“Best beach on the island”
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

X'tan Ha Resort
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Seattle, Washington
“Best beach on the island”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Me and my girlfriend visited Belize for the first time and after reading the reviews here and doing some additional research we decided to pick this resort. Looking back, we both agree that it was a great choice. The beach and resort look exactly like the pictures. There was plenty of privacy and the owners were very good at giving us our space while being friendly and accomodating during our few interactions with them. Everything is new and in good condition and very clean.

I'll go over the cons first as they are fewer in number. The location of this resort is far from the town so you have to take the water taxi which costs about 12 bucks US each way. Also, while the managers are clearly competent and great hosts, they were very adamant to limit interactions with the staff and us. I understand their point of view, but in our case our interactions with the staff made our trip much more authentic, and I feel that perhaps some of the staff got in trouble for hanging out with us.

Now I'll go over some of the pros. The water is absolutely stunning on this beach, it's completely clean thanks to guys raking the beach every morning, The sand is wonderful, and the water is so shallow and warm it's a complete joy to swim in. You can also see stingrays and barracuda right off the dock. I also saw a school of needle fish right off the shore. The resort itself is in great shape and the rooms and cabins exceeded our expectations. It's nice to have a balcony to sit by and enjoy the ocean view. The staff are very hospitable and accommodating. Marlin one of the staff let me use his fishing equipment and showed me some good spots during his time off. I got sick during my trip and one of the female staff from the restaurant gave me a bunch of cold medicine that I believe saved our trip, Angelino even went to town and bought me some nighttime cold medicine as well. Jairo the gardener cut a bunch of coconuts for me and my girlfriend and put them by our room without us even asking him. You could tell the people that work at this resort love their jobs and they paid great attention to make our trip special. When I was sick, various hotel staff came by to see how I was doing and to offer any help that they could. When my girlfriend went to order a sprite for me while I was sick, Elder the bartender actually came up to my room to pour the drink for me and to ask if there was anything else I needed. These little things made me and my girlfriend feel very welcome and happy for choosing X'tan Ha Resort. Carlos and Oscar at the restaurant were very welcoming and professional and it was always a nice treat having Carlos deliver our meals to the beach or to our room. Last but not least Miriam was great at keeping in contact with us prior to our trip and booking our flights to and from the hotel. She was also great at answering our questions about the island and helping us out.

Overall it was a great trip and we're in the process of purchasing property on the island. We would definitely go again and we recommend this resort for couples.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smsingleton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Gainesville, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2013

From the moment we stepped of our water taxi at the resort's dock we were made to feel at home. Miriam greeted us with rum punch and was a gem making herself available during our entire stay to help us with any excursion we wanted. The beach at the X'Tan Ha Resort is the most pristine on the entire island. The reef is only a mile off the beach. The resort offers kayaks and snorkel gear making getting out to the reef easy. In addition to kayaks they have paddle boards, paddle boat, along with a giant water trampoline. The great Katanga Beach Bar sits right on the water where the bartenders remember your name and even better remember what you like to drink. The staff at the resort was more than helpful and the rooms were spacious and well maintained. The grounds are beautifully groomed. Oliver and Della DeHart, the resort managers, do their best to make you feel special as if you were the only guests at the resort. Whether you just like to sit and relax on the beach or take in the seabreeze from your balcony, this resort offers the best in relaxation. They have available to you bicycles free of charge and golf carts for a minimum rental fee along with complimentary water taxi to town on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can take a bike ride, take a golf cart ride, enjoy a stroll through San Pedro town or just a quiet walk along the beach. A little peace of Heaven is waiting for you.

3 Thank Stephanie K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I was very impressed by the x'tan ha hotel. We had tremendous service our entire time there and were known by name from all of the staff, they couldn't do more for us. The rooms are great with all of the amenities you need, including AC, tv, and even a mini kitchen. The resort had every kind of beach toy you would want including a trampoline, paddle boards, paddle boat, kayaks, and more! The beach is beautiful and constantly manicured to keep away sea grass and any other things that wash up. The resort is somewhat secluded but they provide boat service to San Pedro although we were perfectly happy staying put with the great bar on the water and fun bartenders. On Sundays they host a BBQ which becomes a little party for all of the guests. Great spot to relax with friends and enjoy the beach life in Belize!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lauren C
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed at X'Tan Ha for 3 nights in April 2013, and it was wonderful. The beach was beautiful and very well-kept by the hard-working and friendly staff. The rooms were huge and very comfortable. The bartenders, waiters and concierge staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The hotel booked a snorkel trip and massages for us very easily and reasonably priced. The food was also great. If you're looking for a friendly, relaxing place to stay in Ambergris, X'Tan Ha is wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lindsay C
Scheveningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My boyfriend and I were attending a reunion/wedding at the Portofino just down the beach from us. X'tan made their rooms look like a Super 8 motel & for less $! Wow...what a wonderfully pleasant surprise! Huge rooms (big soft beds), really nice bathrooms, full kitchens (stocked with a big water bottle), breathtaking views and location, clean facilities and incredibly warm & friendly staff. As mentioned by some other guests, our friends at other resorts came by ours to enjoy the facilities, as they were much nicer. Even though it was a hot spot for other guests to visit, it was still wonderfully quiet and had that secluded island feeling. Not many kids around, which I was happy about as it was a romantic getaway for us. Elder, at the bar, was outstanding and went out of his way to make for a good time. He even recruited some local friends to fire up the grill for us one night. They were out of charcoal since it was late, so they gathered palm branches and grilled up our chicken for us that we had. Seasoned and all, it was awesome. Miriam was delightful, so sweet and really helpful. We had a mixup with the Lamanai Ruins tour that we booked through the resort, but she went above and beyond to correct it. I have never experienced such fine customer service ANYWHERE I've stayed. Seriously, the friendliest staff ever. The restaurant had really good food too. Coconut creams & ceviches were awesome.

We booked a snorkeling trip through the resort but were also excited to discover Mexico Rock was close by the resort via kayak (available at resort w/ snorkeling gear) - it was just as nice as the paid tour and the gear was more comfortable. I had a massage on the beach from Sandra. I get massages regularly, so believe me when I say, this was one of the best massages I've ever had. Sure, location helps, but she was great and knew what she was doing!

We ordered groceries from Mata Grande Grocery. It was nice that it was delivered and waiting in our room when we arrived, but when we went into town the next day, we found things to be much cheaper. Water taxis are the way to get around, schedules at the front desk. $8 per trip or book for 5 days unlimited for much cheaper. Would have done that if I noticed it when we checked in.

The office has some things available for sale; sunblock, bug spray, snacks, toiletries etc.. I had a base tan already and still burned (and I never burn). You'll want at a min of spf 15-30, though I did 50+ on my face. Boys wear a shirt most the time, + you'll want to lather up good for snorkeling if you wanna be able to sit down the next day!

I travel a lot, and really have no desire to go to a place more than once since there's so much to see in this world, but I WOULD go back here. Was really romantic and a dream holiday, made complete by a wonderful resort experience!

Room Tip: We were in 5D, overlooking the pool but still had the beach in view. Was private and quiet. I think...
6 Thank Glamazon_Rocker
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This was our first trip to Ambergris Caye as well as Belize. We decided on X'tan ha Resort after a referral from friends, I am so glad we took their advice. X'tan Ha Resort is a beautiful resort with more than accommodating amenities, top notch food and drinks and best of all, was the friendly and hospitable staff. We felt right at home and enjoyed all the activities offered by the resort. The beach is unbeatable and you can't go wrong choosing X'Tan Ha. The staff will help you set up tours and water taxi's. Take advantage of the Lamani tour and snorkeling, totally worth it!

2 Thank mtgurl11
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here to attend a wedding near by. We loved it at X'tan Ha and wished we could have had more time. The rooms were spacious and clean, the pool was great and the beach was wonderful. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It was well worth the money! We had friends staying at another resort near by and they would come over to X'tan Ha because it was the better beach and bar. If we are lucky enough to return to Belize, we would love to stay here again.

4 Thank Dru K