“Hard to imagine how this could be better”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of CayeReef

We can't find prices for this hotel
CayeReef
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Texas
“Hard to imagine how this could be better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Three of us stayed here at the beginning of December. Blown away by the comfort of the pace and the combination friendliness and efficiency. The location is excellent - but then everywhere onCaye Caulker is close. Definitely want to come back.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
abilene, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed at the CayeReef at the end of October 2011 and Loved it. It was just our luck that tropical storm Rena turned into a Hurricane and looked like it was headed straight towards us. Bobbie assured us that we were in the safest building on the island and had it been a Mandatory Evacuation that CayeReef would be used as a shelter for the locals.

After renting a golf cart and driving all over the "little" island we found this to be the nicest place overall and we're glad we chose it. There are only SIX units. One and Two are on the bottom floor and the benefit is being closer to the pool and not having to walk up the stairs (no elevators). The second floor condos are numbered Three and Four. We stayed in Number 3 and I felt it was perfect for us for security reasons. Five and Six on the top floor are called the PentHouse Condos and although I didn't go in one, I've read where they are very nice. But again, the downside is ALL those stairs. The Very TOP has the HotTub, lounge chairs, and hammocks. I took pictures of some really great sunset up there. Great View and being the tallest building on the island...you feel on "top of the world".

I had read reviews on here prior to going about security issues. Bobbie will tell you right up front that there are petty thieves on the island and to always keep your doors and windows locked. She said the average person on Caye Caulker makes a wage of 10.00 US per day. I tend to leans towards the paranoid side of life when travelling. I checked and double checked our patio doors everytime we left the condo and again checked it two or three times before we went to bed each night. When staying on the second and third floor you really only have to secure your patio doors and windows. The "petty thieves" are not there to hurt you (in my opinion) but to take money or valuables. There is a safe provided in the room and we definitely used ours.
The island is so small that you can walk everywhere. We rented a golf cart for 2 days and used the person that Bobbie recommended. At 70.00US, I found this to be a little steep. But, since the entertainment (diving and scuba) were shut down due to the storm....this was our entertainment!!!
My favorite place to eat was the CayeCaulker Pizza. I've never had pizza soooo good!!! I still think about it :) It's only open at night and down a little side street. I've been told that he is not as popular with the locals because he takes away business. So, if you are looking for directions ask another tourist.
If you like Sushi, go to Caribbean Colors. She cooks her fish so we felt comfortable with that. She is above the Sports Bar and also serves GREAT COFFEE!!! The place right across the street from her (can't remember the name) was good too. Although when ordering barbeque chicken my husband got the neck as part of his "three piece". I've heard their pork chops are really good. We also went to Habeneros. They had been closed for all of October and had just reopened. The food was the best, in my husbands opinion but I found it to be a bit pricey.
The Split (Favorite Tourist Spot) is really close to CayeReef and is a great place to hang out.
There are two ways to get to Caye Caulker and we chose TropicAir over the WaterTaxi. The flight was smoothe and Bobbie had someone waiting on us at the airstrip to take us to our room and carry UP our luggage. We took the water taxi one day to go over to Ambergris Caye. In my opinion, it was a waste of time and money. Anything that we found or did over there we could have done on CayeCaulker. Unless you are looking for adventure and then I think they probably offer more variety. We just went over there to shop and eat.
The condo is really nice and the kitchen is well stocked. I had feared they wouldn't have ice trays as I knew I wanted bottled water ice. So, I brought my own. Seems like other travellers thought the same things as we found we had plenty of trays. The kitchen is stocked with a blender that works really well!!! The couch in the living room was very comfy. The beds were comfortable and I loved the hammock on the balcony. The Condo has cable channels and offered enough to keep my husband happy. I was content to read and watch the weather on the computer when we were there for downtime.
The water for the condos is SOLAR and if I remember correctly each condo gets 60 gallons. So if you use all the water at night for showers just remember that the SuN WILL COME Out TTOMorroW (sung to the Tune - LOL)!!!
The internet (free wifi) was really slow. But it was there and it worked. For that I was thankful as we really depended on it to track Hurricane Rena.
There are lots of choices for places to stay on Caye Caulker but if I had it to do all over again...I still would have chose CAYEREEF!!!

Room Tip: You probably won't get a choice as they stayed booked. I prefer the middle (rooms 3 and 4)for s...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank ausuml
Long island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Caye Reef condos are spacious and well equipped in the kitchen and living areas. At the north end of the smaller of the two cayes, it enjoys quiet away from other accommodations more in the center of things. One can get almost anywhere on Caye Caulker easily and quickly enough, anyhow. This condo complex also is a neighbor of a tourist travel shop next door (look for accompanying review) called Tsunami Adventures...so so much is at your fingertips.

Caye Reef has great amenities and Bobbi, the manager, arranges your transport to get to onto Caye Caulker and out making someone unaccustomed to the area able to not worry about the small stuff. In our case, she left a cell phone available in our apartment if we needed to reach her or to make a local call.

In addition, the price was fantastic! Especially given what that money bought.

One small criticism, the master bedroom in the room I stayed in (#2) should have had screens, but didn't. The other rooms all did.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thanks for the excellent review and kind words Calvero. Some window screens were lost in the last big storm and replacements are on order from the city.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

We visited Caye Reef in December and loved out visit to Caye Caulker, especially the accomodations at Caye Reef. I believe it was only a year old when we visited and certainely looked much nicer than most of the other accomodations we saw on the island.

The island is so small that really there is not a bad location on the island, however this property is located close to the split, which makes it especially nicely located. Obviously not a far walk back to the main pier or restaurants and they will pick you up in a golf cart to take you to your hotel.

The rooms are very new, fully furnished, and very comfortable. By far the best component of this hotel is the hot tub on the roof! We went with another couple and would hang out on the roof for hours in the hot tub watching the sunset and having a gorgeous view of the ocean on both sides of us!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I was here in October. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the apartment here. It is very spacious, very clean and well-furnished. The roof top area offers views of both the sunrise and sunset, Caye Caulker being rather small. Bobbi, the manager, was very helpful and she arranged for me to be picked up at the airport and met me when I landed on the Caye via water taxi. The kitchen was big enough and had all the pots, pans, dishes, etc. to take care of feeding a large family. There was ample bottled water, and coffee. When I come back to Caye Caulker and "go slow" again, I will surely try to book in Caye Reef.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

After searching, the reviews decided to spend more money and stay in a nicer place for my first visit to Caye Caulker. I was traveling alone and wanted to make sure that I would be staying in a safe, clean place. CayeReef met and exceeded that basic requirements. Bobbi was helpful with arranging taxi from airport to water ferry and pick up once I arrived at Caye Caulker. CayeReef is at a good location, very close to The Split. I went during the low season so everything was quiet, but I know when things pick up with the start of their busy season, this would be a great location.

I stayed in first floor apartment least expensive of the three choices and closet to pool. The place is huge and probably, not best suited for a single traveler, but more for family or group of travelers. Nevertheless, there is a full kitchen so you have option to cook or eat out. Everything was clean and well decorated. Loved the roof top, hammock and hot tub. Perfect for watching the sun sink down into the ocean and the stars slowly come out. Only complaint was mattresses were super firm, which wasn't my thing, but its a hotel, not home. I get it.

If you're not a backpacker, and a grown up then, you will love staying at the CayeReef, which offers best accomadations and comfort on Caye, if it's worth it to you to pay more.

Room Tip: Save your money and go with first floor apartment. It's a simple walk up a couple of flights to...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jennifer S
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

I stayed at CayeReef in April 2011, but I have been holding out on reviewing it b/c I don't want the news to spread. The hotel is excellent-easily the best on the island. While the building itself is somewhat of an eye-sore, the rooms are HUGE and very tastefully decorated. If you are looking for luxury though don't stay here. This is a great self-catering hotel that is clean, comfortable and affordable. If you are looking to get pampered and waited on hand and food this is not the place for you. That being said, Bobby was pretty friendly. My only complaint is that the hot tub is not hot at all, which really isn't so bad since it's about 80 degrees year around. The pool was a nice way to relax after spending a day at the Split. I would highly suggest you stay at a hotel with a pool.

Room Tip: They can arrange a taxi to pick you and take you to the pier. It's expensive, but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Thanks for the great review and glad you enjoyed yourselves. We ran into a technical problem with the hot tub (which is supposed to be hot - at least in the evenings). It will be on-line again very soon.