“Dirty, very dirty!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Lorraine's Guest House
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I paid two nights the cabana couse is the minimum the let you be in there. The trap is that, once you are inside after paying you are forced to stay 2 nights. We left after the first one, never been sleeping with such a mess, they didnt clean there in months, bedding old and dirty too and disgusting bathroom.. At least some cleaning to show some respect to that $40 US per night.

Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Lorraine's got three spacious cabañas on the premises, but for the needy and last minute arrived travelers on the island, like myself - a small shed for sleeping at the left of the building. Whatever you do, don't go for it. I didn't make any bookings on beforehand, but I am sure I could have found something slightly better had I given it an hour or more searching for rooms.
The room was dirty, smelly and soaked after just the slightest drizzle, so you can imagine how it was during the nights when the rain really sat in. It even rained on me when I was laying in bed! Cockroaches crawling everywhere, and god knows what else.
Bathroom was on the other side of the courtyard, and the flush didn't work so I had to fix that myself.... On the positive side, it had a nice shower and was cleaner than my actual room. Dreadful stay. (But the owners were nice though.)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

So were those suckers who were brought here by one of the guys at the ferry dock. Apparently don't do that. I'm sure we got ripped off. But anyway $40 a night around the holidays was good for us it seemed. We stayed in a cabana with a large deck with a hammock and table and chairs. There were 2 queen beds that were not too bad and it was nice having a coffee maker and fridge. The bathroom however....pretty gross. If you can get past the grossness around the toilet and the occasional cockroach its not that bad. But don't get hustled. You can find it on your own. It's only a block or so from the beach close to I and I reggae bar.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 15 November 2013

If it wasn't for the location, weather and lack of atmosphere; I'd be giving this place 5 stars. So to touch on those points: location) It's not on the beachfront, there is technically a sea view a la fawlty towers sketch, and it's a bit further out than other places, but this is only a slight niggle but kind of links into the next point.
Weather) Ok I know the weather is beyond control BUT be warned when it rains the potholed roads become labyrinths and can almost double your walking time.
No atmosphere speaks for itself, three private cabins that's it, no communal area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Lorraine's Guesthouse is located in the south of Caye Caulker, in the less touristy area. Nevertheless restaurants and supermarkets are close and since the island isn't too big anyway, any point on the island is a maximum 20 minute walk away.
The staff is nice but a little strange from time to time. The boss is open-hearted and helpful. If you want to play pool in the evening, he and his grandson are the perfect opponents - at least if you know how to play- they are good. The boss loves drinking rum, so don't be surprised to find him half drunk sitting under the porch at night. Speaking of the boss's grandson: He's going to take over the business once his grandpa is too old, but he doesn't seem to like the idea that much. Nonetheless, he's a nice kid and helpful, too.
The huts are clean and comfortable, but you will realize that the mosquito nets only provide a minimum of protection against the sandflys. There are sandflys everywhere. But that's a general problem in Belize and the Cayes. Take strong mosquito repellent with you to get rid of those blood suckers.
Be careful who takes you to the hostel. Try to get there on your own, not with one of the hustlers waiting at the port - they will charge a provision, which will be passed down to you via the room prices.
The prices at Lorraine's are low, but you should try to bargain, since the prices depend on the accommodation-situation on the island and thus vary a lot.
All in all it's a cheap and recommendable place to stay, but don't expect too much comfort.
One last thing is left to say about the Cayes and Belize: I had a feeling of being ripped of everywhere I went where there were no fixed prices. Belize is more expensive than the countries around it, which may enhance this feeling, but If you don't feel comfortable bargaining, you shouldn't try to travel on a tight budget in Belize. It won't last.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The hotel was a little bit out of town (and away from the sea breeze), but you can walk everywhere on the island. We had a room which converted into a 3 bedroom flat. Bedrooms were average and the mattress was the foam kind (which was uncomfortable during the hot and humid nights). Be careful of Mosquitos on the Island they are the most aggressive I have encountered and will chase you up the street. Make sure the fly screen is not ripped, they will get you. Used toilet paper was not removed by the staff. I was there for Lobster Festival - fantastic days and nights. Very cheap lobster to be had. Overall the price was very cheap and to be fair our friends room was better. So check the rooms first. Positive note is the owners stays on the property and ensure security of the property.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We loved Lorraine's guest house! It's owned by Orlando who is absolutely wonderful. We are traveling on a budget and it doesn't get any better than this. For our first two nights on Caye Caulker we stayed in a gross hotel room on the waterfront and paid more than what we paid to stay at Lorraine's. You have your own private cabana and they all have screened in porches with hammocks which are great for enjoyed island life with some rum. There is no housekeeping here which we like because we would rather ask for what we need when we need rather than having some one intrude on our space. And all you need to do is ask, Orlando will be sure to get it for you. This isn't on the beach front but just a block or two away so it is easy walking or biking if you rent one. Its perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013