“Great Place to stay on Caye Caulker”

Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We stayed here two nights and it was definitely a great place to stay on Caye Caulker. The island is so small that every hotel is close, but the plaza hotel is right in the middle. It is two short blocks from the water taxi and right off the main street corner. The hotel is new and the rooms were very American and modern. This was the most Americanized hotel we stayed at. There was a safe in the room and a complimentary breakfast across the street. There was cable TV and air conditioning. They had a rooftop with a nice view and the staff was friendly. NOTE: there is only 1 ATM on the island and it was broken when we were there. We got by on the little money we had and ended up using our credit cards whenever possible, although the credit card machines were not always working - just an FYI. The front desk was staffed 24 hours so we felt really safe. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 January 2010

We stayed at the Plaza Hotel for two nights and had a very nice stay. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was the most updated we had encountered in our travels in Belize. The hotel was just a hop, skip and a jump away from the water taxi station. Also all the restaurants and bars were super close (although nothing is especially far on tiny Caye Caulker). Note to beach hunting travelers - the Plaza Hotel is not located right on the beach/water if that is what you are looking for in your accommodations. Note to all travelers - make sure you have enough cash when you get to Caye Caulker, the 1 ATM on the island was broken when we went and we went three days surviving on our credit cards which is doable, but not that fun especially when you can't get a drink at I&I Reggae Bar (which I highly recommend!)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2009

This hotel provides you with everything you could ever need .... computers with internet, amazing beds and rooms, coffee in the morning and amazing advice from the staff. It is located very close to the ferry dock, and is central to everything on the island. If i could move in for good i would (and so would all my kids).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2009

This hotel exceeded my expectations! Very close to the beach, very clean rooms. Everything I needed was walking distance. Receptionists were warm and hospitable. I was always greeted with a smile, and was given tips on the best places to go! I loved that they were able to directly direct me to the tours that the island had to offer. I am already looking forward to visiting this beautiful island again, and I will definately be staying at the Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We stayed two nights. This hotel is really clean and new. The bathrooms are small, but for the price it was great. It's easy to find, on the same street running to the west from the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. Super!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I visit Caye Caulker Often:
Pros:
Great location, easy to walk to/from everything
Responsive Staff
Gorgeous Sunset view from the roof veranda
A/C
Clear T.V reception (this is hard to find in Caye Caulker)
Mini Fridge

Cons:
While the beds were quite comfortable and linens seemed of good quality, the pillows were quite hard and uncomfortable
The water had the very strong iron sulfur odor that well water can get. I have lived places with wells before, but this was very strong and unpleasant. That being said, the staff was responsive to this, did what they could, and eased the problem to the point that it was bearable, and I stayed another night!

I would say for the rate which this time of year is around 50 USD is worth it!. While they do serve coffee every AM on the roof, I am not sure about the breakfast a previous reviewer mentioned? Maybe they were on a special package?

OH, Wednesday, Fridays, and Sunday nights, the MOST fun place to go is the Sports Bar (just a short walk away) for Trivia night. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Went for a one-week holiday to Caye Caulker and stayed at the Plaza Hotel. Great location, very friendly service, excellent and clean rooms and salellite TV!! My wife and I had a great time and spent the evenings on the rooftop watching the sunset. Breakfast is included and comes from a diner across the street - fresh juices, omelots, bread and beans, If you ask for something specific, they usually accommodate. Prices were great, we got a night for free for staying 7 nights. If you call in advance, and talk to the manager, they are open to negotiating. Plus free wifi internet!

Location is perfect - every restaurant you would want to eat at is within a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple