal
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My husband and I went to Azul for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we were treated like family....and royalty. The food was fresh and organic and DELICIOUS and the drinks were unbelievable. The pictures of the resort dont do it justice. The staff is kind and incredibly accomodating. My time at Azul was indescribable and also can not do the resort justice. There was so much character and beauty at Azul.

The hammocks, infinity pool and private roof top cabana with hot tub and exclusivity and privacy made this place like a little piece of heaven. I feel as if the owners went the extra mile to add touches that weren't necessary but made the experience more enjoyable than could be imagined.

My (new) husband and I are trying to figure out when to return. If I had my way it would be tomorrow.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcchrissycat
Reviewed 11 October 2010

My wife and I recently returned from our week-long honeymoon, which we spent at Azul. Although I have admittedly not done a lot of travelling for leisure, I have stayed at some of the best hotels/resorts in the U.S. and Europe for work. Without question, I would rate Azul above them all. From the moment we arrived until our departure, the folks who make up Azul provided an experience that we will always remember. Azul is beyond elegant and luxurious, but not because it tries. For us, the beauty was the resort itself and the people who bring it to life. The food is oustanding, the villas are beautiful, and the beach/views are incredible. With that said (and I could go on and on), the best example of what made our trip a 10/10 is actually quite simple. Each day our fridge was stocked with a variety of beers, soda, etc. On the third day of our trip, my wife very briefly mentioned that she wanted to try a Belikin stout beer at some point during our trip. The next day, and without saying a word, our fridge was stocked with that beer. To me, that is what makes Azul memorable - everything you could want or hope for in a trip is there, and the resort will make sure you will experience it - with ease.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCS529
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This resort was truly incredible. This was my first trip with my husband alone after our son was born and it lived up to every amazing review we found. So here is break down that probably won't do it justice.

The House/Room: Wonderful! Large and spacious. The bed was so heavenly and totally closed off from the bright morning sun. We were able to have access to the dish TV and their extensive DVD selection. (I think we watched it once-too busy relaxing!) and the surround sound was great. We were worried not having air conditioning in the bathrooms would make the house stuffy, but it didn't at all. And every time we needed the fridge restocked it was, which was awesome! You are given a computer and cell phone with numbers programmed in in case you need anything, any time, any where!! In San Pedro and need something? Just call! It's that easy!

The Grounds: Seriously amazing. We mainly hung out on the private pier and occasionally the infinity pool. The roof top desk was great, but we only went up there for a quick drink before dinner. The view is great, but we loved being on the water. There are also private hammocks (2 per house under a private hut) that we relaxed on for days and days. There was also really great snorkeling off the pier that was really good. You couldn't really walk too far along the beach to other properties because it was rocky and impassable in some places. We did see some people biking down the beach though.

Excursions: We actually had Findley book a private snorkeling and fishing excursion for us. It was so much fun! He packed us an incredible lunch and all the drinks we needed. It was kind of expensive, but the fishing guide was really great and fun. We also picked up a snorkeling guide and at first I thought it wasn't necessary, but once we were out at the reef, I was so glad he was there. Not only did he point out amazing stuff, but it was so nice having someone else keep and eye on our boat and how far we were from the other tours. He kept a gauge on the current, and how far out we were and it was so much fun. My husband and I have are pretty experienced but he was really worth it. Chef Jeff even made a custom four course meal from the fish we caught that night and

We also took a private water taxi to San Pedro one day and it was OK. Nothing great, but so many of the shops were closed. Glad we went, the referral to the restaurant that we went to was really good, and it was nice to get away from the resort for a couple hours. But, it was just OK.

Staff: It is exactly like you see online. Chef Jeff, Vivian and the staff meet you at the pier with drinks in hand. You truly feel like you are THE most important guest they have ever had. A-Ma-Zing. Findley arranged for everything we wanted and his dog, Shrimps, was super fun too. Vivian even emailed with us about a hurricane that was to hit Belize the day we were to arrive and she totally helped guide us in our travel plans, and deal with our super needy travel question. She also gave us an incredible "must bring" list to make our stay beyond and we were so thankful to have tips from her.

Food: So this is the deal. This place is expensive-and yes, the house is great and the beach is beautiful. The staff is friendly and the service is wonderful. But the food......oh, the food. The food is beyond incredible. Everything on the menu was so amazing it was a tough choice. However, the great thing about having the food included, is that you can try a little of everything! The dishes are served tapas style so it is a great way to get a little taste of everything. And let me tell you, I live in Texas and Chef Jeff's ribs are the best I have had in a long time!! The ingredients were fresh and the dishes burst with flavors that were a perfect compliment to the native fruits and seafood. There was more than one occasion that we simply ordered "what the chef suggested" even if we no clue what it was. The drinks were also great. The frozen mojito was incredible...especially sipped from the nearest hammock.

Cons:
-It kinda takes a while to get here. Don't get me wrong, it is worth it. BUT, a plane to Belize, another to San Pedro and a boat to the resort makes it a trip. I
-We went in early July and the mosquitos were on the cusp of getting bad. We were prepared so it was OK though. When we ate at Rojo Lounge, the bugs could get bad, but we kept the Off close by and the breeze from the ocean kept the majority of everything ay bay.
-The in-room "mini-bar" charges were way too high. You can purchase the same items in the Rojo Market for literally half the price. But, being on a island, you should expect less than fresh chips, nuts (or similar things) so buyer beware. You won't be hungry though, just head to Rojo Lounge.

The only reason I mention the "con's" is so you don't think this review is way to unrealistic. Azul Resort is as incredible as any review you have read.

Enjoy!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a_happy_wife
Reviewed 18 February 2008

This was the most amazing beach vacation ever! Beautiful sand, beautiful water, wonderful staff!! Words can not describe the kind of hospitality you get when you stay at Azul. The food at Rojo is top notch! It can compete with the best! The atmosphere is sincerely paradise. I could not have asked for a better place to spend during my birthday weekend. I would would recommend spending the extra money for the helicopter transfer from the airport. It is well worth the money spent. This is not a place for those on a tight budget, but those that can afford it... this is it! luxury but laid back, comfortable, fun, excellent service, if you forget something, they will get it for you, they make you the priority, as it should be, but hardly ever is when you travel. the water and the sand are just like visiting the virgin islands, villas are clean, comfortable, beautiful, with fresh flowers, new release movies, flat screen tv, ipod hook ups, it has the works in a remote destination. i can not say enough. i will now be a regular, there is no reason for me to travel elsewhere looking for the perfect beach get away... this is it!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank mj79Tx
Reviewed 10 February 2008

If your planning on going to Belize, this is the gem of all resorts - nothing on the mainland or the island compares to the accommodations or the service.

We were more then surprised to find that the Rojo Lounge is one of the best breakfast, lunch and dinner spots in all of Belize - heck we are from LA and eat quite well at all the various sunset spots and our entire group of Movie Execs we're blown away at the quality and preparation of the food - do not pass up the Pineapple Juice, Grilled Lobster on any dish and humus was to die for.

The Villas are cleaned and fresh flowers brought in everyday. We received a personal cel-phone and mac laptop on our arrival. The resort has its own Helicopter pad which (while expensive) allowed us an extra half day at the resort instead of taking the 90min boat ride to Belize City.

The beach was cleaned every day, both docks are brand new (as is everything at the resort) and are amazing to sit out on. The Staff were very attentive, the kayaks were great to use as were the snorkel equipment supplied by the resort...

Really we had nothing bad or every average to say. If you want to have the time of your life, the best most relaxing vacation you've had in years... make your stay at Azul Belize - we are already planning out next trip back!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank manspider