“Horrible”

China Town Hotel
Ranked #29 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed at china town hotel for 3 nights and Believe me that was 3 days too long. The staff have no customer service and on arrival took our money up front and then had to be reminded to give us a room key as she started talking to her colleague, forgetting all about us. Once up to the room it was no better. The remote for the tv did not work and all the sheets and towels were stained. The top sheet was on the corner of the bed in a heap and not made. The whole stay was horrible. The kettle took ages to heat up, along with the shower. There are plenty of nicer places to stay on the island. I would not advise anyone to stay here, the price definitely does not compensate for the service and horrors of the room.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

It's not fabulous. But it's fine if your looking for basic accommodation with comforts like air conditioning and tv. It was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

The basic problem here is a lack of care & attention - with a bit of love & an attempt to provide some service with a smile it could be a winner.
Here with a group using 6 rooms - everyone has complained about something. Our room was crazy small so upgraded for $20 US a night to very large room with 2 double beds.
I dont know how it compares in price to other places - many of which look very basic - but the air con is included ( but check that out first) it has wifi (erratically) - it is meant to have hot water, it has a kettles- allow 10 mins to boil.
Our beds are really firm - Thai style - we love them but many won't . One couple had to move cos beds had no springs & were crazy soft.
The restaurant looks like a place to avoid at all costs. One small example of the l
ack of interest was that when we arrived & wanted cold Red Stripes we settled for Light as woman said it was all they had. It was only later that I realised they own the supermarket next door - which has a connecting door - so our beer of choice was but a few paces away. It's not a big deal but it highlights a lack of care.
Sheets were nice & some of the towels too :)

Room Tip: Don't have a "common room"
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

The experience I had my first night was that the hotel maid stole my camera. When I brought it up to the woman at the front counter, she denied that this was even possible. I let this go thinking that this may have been an anomaly. Finally, when I checked out I needed to get help verifying my flight times and information. The woman at the counter tried telling me that they didn't make outgoing calls. Once I told her I've seen them make calls she then told me that since I checked out she wouldn't help me. Just another note, they had their Chinese flag flying at full mast above the Belize flag on the adjacent flagpole. To me this was a perfect example of how disrespectful and arrogant the people at this hotel were.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Caye Caulker hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We ended up getting taken to China Town hotel by a guy on the street who promised to get us a 'good deal' (silly, I know, but it was raining and we were so tired!)- it turned out to be pretty good value, and we had a room with aircon, a kettle, a TV, a clean ensuite, and the hotel had a nice pool and outdoors area. So it wasn't bad at all- but there are so many cute little places to stay in Caye Caulker- little beach huts and colourful buildings- that this really isnt the most exciting place you could stay. In our case, we met some really good friends by the pool and ended up spending lots of time drinking around the pool with them. But without that, I probably would have regretted staying there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank louisewitham
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

All I want in a hotel is comfortable and safe place to sleep that I can lock up my junk. This place worked. It wasn't fancy but it was clean and the A/C in the room kept it dry and comfortable. I paid $39/night. The courtyard/pool area looked like at good place to hang out if you wanted.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
San Salvador, El Salvador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

Although the air conditioned room provides a break from May's punishing sun, China Town Hotel provides little other bang for your buck. Internet, food, rooms and laundry are all expensive and none are anything to write home about.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends