“Carlos is an excellent guide.”

Hicaco Tours Snorkel & Dive
Toronto
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Carlos is an excellent guide.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my first snorkeling experience so I was a bit nervous. Carlos, our guide and the company owner, was so patient and helpful in getting me accustomed to the experience. He got right in the water with us and showed us everything worth seeing -- coral, sharks, manatees, sting rays, turtles, fish, and much more. We were also provided with a substantial traditional Belizian lunch and lots of water. We did the full-day tour for about $45 USD and I have to say it was a bargain for the amount of marine life we saw, the length of the tour, the variety of spots we visited (three), and the included food/beverages plus Carlos' expert guidance. If you want to snorkel in Caye Caulker, you have to go with Carlos! Just make sure to wear shorts and a T shirt when you're in the water -- I got crazy burnt. No amount of sunscreen can defeat the Belizian sun!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Bronwyn17

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“An "odd" tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

New Year's Day my husband and I went on a snorkeling trip with hicaco. Having done the Hol Chan trip last year we decided to do the Gardens Snorkeling trip which is 60 Belize $$ cheaper and also a couple hours shorter.
The company on the boat was peculiar. Besides the boat driver and the tour guide
and five other tourists there was a random couple with a five-month-old baby and also presumably the girlfriend of the tour guide who was dressed for a night out. The three "guests" of the boat driver and guide just hung out the boat. Our tour guide was more interested in courting his female companion then interacting with the tourists on the boat.
In fact, on our last dive he did not even go into the water even though one of the tourists asked him to.
Having been on numerous snorkeling trips I have never been on one like this before.

With that said, it was very sweet of the boat operator and tour guide to bring with them a bunch of fresh fruit which they served to us on the boat. After having a mouth filled with a rubber snorkel and salt water, fresh fruit tastes amazing!!

I don't want to end by saying "I'll never use this company again" but I will say it was odd My suggestion to the owner is to not allow friends or significant others on the trip unless they are also going to participate in the swimming and the camaraderie of exploring the great Belizean barrier reef.

5 Thank Viktoriatedrow
Maidstone, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Snorkelling the reef in crystal clear water and swimming with sharks/rays was fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We opted for the full day (10:30 - 15:00) trip for $90bz (all tours charge pretty much the same... $45bz for the half day). The tour was sold to us as it went further out to the protected Hol Chan Marine Reserve where bigger fish and bigger reef exists. The water was very. Clear and our guide, Carlos, took us on an interesting route while pointing out and identifying fish and coral. There was a small underwater arch you could swim through if you can hold your breath.... Good fun. We then went to 'shark and ray ally' where the water was full of huge rays and nurse sharks. The final part of the tour was surprised to be to the coral gardens... But I think that the other family we went with has asked to look for Manetees... Which we did... We caught a glimps of one, but think I'd have preferred to coral garden part - so double check you're going on the trip as advertised.
All in all a good trip.

1 Thank j5183v
Varde, Denmark
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent and VERY helpful staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I am so pleased with the service I got at Hicoca tours! I have never done snorkelling before this, so I can't really compare the quality of that, but the staff was amazing! Throughout the tour I got really seasick, but the staff took so good care of me and one of the tour-leaders, a young boy named Cristiano, helped me feeling a bit better and even came up to me in the boat, while the others were snorkelling, to take me on a bit more "relaxed" snorkelling-tour while I was feeling ill. He also affored me to take pictures with my camera of all the animals, while I (very unfortunately) had to stay on the boat. The pictures were great, and i can definitely recommend this agency! Good advice: Wear a T-shirt (you don't notice how burned you have become before getting back to the island) and if you're like me, and have never tried snorkelling before, be prepared for some sea-sickness and maybe have some pills with you.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank SofieToft
Edmonton, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was a wonderfully friendly, reliable and professional tour company. I did the full day snorkelling tour with them (highly recommended!). The first few sites were guided snorkels (tour participants followed the guide rather than went off on your own)--wasn't sure how I felt about this at first but I ended up being so happy it was done this way b/c I saw and learned so much more than I would have on my own! Salvador was a fabulous knowledgeable guide but also very respectful of the sea-life, which by the sounds of other reviews is something that not all companies/guides can say. We fed the sharks and had the opportunity to touch a shark and a ray while snorkelling, but it was nothing like the disruptive gong-show feeding frenzy circus I've read described about other tour companies. The staff at the office were super friendly with great senses of humour, so if nothing else, just stop by for a chat! Overall great experience with great people--highly recommended!

Visited August 2012