“Paradise on earth”
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

X'tan Ha Resort
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 17 October 2013

X'tan Ha is an amazing resort! With a majestic view and the best beach on San Pedro Island, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Belize! The staff are kind, friendly, professional, and will make every effort to accommodate your wants and needs. Caretakers Della & Oliver are the best! The beach bar is a definite gathering spot for guests and the bartender, Elder, is always smiling, upbeat, and makes the best drinks. Guests from other resorts came to experience the ambiance and friendly atmosphere of the beach bar on a regular basis. The resort tries to make everyone feel at home, hosting bonfires and beach BBQ's, which all guests are welcome and encouraged to attend. They really do treat you like family! Resort staff will also help you to schedule tours through the No Worries Tour company located right at the resort. Snorkeling, diving, cave tours, zip lining, fishing, or whatever you might be interested in, they will make it happen! We did everything but the zip lining and loved every minute of each of the tours! No Worries even cooked up our day's catch and prepared a beach BBQ for our small group! During my 7-day stay I made many new friends from all across the states. We had so much fun together, we've kept in touch and hope to go back to X'tan Ha for another trip together! I highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the beach offer a short walk to the beach and the beach bar, but really the layout...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dana M
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

It was indeed a pleasure to host you guys and we do appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience. We are happy that you got a chance to feel that family unit that i am sure you read about. All of us here at X'tan Ha have a genuine interest in all our guests from arrival thru departure and it has been and always will be our aim to ensure that this is maintained.

We will be keeping an eye out for your reservations soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

loved the resort. Staff super friendly. Highly recommend this place, had a terrific view of the water and pool. The food was good at the restaurant, staff took pride in helping,beach was beautiful!!!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Few words with a big impact. Thanks for taking the time to write and we are grateful that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Weekend getaway and picnic, while we made most of our personal arrangements for our picnic of 40 add people, the resort was the perfect location for privacy. The staff was outstanding and helpful and made every effort to accommodate our needs, from reception, housekeeping, and maintenance personnel. As a individuals and as a groups we had the perfect experience and definitely I recommend X'tan Ha as the best resort in San Pedro. While most of our groups was composed of local San Pedro residents we were welcome as any foreign tourist would be , definitely we were welcome with opened arms and made to feel as one more group of travelers from abroad.

Room Tip: Oceanfront either ground level or second floor are wonderful, especially on the north side as it pro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wilbert A

We are glad that you had a firsthand opportunity to experience the welcoming feeling here at X’tan Ha. We pride ourselves of being in the hospitality industry thus ensuring that all guests (local/foreign) are treated the same. Thanks for taking the time to write your experience and we do look forward to seeing you guys soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I can't say enough about this place! It was paradise from the minute we arrived. Originally planning on only staying 3 nights we extended our stay to 7 nights. If you are looking for paradise, this is it! The staff was incredible! Very professional and inviting. And the location was out of this world! Unbelievable beach, clear blue water, tons of water activities (paddle boards, kayaks, bikes, etc), onsite dive shop, outstanding restaurant, and the most incredible tiki beach bar right on the water (one of the only beach bars at any resort directly on the water). This was more than a vacation, it was a fantasy come true. Thanks again to the wonderful people (turned friends) for the most amazing week!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mermaid06
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

It is always a rush for us here at X’tan Ha when we read comments or reviews like these. We are happy that you got to enjoy your stay and in turn create some fond memories for yourselves.

We are hoping that even if your next stay is not with us that you get to create even more fond memories and share them. Thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We loved this place. Of all the reviews I had read before booking, I knew that it would be the best selection. They met us at the airport, drove us to the water taxi & gave us a welcome drink--all free. Before getting on the taxi, the driver stopped at a grocery store so that we could buy beer for our fridge. Every room is a suite w/kitchen. They furnish coffee, sugar & cream. All employees were extremely nice. The kitchen manager gave us her Key Lime pie recipe (that was the best we had ever had in our lives!) & even gave us 2 cans of the special condensed milk required to make it! Our waiter, Alfred, was so sweet that we still miss him! We went in Sept, so there were very few other guests, so we felt like we had our own private resort! But with a small crowd, we had fun visiting w/them. The hotel is 7 miles from the main town of San Pedro, so you have to take a fast, bumpy motorboat taxi. We went to town twice & there's not much to see there, so it wasn't a problem being far from it. Hotel provides free taxi rides 2 days a week. One day, we took a taxi to town & then the ferry from there to Caye Caulker & had a nice time seeing everything there, but were glad we chose Ambergris Caye to stay on. I gave the surrounding area of the hotel a low rating, because a walk down the beach in either direction outside of our hotel grounds was nasty w/washed up trash--no fault of our hotel. Panama is in the same condition. We highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a pool view, but we still had the ocean view immediately beyond it and could hear the surf.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank voyzie

We thank you for taking the time out to provide us with your feedback and educating our future guests as what to expect. It was indeed our pleasure to serve you guys and we do look forward to seeing you on your next vacation.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to stay at X'tan Ha (pronounced - "ish-tan-ha) after extensively researching San Pedro Hotels. Initially, our main focus was the seclusion - I will get back to that later. We were sold on the peaceful, white sandy beach with swimmable, clear, aqua blue water.
And it provides all of that.

For eye candy purposes we liked the colorful Tiki Hut designed cabanas. Our room had a great view of the ocean, living room, kitchen and huge (king?) sized bed. Yes, there was hot water in the bathroom.

Arriving at the resort by complimentary water taxi (Captain Sydney was the BEST) we were greeted by two staff members. One friendly guy took our luggage directly to our room, while Jose gave us a verbal tour of the grounds and accommodations. Thankfully he checked us in rather quickly.

We changed into our bathing suits and we went swimming. X'tan-ha has one of the best swimmable beaches on the Caye. The water was refreshing and transparent. They have a trampoline with a water slide and volley ball net set up in the water for your pleasure. The bar is conveniently located on the beach and Chi was a really nice and informative dude. They also have other beach activities; kayaks, snorkeling gear, peddle boats and paddle boards. Of course they had beach chairs for lounging and a hammock. Sadly, we missed the bon-fire on the beach the first night!

The staff was cool and everyone was friendly. I like that they do not bring their problems to work and even dealing with me (a virgo) lol, they always gave their best side and it was sincere. They are very accommodating and get you anything you need.

One thing that did bother us was the fact that X'tan-ha is soooo secluded and they only have one restaurant and the food is below average. My opinion, obviously, this was the worst food we had in Belize. To be fair, we only ate local food thereafter, so the bar was set high. On top of that they do not stay open continuously throughout the day. The one and only restaurant closes at 5pm to set up for dinner (6pm-9pm). When you are this secluded you definitely need more than one option for food and there should never be down time to accommodate your guests dining needs.

Yes, they do have a store - off of the property - that you can order food for delivery. I recall hearing that there was at least a $20 delivery FEE?!?! I could be wrong on the amount but there is definitely a fee to deliver.

I have already reiterated how friendly the people are...well the mosquitos love you too, ha. My girlfriend had OFF and they were still ON her.

It wasn't that serious but...we initially booked an early morning excursion through the Activities center on the Hotel property. The only rain during our entire trip occurred late in the am of first night and continued until late morning. Luckily we decided to cancel. We were later offered the same excursion from a different company for half of the original price we were originally quoted. Belize's number one source of income is from the tourist industry. Do some research on excursion and companies as the price can fluctuate dramatically.

By afternoon the sun was shining and we decided to take a Kayak out to the famous Mexican Rocks. It's about a 15 minute paddle out. We had an underwater camera and captured yellow-tails, nurse sharks and groupers in pictures and videos. That was worth the stay in itself.

....getting back to that. I really enjoyed the seclusion at X'tan Ha had to offer. Although we initially came for that private getaway, we changed our minds and decided to explore Belize more in depth. You are committed to take the 8:30pm water shuttle from town to X'tan Ha. We knew this schedule would not be ideal for our plan.

We expressed interest to the hotel and Ludrick from X'tan Ha informed us we can stay at one of their two sister resorts that was closer to town (3 miles away). We decided to take them up on the offer and they scheduled a complimentary water shuttle to take us to The Belizean Shores (review pending). No extra charge for the Hotel change at all. Thanks Guys!!!

If you are looking for seclusion and like to get to bed early, this place is perfect. The best beach, peace and quiet and a friendly staff in a tropical environment.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Damon D
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

We appreciate you taking the time out and providing us with a detailed account of your stay with us. Please note that all documented comments are deemed important and as such are addressed with the utmost urgency.
In light of this our restaurant is in the process of both updating and expanding their menu so as to ensure all our customers are satisfied. Furthermore since you are now well versed with our layout and logistics we do hope that on your next visit you may seriously take us into consideration.
Thank you once again for your time.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked X’Tan Ha from September 21 to 28 for our 10 year wedding anniversary after comparing reviews on Trip Advisor so I thought I knew what to expect but it was even better than anticipated. Since I appreciate detailed reviews I will try and give as much detail about the resort as possible.

Front desk

Once I had booked our trip I contacted the resort directly to arrange for our transfers to and from town and to get more information about the resort. Miriam contacted me promptly and arranged our flights on Tropic Air and gave me suggestions for groceries, tours etc. I started to panic a little bit when I kept calling restaurants in San Pedro and they were closed due to it being low season but Miriam quickly assured me that everything would be open at the resort.

Everyone at the front desk was excellent to deal with. Be sure to buy your Coastal Express passes through them as it is cheaper than buying in town. The front desk can also arrange for your spa services and they also have a few toiletries (sunscreen, bug spray, etc) for purchase.

Rooms

We had a lower level oceanfront suite and it was worth it. We were steps from the beach, bar and front office and had excellent wifi reception. I felt the room was very spacious with lots of storage. The staff had decorated everything with flowers (even the toilet seat). The air conditioning worked well especially with all of the ceiling fans turned on.

I really enjoyed having the kitchenette. It was well equipped for the meals we prepared (one dinner, a few lunches and most breakfasts). They provide paper towels, dish detergent, coffee filters, sugar and creamer packets, coffee and a five gallon jug of drinking water.

The bed was great. Huge and comfy but I didn’t love the plastic feeling mattress cover but it is probably a necessity in the heat and humidity. There is a large wardrobe, dresser and two end tables so more than enough storage. There is a decent tv in the bedroom with quite a few channels and you can also get movies from the front office to play in the dvd player.

The bathroom was clean and spacious. There was some issue with the toilet not flushing but it was fixed promptly. There are a few toiletries provided (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower gel and soap)

Restaurant

We visited the restaurant for quite a few lunches and dinners and they were delicious. I didn’t find the prices out of line for the island. The lobster roll and burgers are a must try. The menu is small but I expected that for the size of the resort and they always have some kind of fish/seafood special. The service was always friendly.

Pool/Beach

I used the pool a few times and it was a decent size with a few lounge chairs and umbrellas around it. The beach was fantastic and was cleaned regularly. It had lounge chairs, sea kayaks, paddle boats, a picnic table with an umbrella right in the water and a water trampoline. I found it very easy to do nothing or keep yourself occupied.

No Worries Tours

Apparently the tour shop recently opened and it was very convenient to be able to take tours without going into town.

My husband did a Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley/reef fishing/beach bbq with No Worries. He had a great time with Mario and Kevin and raved about the fish tacos on the beach.

We both took the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley snorkeling trip. Mario and Kevin were very entertaining. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we would definitely take that tour again.

Spa Services

The spa services were very easy to set up through the front desk. I had a Belizean massage on the porch so I could hear the waves. The Belizean was just the right amount of pressure and I loved the scent of the eucalyptus oil. I also had a banana hair mask which really helped with my tangled, windblown, sun damaged hair and the smell was incredible.

Overall

We lucked out with the weather. Hot, sunny and breezy every day. This kept the mosquitos down immensely. We were only bothered by them one evening at dusk and on the mainland in the jungle. I did get bitten by a few sand flies on the beach one day but bug spray with deet took care of that.

This was an amazing trip from beginning to end which was mainly due to our experience at X’Tan Ha. It is a secluded resort but I found that is what made it so romantic. I never felt stranded as we planned ahead for a couple of days off the resort and had lots to do while we were there. I also found ordering groceries and liquor for our room made us feel like we weren’t forced into using the restaurant or bar all of the time. We are already talking about when we can return.

Thank you Oliver, Miriam, Hill, Mario, Kevin and all of the other staff (I’m sorry if I can’t recall all of the names) for making our 10th anniversary trip even better than our honeymoon!

Kim and Doug Kirkwood

Room Tip: Loved the oceanfront suite and the rooms in building 1 get great wifi reception and you are steps fr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CalgaryPennypen
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

It was indeed a pleasure to host you guys for your 10th wedding anniversary. We are enthused by your detailed review and management and staff alike looks forward to your next visit.

Thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts and comments.