“Not the Best Place to Stay at in Caye Caulker”

and 1 more site!
Anchorage Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Massillon, Ohio
“Not the Best Place to Stay at in Caye Caulker”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

For our honeymoon, we chose a jungle/island combo in Belize. Due to heavy rains inland, we left for Caye Caulker a day earlier than what we originally planned.

We had already booked Barefoot Beach for our original intended stay, but they were booked the day we arrived early. We walked down the beach a little further and came upon Anchorage Resort. We attempted to negotiate with the front desk person to see if we could receive a discount to stay. There was NO ONE else staying there & I thought if they really needed the business, they might oblige. Unfortunately, that was not the case, she was unwilling to budge and we were so anxious just to get settled somewhere, we took it anyway. I requested a room on the top floor, closest to the ocean.

The first four things we noticed upon entering our room: 1. The views the balcony's was amazing. 2. What is that stench in the room??? 3. Outdated amenities 4. Spacious

The good: The views were fantastic (as you can see from my pics). Sitting on the balcony's was very pleasant. The room had more than enough room to sprawl out.

The bad: The room smelled so bad, it was difficult to tolerate. We plugged in the mini fridge to keep our water cool, opened it up, smelled & viewed it, immediately unplugged it & decided "who needs cool water?" It looked as though everything in the bathroom was very old and in need of a good cleaning. My husband and I wouldn't even take a shower there - it was too gross.

Aside from our balcony view, Anchorage Resort was very lackluster.

• Liked — Balcony views
  • Disliked — Everything else - the horrible smell in the room, how unclean it was, the nasty fridge.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mypizan

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

We spent 3 nights at the Anchorage. We reserved online because it was during the week of December 23 and we wanted to make sure we would have a room. We reserved this hotel because nothing else was available online and we were assuming it would be great since it was described as a resort and also because the reviews on Tripadvisor were positives (we realized after that only 2 reviews had been posted). I will start with the pros: quiet location (because there was only 2 other rooms occupied) and a sea view for each rooms. When we arrived nobody was there except a strange guy who was living in one of the room and he told us the 'secretary' was out to lunch. He told us all the rooms were available except one. He gave us the key for the room 313. We went in the room and it was dirty (the bath and the toilet). Also, the bedspreads were ugly and thin but the main point was that it was dirty. We asked to go to another room. He gave us the key for the 314 and this one was very very very dirty (the toilet was looking as the one in the movie Trainspotting: fekal stuff floating and I don't exagerate). We were tremendously disappointed but since we had already paid online we decided to view another room. We went to the 213 and it was ok (as ugly as the others but it was cleaner). Here I have to mention that we paid 75$ US + tax but one couple arrived a few hours after us without a reservation and they paid 60$ US. Among the other cons: no hot water, no daily cleaning service (no maid), there were no towels in rooms 313 and 314, limited toilet paper, big ants in the bathroom on the first evening. I can't select 2 stars to rate this hotel because it says 'Okay, but some problems'. I would have choosen this if the toilet in the rooms 314 and 313 would have been clean. I strongly suggest you reserve somewhere else or to arrive without a reservation and make your choice once on Caye Caulker. We are backpackers and we should have arrived without a reservation as we usually do. We saw several backpackers arriving without a reservation and they found a room. Here are the hotels we would consider if we would return to Caye Caulker: Barefoot Beach, Seaside Cabanas, Caye Caulker Condos, Auxillou Beach Suites, Rainbow hotel, Tropical Paradise Hotel. Those suggestions are based on what we saw and the comments we had from the guests of these hotels.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — It was dirty.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MelodyMontreal
Valdez, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed in a room on the ground floor and it felt like we were completely separate from the other rooms. We rented a golf cart one day and were able to drive right up to the door of our room! If you are looking for a get-away location then this is the spot! The hotel is situated so that you aren't right at the forefront of all the tourist traffic. It feels like you are on your own private beach with your own hammocks and outdoor liesure area. It's just a very nice set up.

The rooms were very neat and clean and the staff was accomodating.

If you are looking for a place that is right in the middle of all the touristy stuff on Caye Caulker then I wouldn't pick the Anchorage. But it is a very pleasant and short walk to almost anywhere on the island anyway!

• Liked — I liked the arrangements of the rooms and the private atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Leaving at the end of my stay!
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank cinderblock_8
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2008

I stayed here 2 nights in Feb 2007 and stayed on the 3rd (top) floor. I asked for a discount and got it down to $66 per night.

Pro: My room was huge and had a great view from both sides. It had a fridge, microwave and A/C. But if you stay on the top floor there are nice breezes and I did not use the A/C. I liked the big bathroom with the big tub. There is free coffee in the am and several hammocks to watch the sunrise.

Cons: It was a long walk to 'downtown' and very dark at night walking back. I was by myself and it was safe except for stepping on something. I would recommend this for honeymooners that want to be off by themselves.

• Liked — large clean room with sea views
  • Disliked — too far from the action
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
#20 of 54 in San Pedro
Rainbow Hotel
Rainbow Hotel
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to Anchorage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!