“We will be back! Loved it!”
Review of SunBreeze Suites

SunBreeze Suites
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“We will be back! Loved it!”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We've just returned from a 2 month stay at the Sunbreeze Suites. We loved it and are making plans to stay again next year. The staff is so nice and helpful. They took great care of us.

I would like to address some negative comments we read on tripadvisor before we stayed there.

The beds had some bad reviews but they have recently been replaced. The beds got replaced during our stay. They now have pillow top Beauty Rest. They are very comfortable! I don't know if every room has a new mattress so you might ask when booking.

Sun on the pool: This was another negative comment we read. I'd like to say it depends on what time of the year it is. The comment about no sun ever on the pool is a complete exaggeration. We arrived in early January there was sun on the pool area until 11:00ish. By the first of March there was sun on the pool area until 2:00 or later. They also have deck chairs on the beach where you can get as much sun all day long that you could possible want. My husband has had some skin cancer issues so we appreciated there always being a shady spot to sit.

The kitchen is great! It's pretty well furnished with pots, pans, skillets, bowls, knives, a cutting board, and a place setting for 4. They also have microwave, blender, coffee pot, and toaster. They supply coffee and filters, creamer, and sugar.

Every window in the suite has a black out curtain, makes it great for sleeping in. Then during the day you can open them up and there are sheers for privacy but will still let in plenty of light.

The bathroom is good too. No tub but great water pressure in the shower and plenty of hot water.

We liked being on the ground floor. We were in room 102. It's kind of tucked in a little bit when it got too windy we were protected and when it got a little stuffy it was easy to move our chairs out next to the pool in the breeze. I would recommend Sunbreeze Suites and will be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dawn G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
South Lake Tahoe, California, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My wife and I are recently certified SCUBA divers and our trip ti Belize was our first SCUBA adventure. We booked 5 nights at Sunbreeze suites with a diving and main land adventure package. We did 3 two tank dive days throug Hugh Parkys in San Pedro and they were amazing, very knowledgeable about the dives. We did a mainland tour at Altun Ha ancient Mayan ruins, ziplining, and cave tubing. We missed diving our first dasy due to weather but the dive shop was more than willing to make up our dives.
Sunbreeze suites was in a great location short walking distance from downtown San Pedro so you have easy access to the local shops and restaraunts. Some resorts are a long way from San Pedro on Ambergris Caye so if you staty at a resort outside of San Pedro you have to take a taxi or rent a golf cart or bike to get into town to enjoy the local scene. The restaraunt at the hotel has great food and is located right on the beach with a great ocean view. All the staff was very friendly and accomadating.

Room Tip: One reccomendation about the hotel is the room selection. If you can get a room number that ends in...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Manville
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We just returned from what started out as a rough trip, we were delayed a day due to New Jersey winter weather but once on the island we couldn't have been more pleased. Our transfer was waiting for us at the airport, brought us straight to the hotel where the front desk attendant (I think Amelia was her name) was extremely helpful and pleasant. Any questions we had she and the other staff members were more than happy to help us out with.
Our room was great, #302, just the right size for my husband and I. The location was perfect, within walking distance of everything! They have a restaurant on site with great food and service and their own dock where we were picked up daily for our dives.
The room had air conditioning but the 2 vents shot cold air directly on the couch and bed which got to be a bit much after a few minutes.
Being that we are divers it was very convenient that they had a rinse bucket on site and the large balcony off of our room was mostly in the sun which made for a great place to lay out our gear to dry after a day of diving.
We used their laundry service for our "winter" clothes to wear back home, they were supposed to be back by 5:00pm the same day but didn't get back till 8:00am the following morning so don't wait till the last minute if you are going to do the same. The clothes were still a little damp when they were returned to us but not to the point that they were unwearable.
Maid service came daily and did a great job. Towels were replaced daily without us asking, a lot of resorts/hotels on the islands do every other day to conserve water.
Don't go while Carnival is going on if you like quiet evenings and limited children. The children run wild in the streets painting each other and mostly everyone in their path and the whole town is very active and loud.
All in all we enjoyed our stay here and would return again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicole0174
Lowell, Indiana
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed at SunBreeze Suites in Jan. 2013. It was a great place to stay and staff went above and beyond. They made all our tour reservations for us and all we had to do was show up at the end of the dock for pick up. This suite is in the middle of everything and you can walk anywhere. When we go back we will stay there again.
Thank You SunBreeze Suites for such a great experience!

Room Tip: They are all ocean view so any room is a good room.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We just finished a nine night stay at Sun Breeze Suites. We had a short wait at the airport before being picked up. Check-in was easy our friends traveling with us had to wait for their room to be ready but this was no problem and it took less than 20 minutes. Our room number was 203 our friends were in 204. 204 is slightly bigger than 203 and does not have as much street noise but some noise from the neighbors. I had to say I was disappointed, at first, that we had 203 due to previous reviews. The room turned out to be very comfortable it had a small ocean view and over looked a courtyard with a pool. The front door does face the street and there is a lot of road/street noise. The bed was king and we felt it was comfortable enough. They may have changed the bed or it could be different strokes for different folks, it is pretty firm. The location is great it is within walking distance to just about everything you need. Dive shops just outside the hotel, bar next door, restaurant on-site. The restaurant is Jamaican Jerk and is very good being warned it is jerk which equal spicy. Rooms are not fancy and I felt they were a little over priced for what we got. The pool is small and so is the beach. The beach has a few lounge chairs and the pool doesn’t get much sun (never saw anyone in the pool). If we go back I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a golf cart to go explore one or two days, warning if it is rainy roads north are bad. Take a da...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Alabama
Reviewed 14 January 2013

This hotel was one of the cheaper hotels we could find (and that was our goal because we went to Belize to go scuba diving and not to stay in a fancy resort or hotel). We elected to stay in the city so we could walk to shops and restaurants and avoid having to take water taxis to and from town.

Location – good location near town and walking distance to shops and restaurants. Just a quick golf cart ride from the airport. At night the area seems a little “skechy” if you can imagine a carribean version of a city.

Safety - As we were checking in, a couple was at the front desk who had a bag stolen from their room, and they were desperately attempting to replace medications. As they walked out, the couple (who was not very happy to say the least) said to us “watch out we had items stolen from our locked room). After that, we were paranoid about our dive gear in the room and items like our underwater camera. We were careful about not leaving expensive items in plain sight and always kept our room locked. We also took advantage of the locking bag we could keep in the hotel safe (extra cash, passports…). We did not have anything taken during our stay. We’ve stayed at other places in the Caribbean that have safes in the room. This would have been a preferred option.

Room - Our room was large with a balcony, separate living area with kitchen with dinette space, and a decent size bedroom with a good size closet. Our room# was 203, so it was at the back of the hotel second floor (not on the water but the door faced the street - not the best from a security standpoint) and our balcony overlooked the courtyard and had a narrow view to the ocean.

Pool – small and does not get much sun during the day. No big deal for us since we were diving all day.

Staff - The staff was accommodating and helpful. I requested a new blanket and this was taken care of quickly. The room was clean but by no means luxurious. (Again –this was one of the cheaper places we could find, so we weren’t expecting luxury). Typically, as long as places are clean we don’t expect much more if we are looking for an inexpensive place to stay.
Bed - We chose this property because they had king size beds available. (My husband is 6’4” so it’s just something we try to get whenever we travel). I’m sorry to say the worst part of this hotel was the bed. My husband and I both agree that it is by far the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept on (please note - we have traveled quite a bit and aren’t particularly picky). I have never before dreaded going to sleep because a bed was so hard and uncomfortable. I believe it is typical to travel and have to adjust to beds that are not quite as comfortable as your own but this one was ridiculous. I would wake in the middle of the night and be convinced I had been sleeping on plywood, and would push my fist into the mattress to confirm it was actually a mattress and had some give to it. It was not actually a king mattress, but two twins pushed together so there was the issue with the seam between the two in the middle of the bed. If you were unlucky enough to roll onto this spot at night you would wake up feeling like you had a 2x4 shoved into your back. (Yes, it was that bad, I’m not one to exaggerate.) We definitely did not sleep-in in the mornings, because as soon as we woke up you desperately wanted to get out of that bed. I polled people on the dive boat and some complained their beds weren’t that comfortable, but clearly the people who stayed at more expensive places had more comfortable beds, and no one said their bed was absolutely horrible. I have seen comments in other reviews that “all the beds in Belize are rock hard and uncomfortable”, but it sounds like paying for a nicer place will avoid that problem. (Or perhaps avoiding room #203 at Sunbreeze Suites).

I’m not one of those reviewers who focuses on one bad thing and vows to never to return to a hotel never ever again, but honestly – I couldn’t stay in this hotel again because of the bed and cannot recommend it to anyone based on that particular problem. I think at the very least, any hotel should be clean and have reasonably comfortable beds , and this hotel does not meet that minimal requirement. Sorry – but a decent night’s sleep is a priority on a vacation and we didn’t get a single one on this trip. Also, I was concerned about safety of the area and we were concerned about items being stolen from our room. If you walk along the beach in the evenings you will notice the nicer places have additional security posted.

If we go back to Belize I’m not sure I would stay in town again. Staying in a more expensive and nicer all-inclusive type place away from the city and just staying put at that location would probably be my next choice. If you want to be in the city, I would consider splurging on a place like the Phoenix. We considered this place at first but went with the budget friendly option.
We dove with Hughe Parkey and they picked us up on the end of our dock and brought us back after our dives.

Good restaurants recommended by a local that we really enjoyed were - Celine’s, Blue Water, and Wild Mango.

A final note – I got food poisoning on this trip and cannot pinpoint exactly what did it. I drank bottled water and even used bottled water to brush my teeth. As my brother reminded me when I got back - you have to be careful of ice in drinks and things like salads rinsed in water. One possible culprit could be the mojito I had at the hotel bar the night I got sick. Just be careful – being sick on vacation is no fun.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #203. Door faces street. View of courtyard and only a narrow view of ocean. Extremely...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank srsnyder
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Hello All,
If you are looking for a good place to stay, with a kitchen and a view on the carabean see at a reasonable price, choose Sunbreeze Suites. They are right in the center, the staff is friendly and helfull. Their restaurant offer excellent food. And...If you choose the water taxi to get to San Pedro from Belize City, choose the Caye Caulker water taxi, which leave from the Marine terminal in Belize City and brings you right in front of the hotel!
We had a beautifull time there.

Room Tip: Suite 202 or 201 are perfect. You have the sun all day on the balcony and a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple