“The Best place to stay on Caye Caulker”
Review of CayeReef

We can't find prices for this hotel
CayeReef
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Ainsworth, Nebraska, United States
“The Best place to stay on Caye Caulker”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Our family just got back from Caye Caulker. There were 8 of us and we stayed in the 2 penthouse suites in the CayeReef. We loved it. The kitchens were great for making your own meals. We made breakfast but ate out the other meals. The rooms were very comfortable. Enjoyed every minute of our stay. Bobbi was very helpful and went out of her way to make our stay great. Our adult children and their spouses loved the hot tub and the hammocks. The roof top area has the best view on the island. Can't wait to go back. Best Christmas ever!!

Room Tip: I would recommend the penthouse rooms as they have the best view!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Schrad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My boyfriend and I fell in love with Caye Caulker...possibly the friendliest place on earth?!! Our stay was heightened by our accommodation at CayeReef. We were not expecting our apartment to be so spacious, like a home away from home. The hammock on the balcony was a hit and the roof top balcony with jacuzzi and hammocks was a great look out particularly at sun set.

We would most certainly love to visit Caye Caulker and the CayeReef again,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jayney_Dee
Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed at CayeReef for 10 nights and found the staff very friendly and the rooms spacious and comfortable. It was nice having a kitchen to make breakfasts and dinners on rainy days. The balcony overlooks the water & you can see the waves from the reef. It was extremely relaxing to swing in the hammock and listen to the birds and water. CayeReef is located at the northern end of the island, close to the split but a short walking distance to the popular restaurants. We appreciated the location because by 8:00 p.m. every night it was quiet. The condos are decorated with local art which is amazing. The kitchen is furnished with everything you need - silverware, pans, plates, etc. We did not use the coffee machine because it was quite dirty on the inside so we walked down to the Happy Lobster every morning and got coffee to go. It was a nice way to get fresh air & a morning walk. As a side note, the the Happy Lobster has large to go cups & really good coffee! The kitchen also has spices which was really nice when we bought red snapper from a fisherman on the pier in front of the condo.

We celebrated my husband's 40th birthday during our vacation and the staff helped me surprise him by ordering a cake for me made by a local. It was so much more than what I expected and my husband was completely surprised! It was huge (and delicious) so we cut it up into pieces & bought plastic containers so we could bring it home for our family to enjoy as well.

We appreciated Bobbie sent someone to the airstrip to pick us up ($10 USD) as it would have been quite a long walk with our luggage (about a mile I would guess).

The reason we did not rate CayeReef as excellent is because of a few things:

-- There were 2 mornings and 1 afternoon that we did not have any hot water to take showers. After diving in the morning and walking back to our room in the rain, a hot shower would have been divine and I was quite disappointed to find no pressure or heat.

-- The hot tub was only warm 3 out of the 10 nights and the other days it was quite cold. We asked the staff many times to turn the heat on, but it never happened.

-- The WiFi in our room (#6 - Penthouse) only worked 2 out of the 10 days.

-- Bobbie seemed a little preoccupied when she was in the office and although she is a very nice person, we found the staff more friendly and helpful when we needed fresh towels, water, etc.

All of these things are minor in the big picture, but when you are paying $185/night USD, we expected the amenities offered (and what we were paying for) to be working.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #6 (the Penthouse) and it had amazing views of the water & reef.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BnRadventures
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Thank you BnRadventures for taking the time to give us feed-back. You make many positive comments and a few criticisms to which I respond below:

+The coffee jugs are a bit brown, but I can assure you that this is simply coffee staining and not dirt - they are thoroughly cleaned for each guest.

+I apologise for the occasions when you had inadequate hot water. This is a rare event as there was both no sun for the solar hot water and, coincidentally, especially poor local grid power quality which caused the breaker to trip repeatedly on the back-up electric heater and pumps. We are looking at solutions to this power quality issue.

+I have spoken with staff and it seems that they did try to action your request to turn the hot-tub heating on, but that the local grid power quality issue was tripping the breaker and causing problems with the heater. A new heater is being imported to address concerns. Clearly staff should have explained the situation to you and this has been communicated to them.

+The router in your apartment has been replaced and full function restored.

We hope we will see you again at CayeReef.
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I love Caye Calker, to the point that I want to live there. When my family arrived to Caye Reef it was raining, but simply sitting out on the large porch looking over the water, even with rain, you still felt the magical energy of this place.

Caye Reef is a small hotel with 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom condos, and are the best place to stay for families. This is not only a place to stay while you're on vacation, you can literally move in and live here forever!

It's super spacious, with a huge living room, a large kitchen with all the amenities you need, and 2 large bedrooms with 2 bathrooms. What else do you need.

We are not big on staying in our room a lot, but with a little bit of rain and traveling with a one year old, we find ourselves staying inside more than we want. But the way the porch is set up, you feel as though you are still walking around Caye Calker, with the luxury of a hammock and cozy chair.

Plus, the pool was a great energy burner for my older son who couldn't sit still for too long. I was able to watch him easily while my baby slept.

Another great point is that it's right near the split. Caye Calker is tiny and walkable to every part of the island, but the Split is one of the most magical spots and it was less than a 3 minute walk from the hotel!

I swear if I could, I'd be there year round in the apartment overlooking the dirt road and feeling totally relaxed!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marina K
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
It is always easier to complain than praise so we really do appreciate when you let us know we are getting it right. Many thanks for the kind words.
McKinney, Texas, United States
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Can't imagine a better place on the island. Bobbie is a perfect hostess and made our time at Caye Reef outstanding. This is THE PLACE to stay on Caye Caulker.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Texas
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Three of us stayed here at the beginning of December. Blown away by the comfort of the pace and the combination friendliness and efficiency. The location is excellent - but then everywhere onCaye Caulker is close. Definitely want to come back.

• Stayed December 2011
abilene, tx
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed at the CayeReef at the end of October 2011 and Loved it. It was just our luck that tropical storm Rena turned into a Hurricane and looked like it was headed straight towards us. Bobbie assured us that we were in the safest building on the island and had it been a Mandatory Evacuation that CayeReef would be used as a shelter for the locals.

After renting a golf cart and driving all over the "little" island we found this to be the nicest place overall and we're glad we chose it. There are only SIX units. One and Two are on the bottom floor and the benefit is being closer to the pool and not having to walk up the stairs (no elevators). The second floor condos are numbered Three and Four. We stayed in Number 3 and I felt it was perfect for us for security reasons. Five and Six on the top floor are called the PentHouse Condos and although I didn't go in one, I've read where they are very nice. But again, the downside is ALL those stairs. The Very TOP has the HotTub, lounge chairs, and hammocks. I took pictures of some really great sunset up there. Great View and being the tallest building on the island...you feel on "top of the world".

I had read reviews on here prior to going about security issues. Bobbie will tell you right up front that there are petty thieves on the island and to always keep your doors and windows locked. She said the average person on Caye Caulker makes a wage of 10.00 US per day. I tend to leans towards the paranoid side of life when travelling. I checked and double checked our patio doors everytime we left the condo and again checked it two or three times before we went to bed each night. When staying on the second and third floor you really only have to secure your patio doors and windows. The "petty thieves" are not there to hurt you (in my opinion) but to take money or valuables. There is a safe provided in the room and we definitely used ours.
The island is so small that you can walk everywhere. We rented a golf cart for 2 days and used the person that Bobbie recommended. At 70.00US, I found this to be a little steep. But, since the entertainment (diving and scuba) were shut down due to the storm....this was our entertainment!!!
My favorite place to eat was the CayeCaulker Pizza. I've never had pizza soooo good!!! I still think about it :) It's only open at night and down a little side street. I've been told that he is not as popular with the locals because he takes away business. So, if you are looking for directions ask another tourist.
If you like Sushi, go to Caribbean Colors. She cooks her fish so we felt comfortable with that. She is above the Sports Bar and also serves GREAT COFFEE!!! The place right across the street from her (can't remember the name) was good too. Although when ordering barbeque chicken my husband got the neck as part of his "three piece". I've heard their pork chops are really good. We also went to Habeneros. They had been closed for all of October and had just reopened. The food was the best, in my husbands opinion but I found it to be a bit pricey.
The Split (Favorite Tourist Spot) is really close to CayeReef and is a great place to hang out.
There are two ways to get to Caye Caulker and we chose TropicAir over the WaterTaxi. The flight was smoothe and Bobbie had someone waiting on us at the airstrip to take us to our room and carry UP our luggage. We took the water taxi one day to go over to Ambergris Caye. In my opinion, it was a waste of time and money. Anything that we found or did over there we could have done on CayeCaulker. Unless you are looking for adventure and then I think they probably offer more variety. We just went over there to shop and eat.
The condo is really nice and the kitchen is well stocked. I had feared they wouldn't have ice trays as I knew I wanted bottled water ice. So, I brought my own. Seems like other travellers thought the same things as we found we had plenty of trays. The kitchen is stocked with a blender that works really well!!! The couch in the living room was very comfy. The beds were comfortable and I loved the hammock on the balcony. The Condo has cable channels and offered enough to keep my husband happy. I was content to read and watch the weather on the computer when we were there for downtime.
The water for the condos is SOLAR and if I remember correctly each condo gets 60 gallons. So if you use all the water at night for showers just remember that the SuN WILL COME Out TTOMorroW (sung to the Tune - LOL)!!!
The internet (free wifi) was really slow. But it was there and it worked. For that I was thankful as we really depended on it to track Hurricane Rena.
There are lots of choices for places to stay on Caye Caulker but if I had it to do all over again...I still would have chose CAYEREEF!!!

Room Tip: You probably won't get a choice as they stayed booked. I prefer the middle (rooms 3 and 4)for s...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family