“Overrated”
Review of CayeReef

We can't find prices for this hotel
CayeReef
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I really wanted to love this place and was so excited to stay here, especially given the glowing reviews on this site, but I am sorry to say that I was really disappointed. I was most excited about the rooftop hot tub, so I dropped my bags and ran up to the roof only to find that the hot tub was not so hot. In fact, it was cold and broken. I moped back to the room, where I found my boyfriend reading a note from the owner stating that our room's air conditioning was broken. Luckily it was nighttime, so the room was fine, and she waived the rental costs for that night. I was definitely hoping for more given the price and what was promised. We also stayed at Seaside Cabanas while on Caye Caulker, and I would definitely recommend it over CayeReef, even if it also didn't happen to be less expensive, which it is. I wish it wasn't so, but unfortunately, we didn't have the relaxing experience we hoped for at CayeReef.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth L
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

It is unfortunate that your night's stay coincided with electrical power quality issues on the Caye which caused our relevant electrical breaker to refuse to close (this fault has now been cleared). We apologise for the resulting problems and hope the full refund went some way to mitigate your disappointment.

There are newer reviews for CayeReef

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Caye Reef sits at the north end of the island, a few hundred yards south of the split and The famous Lazy Lizard. The rooms are spacious and we were on the second floor with windows facing east towards the reef. The main street Playa Ascuncion runs below so we sat on our balcony and enjoyed watching the locals and tourists alike stroll SLOWLY by. High recommendation.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Top floor condo was huge, with two good bedrooms (hard pillows, though) and bathrooms, big living room and well-equiped kitchen. Great balcony with a hammock that was in constant use. Steady breeze, so no bugs. We never used the AC, but did use bedroom fan at night to move the breeze to the back rooms. Bobbi is very helpful and nice. Hated to leave.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

From what I saw over 12 days in December 2011, this is the nicest place on the island. This is not a hotel, but more like staying in a condo. Be sure to book early because there are only 6 rooms. The rooms are big with nice kitchens and living room. Absolutely loved the rooftop hot tub...best place for sunsets. The only negative would be the A/C was not strong enough for the whole place so tended to get too hot at night because you can't set the temperature you want.

Room Tip: go for rooms 1 - 4 because they are on the 2 lower floors and there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank acarmelguy
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

Thanks for the positive review. The AC temperature is set at a level comfortable for most of our guests. It can be adjusted by the manager on request, apologies this was not made clear.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Our family just got back from Caye Caulker. There were 8 of us and we stayed in the 2 penthouse suites in the CayeReef. We loved it. The kitchens were great for making your own meals. We made breakfast but ate out the other meals. The rooms were very comfortable. Enjoyed every minute of our stay. Bobbi was very helpful and went out of her way to make our stay great. Our adult children and their spouses loved the hot tub and the hammocks. The roof top area has the best view on the island. Can't wait to go back. Best Christmas ever!!

Room Tip: I would recommend the penthouse rooms as they have the best view!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Schrad
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My boyfriend and I fell in love with Caye Caulker...possibly the friendliest place on earth?!! Our stay was heightened by our accommodation at CayeReef. We were not expecting our apartment to be so spacious, like a home away from home. The hammock on the balcony was a hit and the roof top balcony with jacuzzi and hammocks was a great look out particularly at sun set.

We would most certainly love to visit Caye Caulker and the CayeReef again,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayney_Dee
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed at CayeReef for 10 nights and found the staff very friendly and the rooms spacious and comfortable. It was nice having a kitchen to make breakfasts and dinners on rainy days. The balcony overlooks the water & you can see the waves from the reef. It was extremely relaxing to swing in the hammock and listen to the birds and water. CayeReef is located at the northern end of the island, close to the split but a short walking distance to the popular restaurants. We appreciated the location because by 8:00 p.m. every night it was quiet. The condos are decorated with local art which is amazing. The kitchen is furnished with everything you need - silverware, pans, plates, etc. We did not use the coffee machine because it was quite dirty on the inside so we walked down to the Happy Lobster every morning and got coffee to go. It was a nice way to get fresh air & a morning walk. As a side note, the the Happy Lobster has large to go cups & really good coffee! The kitchen also has spices which was really nice when we bought red snapper from a fisherman on the pier in front of the condo.

We celebrated my husband's 40th birthday during our vacation and the staff helped me surprise him by ordering a cake for me made by a local. It was so much more than what I expected and my husband was completely surprised! It was huge (and delicious) so we cut it up into pieces & bought plastic containers so we could bring it home for our family to enjoy as well.

We appreciated Bobbie sent someone to the airstrip to pick us up ($10 USD) as it would have been quite a long walk with our luggage (about a mile I would guess).

The reason we did not rate CayeReef as excellent is because of a few things:

-- There were 2 mornings and 1 afternoon that we did not have any hot water to take showers. After diving in the morning and walking back to our room in the rain, a hot shower would have been divine and I was quite disappointed to find no pressure or heat.

-- The hot tub was only warm 3 out of the 10 nights and the other days it was quite cold. We asked the staff many times to turn the heat on, but it never happened.

-- The WiFi in our room (#6 - Penthouse) only worked 2 out of the 10 days.

-- Bobbie seemed a little preoccupied when she was in the office and although she is a very nice person, we found the staff more friendly and helpful when we needed fresh towels, water, etc.

All of these things are minor in the big picture, but when you are paying $185/night USD, we expected the amenities offered (and what we were paying for) to be working.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #6 (the Penthouse) and it had amazing views of the water & reef.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BnRadventures
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Thank you BnRadventures for taking the time to give us feed-back. You make many positive comments and a few criticisms to which I respond below:

+The coffee jugs are a bit brown, but I can assure you that this is simply coffee staining and not dirt - they are thoroughly cleaned for each guest.

+I apologise for the occasions when you had inadequate hot water. This is a rare event as there was both no sun for the solar hot water and, coincidentally, especially poor local grid power quality which caused the breaker to trip repeatedly on the back-up electric heater and pumps. We are looking at solutions to this power quality issue.

+I have spoken with staff and it seems that they did try to action your request to turn the hot-tub heating on, but that the local grid power quality issue was tripping the breaker and causing problems with the heater. A new heater is being imported to address concerns. Clearly staff should have explained the situation to you and this has been communicated to them.

+The router in your apartment has been replaced and full function restored.

We hope we will see you again at CayeReef.