“The perfect place to relax - IGNORE THE PEOPLE ON THE DOCK”
Review of CayeReef

We can't find prices for this hotel
CayeReef
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
London
“The perfect place to relax - IGNORE THE PEOPLE ON THE DOCK”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Fantastic place. I advise walking directly from the dock, it's not a long wander AND tell any of the idiots who follow you that you are already booked whether you are or not. These supposedly helpful people will then claim money off the owner for allegedly referring you. They are no-mark wasters so tell them to go away.
Back to the place, we had a beautiful big apartment on the ground floor. Big rooms, lovely and cool, a very comfy bed. A safe is provided, lovely kitchen and big fridge and freezer, comfy sofas and cable TV. A phone is supplied if you need help, but there is usually someone around. I can't rate the apartment highly enough, it was a home from home.
Both Bobbi and Heidi were very helpful (Heidi can hire you bikes too), two kayaks are available (be careful of the big red one as it can leak a bit on a long journey).
The pool is great and well maintained and the hot tub on the roof is great to watch the sunset with a beer.
All in all a fantastic place, I can't believe anywhere on the island is better.

Room Tip: Just have a look.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Omegacds
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thanks for the great review Omegacds. If you reserve a room, we will meet you on the pier, but please tell us which boat you're on. Otherwise you can ask any of the waiting golf cart taxis to take you to CayeReef. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We arrived on Caye Caulker with no idea where we were going to stay. By chance a taxi-golf cart let us to this hotel. It was mid aug. and the manager, Bobbi gave us a grrreat deal on a gorgeous room.We would not have picked it out because it looked way to expensive ,we got the off season deal for 120 anight worth every penny. Our room had a full kitchen large deck with the most beautiful ocean view. The AC worked great. The views were so great you could see the ocean when you shower. A true honey moon place. I loved it that the maid didn't come in the room they give you what ever you ask for. Nicest hotel on the island. The snokel shop is next store and they are great and plan all your trips, ask for Danille and Alvin for your tour guides.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean, not a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
gulf shores
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at Caye Reef during a recent three week trip to Peru, Panama, and Belize.The unit was a top floor unit and was a good value for the money. The unit had three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, bar, and a great deck overlooking the sea. The AC was cold, the bed was comfortable, and the furniture was comfortable. The internet signal was strong and the boob tube had many channels. We made ourselves coffee every morning and ate treats from the local bakery. The pool and hor tub looked nice, however we never had any time to use them. The entire property was clean and well organized leaving guests little to do but enjoy the activities on Caye Caulker. I would absolutely stay there again. Enjoy. Richard Garcia

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nohassle1956
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Well, let me begin by saying, sorry for the delay with this review. Back in November I was traveling to Caye Caulker and wanted to try different places to stay with my girlfriend. We had the pleasure of staying a night at The Caye Reef. The room was outstanding and the view extraordinary. We had a great meal at Don Corleone's and tok a stroll down the way towards the split. The moon was full and beautiful giving a very romantic view of nature.
We then retired to our room and relaxed in the hammock on the veranda for a while. We decided to sleep with the windows open because the breeze was too good to be true.
What a beautiful place to stay.
Thank you to Bobbie and her staff for making us feel at home.

Room Tip: All the amenities of home, but who wants that in paradise? There is WiFi, good A/C, bottled water, c...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoSlow1981
Olhao, Portugal
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here for one week with family. Taxi transfer from the airport was hassle free. The place was way bigger than expected and spotless. The staff were great - not in your face, but always ready to help (they gave us a cell phone to reach them too!). The roof views are out of this world and the hot tub was heated when we requested (a mistake because it was too hot for a 'hot' tub). Highly recommended. Cool and quite, but near the action - we let the breeze blow through the apartment and didn't need to turn the AC on (fans at night).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert B
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We spent 6 nights in the penthouse and could not have been happier. Great views, great sized unit and close to the roof with the spa. [Won't call it a hot tub because it's not heated but then who wants that in June!] We spent a couple of afternoons up there and found the chill factor outstanding. Quick walk to the split and up on the N. end so a bit quieter at night than other areas. They also cleaned the beachfront every morning and it was immaculate with reserved seating. :)

They provided a cell phone which we didnt think we would use but sure enough we ordered pizza delivery 1 night and booked TropicAir for our flight out instead of taking the slow, overcrowded ferry. [btw - Trpic flies into Belize Int'l]. They also provided large Crystal bottled water even though they purchase their regular water from the city and it was safe to drink. A very nice perk.

I would highly recommend this place. Nice staff, super location and excellent A/C!!

Room Tip: Penthouse is the best, only 1 more flight to the rooftop
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Doug H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2012

For the price and location, CayeReef is a nice place to stay. It's a 5 minute walk from the center of "town" but close to the split, which is the best place for swimming. The rooms are big, have nice balconies and are well air conditioned, but the furniture is dated relative to the rest of the property and my bed sheets had lots of stains on them, which I wouldn't mind at one of the island hostels but for this place was a little disappointing. Outside, the pool and roof deck were both great. If you need a pool to cool off, this is one of the better options on the island. The hot tub wasn't hot but that didn't matter much to me.

The SCAM. So this isn't a huge deal but the owner should know better than to scam her customers. Basically, after I booked my room I got an email saying they would meet me at the airport and take me to the ferry for $25 (US) which is the same price of a cab -- this is true and so I didn't hesitate. What I didn't know is that they actually were charging $25 EACH to me and 3 other unsuspecting people and I had to wait 45 minutes outside the airport with driver so he could fill his van. Because of this, I had to wait for the next ferry to Caulker and effectively could have taken a taxi alone for the same price. To top it off, when I arrived at Caulker and had no idea where the place was there was no one from the hotel there to greet me, as had been promised, which was confusing/annoying. I really expected more from a place where everyone was so friendly.

Also, they double charged by credit card for the room though I assume this was just an honest mistake.

All in all, a good place to stay on Caulker but don't get duped by the taxi scam--pay for your own and get to the water taxi as fast as you can -- no reason to spend any extra time in Belize City.

Room Tip: Second and third floor rooms have better views of the sea.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank bigbertnyc
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
I am sorry to hear that the taxi service was not to your expectation. The taxi driver was wholly independent of CayeReef and we gain no commission or other benefit from arranging a taxi to meet our guests. I expect missing the ferry was the reason you were not met on the Caye; though I trust you caught one of the many golf cart taxi drivers the short drive to CayeReef.