“Just like home!”

Canuck Cottages
Whitby, Canada
“Just like home!”
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We were very pleased with the layout of the cottage and our renters Sally and Scott greeted us with "if there's anything you need, let us know... what is ours is yours." He was true to his word when the I pod station didn't charge our I pod.. he lent us his!. Their recommentations on the local restaurants and attractions were very helpful. Such accommodating hosts made our stay very relaxing and trouble free. The cottage came with all the ammenities we needed.. and we loved relaxing on the porch with our friend Iggy the iguana. The free bicycles certainly came in handy for touring the island. We look forward to our next visit and recommend the cottage to all our friends. We met some people who had wanted to stay there but we were the lucky ones. The cottage is located off the beaten track which we enjoyed since we could enjoy the many birds and especially the humminbirds that feasted on the nectar in the flowers in the yard. Thank you Sally and Scott for a wonderful stay at your cottage...you are the best! Kirk and Barb.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Caye Caulker is a magical place. The people, coral reef, and secret beach trails make it the perfect getaway from the daily grind. This was the first real vacation my boyfriend and I have had in years, and it was perfect for us. The cottage is well loved and you can literally feel the good vibes. Every time I thought of something I needed, it was there. We loved having a case of Belikin already in the fridge upon our arrival, and Sally and Scott were the ideal hosts. Comfy bed, cable TV, high ceilings, and awesome front porch all make this the perfect home base after a long day on the water. We had a wonderful time and made some lovely new friends! Definitely stay at Canuck Cottage!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I arranged my stay with Sally via email with no hassle at all, and she arranged for a taxi to meet me at the airport. The driver, Jason, was super friendly. When I arrived on Caye Caulker (via water taxi and a golf cart taxi to the cottage), Sally was there waiting for me. I felt very welcomed, and was relieved/excited by the cottage, which was immaculate and comfy. It really felt like my home away from home. Both Sally and Scott are nice, interesting people, so I enjoyed chatting with them when I was at home, though I spent a lot of time diving and sitting around near the water! A tropical storm blew through one day, setting off sirens - just when I started to wonder if I should be worried, Sally appeared to reassure me that they were just notifying businesses that they'd close early, nothing to be worried about. If the people who live on the island aren't worried - then I wasn't worried!

In any case - the cottage was great, I loved having all the space (and the cable TV to watch soccer, when the storm blew through) and knowing that I could pop over to see Sally and Scott if I had any questions/concerns. They were very hospitable, the place is great and it's insanely affordable. They even provided me with a bike to use, which I rode daily to and from the dive shop. It's nice to socialize when you want to, then go home to a quiet, relaxing cottage (complete with balcony and hammock)...

I'd highly recommend Canuck Cottage! Caye Caulker's best kept secret...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank divechiken
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 13 April 2010

We booked Canuck Cottage for 7 days in March. I had lots of questions for Sally before we came, and she answered them all over email really quickly.

We flew into Cancun and took the San Pedro Express from Chetumal into Belize, and we ended up not quite making it to Caye Caulker on the first night of our booking (we missed the last boat to Caye Caulker) and ended up staying in San Pedro for the night. Well, I called Sally from Chetumal and she said that was absolutely fine, and that perhaps we could add an extra night to the end of our trip if the house was available. It turns out it was, and Sally was kind enough not to charge for the missed night. It all worked out, and in the end, we were sad we didn't book Canuck Cottage for more than 7 nights!

Anyway: in a nutshell, Sally and Scott are the perfect hosts. We had our own house all to ourselves at a much better rate than any of the hotels. They made sure we had everything we needed: water, beer, towels, info, recommendations, etc. The house was fantastic, and the kitchen was extremely well stocked. We had a blender and a coffee maker and a TV! We certainly weren't roughing it. There were also two bikes that were available for our use, which turned out to be the best way to get around. The house is just a short bike ride from the town and from the beach, right on a quiet street.

Basically, we felt like we were staying with friends, and that's what Sally and Scott become. Lovely people with a great place for you to stay.

All in all, I cannot say enough for Canuck Cottage! If you want to go to Caye Caulker (and you should) then don't hesitate to book this place!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happyeditor
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We booked Canuck Cottage online and were more than happy with our experience. Our hosts, Sally and Scott were so kind and helpful and the cottage was fully equipped and very comfortable. They even gave us beach riders which we used to get around the island. The cottage has an open area that is a kitchen, dining area and sitting room with books, TV (60 channels) a bedroom and bathroom with shower. There is AC in the bedroom but we just kept the windows open and awakened to various sounds of birds in the morning. We were located on Back Street which is lit and just past the school. Since the island is so small it's easy and quick to get around. Our hosts provided us with beach towels, a cooler and even ordered us a case of Belikin (country's beer) at a lower cost. There are many wonderful restaurants and the people of the island are so friendly. We swam at "the Split" and went kayaking. One evening we went to a yoga class at Random Yoga who take you to a rooftop hotel for the class while you watch the sunset....you just make a donation. We had been to a bigger island the week before but found this much more suitable to our needs. There are stands with freshly squeezed juices and fruit as well a grocery stores. We rented a couple of Kayaks for 5$ an hour which was fun....however, in the end it was our hosts and their hospitality and charming place that won us over. We definitely plan to return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WinnieManitoba
Mohave Valley, AZ
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We returned from Caye Caulker last week after a two week visit. We stayed in Canuck Cottage which had all the amenities and privacy of home. The lady that owns this cottage is named Sally and she is most accommodating and helpful. Her house is behind the cottage so she is available for anything you might need. The people are very friendly and the pace on the island is slow. It is also a short boat ride to the island of Amberigris Caye and the town of San Pedro. The time we spent in Caye Caulker was very relaxing and enjoyable.

1 Thank mary4750
#21 of 53 in San Pedro
La Isla Resort
La Isla Resort
#7 of 31 in Caye Caulker

Been to Canuck Cottages? Share your experiences!