“The Best in Caye Caulker!”
Review of Amanda's Place

and 1 more site!
Amanda's Place
Ranked #2 of 33 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 9 day stay at Amanda's place. What a great place! I made reservations via e-mail a few month in advance. My emails were answered promptly and all of my questions and concerns were answered. Amanda made accommodations and call ahead for a driver to meet us at the airport. Upon our arrival our driver met us without a hitch, drove us to the water taxi. We waited for the water taxi to arrive and then made the ride to Caye Caulker. We were greeted by Amanda at the dock, assisted with our luggage and transported via golf cart to property. I paid for the cost of stay with a AAA prepaid travel card as recommended by AAA. As with any property there are instructions, for a developing country there were only a few restrictions considering the location of this beautiful island.(air conditioning and indoor plumbing are not in many of the homes) The property is well kept, pool was crystal clear and there are lounge chairs, hammocks and chairs to set and relax in. Both my husband and I loved watching the small crabs,geckos, iguanas and native birds. The location is tops! The property is located near the center of restaurants, tours and shopping but just far enough away that you still have peace and quiet. While we stayed our linens were changed and room was serviced as we did stay 9 days. We rented bikes to transport ourselves around the island and there was no problem with us keeping the bikes on the property, locking them up for safety. We had breakfast just a short walk to Cafe Amore( good coffee) most mornings. Carlos Snorkeling tours just a few door away were fantastic! We rod our bikes everywhere...there are very few privately owned beautiful home with the amenities that Amanda's place has...can't wait to return in the future!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen E

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I loved my stay at Amanda's Place! A dip in the pool is refreshing during the hot days. The room is comfortable and clean, and beautifully decorated. The AC was definitely a bonus in July! Can't wait to visit again. Amanda is a wonderful host and took great care of me - including picking me up from the water taxi and making arrangements for me to fly from the Caye directly to BZE airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

85 US dollars a night is a bit much but the location was perfect. Big plus for refrigerator. Amanda is nice and helpful. Our room came with a pet: A gecko that woke us up 3-4 times each night. Didn't mind it much though. A few word on the island itself: Compared to the Caribbean spots in Mexico I think Belize is pretty expensive and the people are not as nice and friendly and service minded as they are on the Mexican side. Still, it's a cool experience to see the differences in culture. It's like a mix between Mexico and Jamaica in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Picked Amanda's Place here on trip advisor, right from the start Amanda was very helpful, first by sending us a taxi driver from the airport to the water taxi (Jason, who's very friendly) from there we got on the boat and Amanda was waiting for us on the warf in Caye Caulker. Upon our arrival, Amanda showed us around and how things were done down there. The place is clean as a Whistle, with everything you need, loved the shower!!!
The place is equipped with a beautiful pool, wich is needed since there is no close beach where you can swim, beside the split. The place is perfectly located just a little walk from the action, but quiet at night :)
I spent my Birthday there and Amanda even thought of bringing me flowers and a card xoxo
So, overall I really feel like we picked the right place to stay!
Amanda is a bit strict on who we let in on the property....which made me feel safer since we were only women on our trip ;)
We wanted to fly back to Belize city, Amanda gladly took care of booking taxi and flight for us!!!
Thanks for everything Amanda!!!
Unforgettable!!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We hadn't booked anything when we got to Belize and met a family in the ferry from Mexico to Belize that had booked a room at Amanda's place.
We met Amanda at the ferry dock where she picked up this family and asked if she had any rooms left. Luckily she had, the room was really cosy and had a feeling of home in it.
The small kitchen area was great to make a simple snack or breakfast, drinking water was included and the pool was a huge plus!
We has no problems at all staying here, we had a gecko in the room that woke us up early in the mornings (or in the middle if the night sometimes) but it wasn't a huge issue.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This place is great! I stayed with my wife for 3 days while on CC. This is my 5th time to CC and decided to give this place a try. We stayed in the upstairs cabana which was very spacious. It had a queen size bed, a large living area and kitchennette. No a/c, but you really do not need it there since the breeze keeps you nice and comfortable! It is very rustic, so dont expect 5 star accommodations, but def my fav place from now on! The owner Amanda lives accross the street and is always ready to help you out. The pool is nice, a little oddly built, but does teh trick during the hot sun. What I mean by that is that it is basically all one depth all around including the "hot tub area" which makes it hard to get in or out, big step down. Very clean and maintained tho, highly recommend. Located right by EVERYTHING! 5 minute walk to split, middle of island-like location FYI

Room Tip: Take the upstairs one for the most room available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Amandaowner, Owner at Amanda's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review, and hope to see you here again soon!

Amanda

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was surprised we didn't care for this accommodation after reading so many positives before booking. We stayed 3 nights in late May. Check out my other hotel reviews, I've never gave below a 4 before. We stayed in the lower left unit. Amanda met us at the water taxi and brought our 3 pieces of luggage to the property on her 2 seat golf cart, we had to walk the few blocks. She gave us several rules and cautions. "The prior guests had complained of bed bugs, they aren't bed bugs, they are sand flies that they got in the evening and don't start feeling until they try to sleep." We found a few small red ants that did bite in the beds the first night, I sprayed with deet and had no more problems. "Do not flush toilet paper, put it in the trash cans and use the extra trash can liners, take the trash outside to keep the smell down. Watch how much water you use in the shower, the last people complained it was backing up, I had it snaked, let me know if you have problems." It gurgled, but didn't back up on us. She showed us how to use a remote to turn on AC. "Don't change any settings, it will freeze up, you can run it when you are in the room, but shut it off when you leave, we leave it set at 73 so it would take some humidity out, but you would probably be more comfortable with the windows open." It was in the mid 90's when we were there. The first night we were exhausted and slept most of the night with the so called AC on, after that, we slept with the door open....not feeling safe....and still very uncomfortable. We couldn't stay in the room during the day due to the heat. We noticed that the other lower unit and the house kept their windows shut and the AC on, they seemed comfortable. "You don't have a safe, make sure you keep your valuables away from the windows, so someone doesn't reach in and take something, I do have bars on the windows."Amanda was around, and I didn't ask for help, I assumed from her attitude she already knew of all the problems. The evening before we left, she asked us when we would be leaving, and told us to make sure we washed all the dishes and take out all the trash before we left...I dumped trash more on vacation than I do at home. She had suggested paying with cash or travelers checks since credit cards have international charges. I had brought $400 in travelers checks to pay our $327 bill. She told me she couldn't make change. I searched through my money and found a $50 and she did make change for me. "You have wireless, it sometimes goes down. You can come let me know if you need it restarted. I'll check it before I go to bed, don't wake me up before 8. "I don't change the towels out, but if you need some put them on the chairs out front, I will bring you fresh ones." It did go down several times, but she usually reset it within the hour without us asking. Needless to say her run through of the conditions didn't set the mood for a good visit even though she through out the visit seemed friendly, and was available. The unit was what I expected, nice little beach house, cute little fenced in yard with very neat flowers and pool area. We used the pool constantly during the day when we came back from our tours due to the heat and lack of working AC. We sat with our feet in the pool in the morning watching people prior to leaving for our snorkeling activities for the day. In late afternoon we walked along the beach to stay comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't take the lower left....on good AC....gurgling pipes.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Amandaowner, Owner at Amanda's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with myself and the room amenities. I am most particularly upset that you did not mention that the A/C was not working. I would have had that fixed within a couple of hours of you letting me know. Every day I saw you or your daughter or husband and I asked if everything was ok.

I do think that you may have misunderstood the tone of my advice regarding how it operates, I do not mean to sound bossy, standoffish or demeaning, I am trying to be friendly and helpful. In a self catering unit, it makes sense to to let people know how it all works here - a tropical island off the coast of a developing country. Many of my guests have never visited a place like this before.

I am mostly mis-quoted. eg: making change. We were in your room and what I actually said was if you have a smaller note I can make change right now, if not I will pop out and get some for you. You supplied the smaller note so I did not realise that this had upset you. (All I was trying to do was save you a trip to the home/office to do the paperwork/payment as you seemed tired).

I do try meet all of my guests on arrival at the dock. My small golf cart however cannot sit more than two, and therefore I very often take the bags, and the guests often prefer to walk the 600 feet (400 from the other ferry) to the house from there along the beach and I drive slowly with them. There are plenty of golf cart taxis there which offer their services, and I let people know this and the price in the confirmation of the booking that I send out too.

I am sure if you had not been so uncomfortably warm, you would have been much happier, and for that I apologise. Through this feedback I have realised that the A/C unit does in fact have a serious issue and am replacing it today and would have done so much earlier if I had known (It starts up OK, then just blows air, I needed to test it for longer when I checked). (the new wifi range extender arrives tomorrow from the USA for install on Monday too!)

Thank you.