“Won't be back”
Review of China Town Hotel

China Town Hotel
Ranked #30 of 33 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The first room we looked at smelled horrible so we asked to look at an upgraded room. The size was nice and it was fairly clean so we decided to stay. The staff was not very friendly and the room had issues. The hot water didn't work, the ac unit barely got the room cold enough to sleep. Speaking of the ac unit, it leaked so much water right out the door they had to put a 5 gallon bucket under the outside unit. Over night it would over flow and water was all over the tile. It was a wonder no one slipped and fell. It was a big hazard.
Little did I know was the unit leaked on the inside because my luggage was under it. It wasn't until I grabbed something out of my bag did I realize it was full of water. As for the restaurant, you'll have to wait a very long time for your food and it was poor quality.
At night the staff fought and talked very loud.
The pros were the pool, the size of our room and view from the roof top.
I'm normally not a complainer but I've stayed on Caye Caulker to many times in the past to know there are plenty of other places at the same price for much better.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MeanTroyDean

Reviewed 13 March 2011

My husband and I were craving chinese food, so we went to the restaurant in the China Town Hotel. We were a bit intimidated when we walked in. The place was full of locals hanging out drinking. And not in a good way like the rest of the island. In a "we're drunk and high and looking for an excuse to get in a brawl" kind of way. Lots of shouting and yelling and showing off. We asked the waitress to make our order to go thinking we'd get out of there faster. We waited 30 minutes for our food. And when we got it back to our hotel room, it all tasted burned.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2011

PRO: The courtyard and pool area were nice.
CON. The rooms left much to be desired. They didn't seem to be too clean. They were small. The electric lighting was very dim.
We didn't use the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We were looking to downgrade to a simpler place so we could save money to do more things, so we went on the hunt for a room with private bath and a/c, and we scored a great deal with Chinatown Hotel. Was it the best hotel I've ever stayed at or the cleanest? Absolutely not, but it did have a small fridge, TV w/ cable and the bed was comfortable. The pool outside was a really awesome perk that I have to say i LOVED and took full advantage of. We met some really great people while we were there too. If you are looking for a place to basically sleep in, stay here. I wish the bathrooms were a little nicer and worked more efficiently, but honestly, this place fit the bill for the rest of our stay on the island. One word of advice that I heard while staying here (don't eat at the restaurant in the lobby!!)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2011

This was an odd place, Caye Caulkner is such a wonderful island with a great vibe about it, yet this hotel lacked any kind of atmosphere. The staff were usually unfriendly as opposed to unhelpful but showed no interest/welcome whatsoever to their guests. The hotel building could have been anywhere and was devoid of any Belizean character whatsoever. The ensuite room had a satellite tv and a fridge which was handy, but it also had an unhealthy amount of air freshners all over the place, weird. Anything left on the bed was simply dumped on the floor when the room was being made up. Breakfast was quite possibly the worst I have ever seen - cold fried sandwiches, soft (out of date) cornflakes, and some watermelon. Cafe Amor on the main strip which is open until 12 is a much better option, yum. I wouldn't by choice stay here again, fortunately there is so much to do on the island we spent very little time there.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We had a group of about 35 stay there recently. Fortunately for all of us, we were on there one night but it was a rough night. The weather was hot and for some unknown reason, all the rooms smelled like outhouses. The rooms were reasonably clean and neat but they stunk to high-heaven. Also, the little air-conditioners couldn't really compensate for the heat and several of them blew circuits when left on. I had to reset the circuit breaker myself. The mattresses were literally like covered boxes with a very minimal amount of padding, less than 1 inch in my estimation. The staff were friendly and there is a restaurant and general store attached to the hotel. It's a little bit off the beaten track Caye Caulker but we could have lived with that if the rooms had been better. They have a small pool and some hammocks which are nice but I would recommend finding a better hotel on the island unless cost is your primary concern and you don't mind the poor room accommodations and the smell. As for me, I won't be going back to that hotel when I return to the island later this year.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 12 August 2010

The hotel is actually not horrible. The rooms are tiny, but clean, had AC, TV and even a fridge. There is a pool, but I suspect it is used mainly to grow mosquitoes. The location is bad by Caye Caulker standards, where most of the hotels are beach front. (And we did miss the breeze...)

What we didn't like was the crappy service. There was a list at the front desk with the 'charges' for stealing things from the room. When checking out someone went to our room to check for missing items. Not very charming.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple