“Paradise!”
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

X'tan Ha Resort
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This was our first trip to Ambergris Caye as well as Belize. We decided on X'tan ha Resort after a referral from friends, I am so glad we took their advice. X'tan Ha Resort is a beautiful resort with more than accommodating amenities, top notch food and drinks and best of all, was the friendly and hospitable staff. We felt right at home and enjoyed all the activities offered by the resort. The beach is unbeatable and you can't go wrong choosing X'Tan Ha. The staff will help you set up tours and water taxi's. Take advantage of the Lamani tour and snorkeling, totally worth it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mtgurl11

Reviewed 12 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here to attend a wedding near by. We loved it at X'tan Ha and wished we could have had more time. The rooms were spacious and clean, the pool was great and the beach was wonderful. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It was well worth the money! We had friends staying at another resort near by and they would come over to X'tan Ha because it was the better beach and bar. If we are lucky enough to return to Belize, we would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dru K
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Spent a week on the beach! Staff was magnificent, grounds impeccably maintained, diligent night security, and everyone always had a smile and a "hello." The restarunt had excellent food, and definitely worth the wait. Waterfront bar was always open serving tasty libations! Ocean was beautiful, water was perfect! Highly recommend this property if visiting the island of Ambergris Caye!!

Room Tip: Every room has a breeze and a view...you are steps away from sand in your toes!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brian G
Reviewed 27 March 2013

X'tan Ha gave us a wonderful vacation get-away. The resort is just beautiful. Colorful buildings, beautiful water, and soft white sand. Our whole family enjoyed the water activities: paddle boats, paddle boards, sail boat, kayaks, and water trampoline. We brought some food with us from town, but also ate at the restaurant a few times and everything we had was delicious. The staff was very helpful with anything we needed. The beach was great and we enjoyed finding shells along the edge of the water at low tide. We got just what we were looking for: family activity at times, with plenty of relaxation when we liked too. The family (kids 16, 14 and 7) voted X'tan Ha one of our favorites off all time!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Amy O
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is a beautiful resort with perhaps the best beach on the entire Caye! The staff are extremely friendly but even then Miram stood out. She found us a dive boat to the blue hole hours before we wanted to leave. She arranged for water taxi's and dinner reservations. She confirmed our departure and arranged for food to be in our refrigerator upon arrival. She is easily one of best hotel staff members I have encountered anywhere in the world. We were in paradise and she made it even better.

The room was HUGE and nicely decorated with hard woods. The property was renovated last year and they did it right! Restaurant onsite is nice. BIG bed, large couch, full kitchen, large porch with sitting chairs. 2 steps to pool and 10 to beach. Beachside bar is small but adequate.

Regularly scheduled water taxi can take you anywhere you want to go. For the adventurous you can even drive a golf cart from town to the property.

True this property may be a little further from town but it is worth it.

Room Tip: second floor rooms have more privacy
5  Thank ksiddel
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stayed from March 11-15, 2013

I booked this resort based on the reviews as well as the pictures. I’ve traveled many countries but this is the first time I’ve ever tried to extend my stay. Sadly, due to the high prices from the airlines I was not able to.

My first encounter: I know on my travel booking that it said to just contact the resort for the complimentary pick up from San Pedro airport and they’ll take your resort. Seeing as I waited last minute on how I was going to get from Belize City to San Pedro I could not contact them in time. Through e-mail during my lay over in El Salvador I decided to just fly from Belize City into San Pedro. So when I arrived in Belize City while waiting for my 20-minute flight I contacted the number on the site and they were quick to say OKAY we’ll have someone waiting for you! Excellent service!!!

Sure enough they had someone pick us up at the airport only to LITERALLY drive 2 blocks to the dock. He carried the luggage to the dock and said your ferryboat to the resort will be here in 5-7 minutes. All this is still complimentary.

The Resort
As soon as the ferryboat was approaching the deck of our resort I saw Miriam coming out to greet us at the end of the dock “welcome and your luggage will meet you at your room” As we approached the front desk there was another staff member that greeted us with complimentary mai-tai’s. Upon checking in your greet with your key and a flashlight…yes a flashlight. The resort has the best beach in Ambergris Caye. All other had way too much sea grass. Best part is that all the water activities is free. You can use their kayaks and paddle surfboard for free and rent their snorkel and fin gear for $5 us dollars. In fact, use their kayak and snorkel and go out to Mexican rock to snorkel only a 7 min paddle out.

The Room
We were escorted to 6A, which is the top room with a pool view, but just across the pool is still the beach. So we may have not had the beachfront room but we still got the beach view. Room is a great size, living room, AC unit, full kitchen w/ all utensils, full water dispenser. Bedroom in the next room had a king size bed with another AC unit that quickly cooled the room. You could fit another 2 people in the living room if you wanted. Bathroom had running hot water and the water did not smell like sulfur like I’ve read the other resorts do. Oh and free wi-fi.

The Restaurant
Please make sure that you ask for the schedule for the restaurant. This isn’t like other hotels that have a 24 hour café. When we checked in they told us that the restaurant opened at 7pm. Unfortunately when I woke up from a nap at 9:30 pm it was dark out, quickly realized why they gave a flashlight, but the restaurant was closed. Front desk was also closed, so we were stuck hungry w/ no food. First night there, I wasn’t going to get a ferryboat on the dark waters to into town for food. We settled for finishing our small bag of check mix from the plane ride. Lesson learned, we woke up and had an early lunch. Food is great in the restaurant any time of day. Carlos took care of us every time we ate in the restaurant. But just a tip: go into town and get groceries. You can make use of your full kitchen; we did at least for breakfast the rest of our stay.

The Bar
Next to our bedroom this was our second room!! We met so many great people here. The bartenders Hill and Elder took very good care of us and they had music playing while we were there. We even had the management Oliver and his wife join in on the drinks. It’s a great little hut literally on the beach waters. While your drinking you can just step into the clear blue waters.

All in all even if 2 days were overcast we had so much fun at the resort. It is secluded and 7 miles from San Pedro town. Doesn’t sound too far but on a ferryboat where they pick up other guests from other resorts it could a 30-45 min boat ride. But being secluded was what we were looking for to get our R&R. Gives you a chance to get to know the other guests. Out of the 28 rooms only 8 were occupied at the time. Shark ray alley I heard was not too far from the resort. Make sure to book that excursion with the front desk despite what others may offer you that are cheaper. From what I heard if you book it with anyone else there’s a price to pay if you want to cancel due to weather or choppy waters.

TIP: I was told by the management to contact the resort directly for the rates of the room as they are always offering a discount and should be cheaper than booking through a website (Expedia, Travelocity..etc.)

To get from Belize City to San Pedro you can take a ferryboat but we used Tropic Air and it was about $120 per person round trip.

Room Tip: If you don't want the beachfront choose 6A its the top floor right in front of the pool but you...
6  Thank ooLOVE2traveloo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

X' tan ha (The Waterfront in Mayan) is truly one of the best beach experiences I have had, and I have had a lot of them. From the moment my husband and I stepped off of a plane in San Pedro, we were greeted by staff who knew our name, driven to the pier, and immediately brought to the resort and greeted on the dock by the General Manager, Oliver. Our luggage quietly left for our room, and the bartender handed us a delicious rum punch as we walked by the beach bar that has steps that lead right into the blue green crystal clear sea. The unit was clean and comfortable with a luxurious king size bed and full kitchen where groceries can be delivered same day by Mandy of Mata Grande Grocery. We loved the Sunday Beach BBQ, daily drink specials and fresh ceviche. This resort has the cleanest and best beach that I saw on the island, and whether you are in the water or under a sun umbrella, the view is to die for. The staff is friendly and attentive, and goes out of their way to meet your every need. There is no tip grubbing on this island, which is nice. Resort staff, and boat captains work hard because they take pride in their jobs, and they make you feel like family as soon as you land. You will not be sorry you spent your valuable vacation time in this piece of paradise.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are a great value, as they are ten more steps from the beach, and have no wind if it...
5  Thank Michelle R