“most unreliable dive center I know of”

Big Fish Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Fish Dive Center, fully equipped to meet your most demanding diving needs is centrally located and just across from the Health Center. We have worked hard together making sure our customers are met with first hand services and ultimate safety. Our dive tours are conducted by trained and knowledgeable dive masters taking you to only the best dive sites amidst richness and splendor of exotic marine life and coral formations.
Ithaca, New York
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“most unreliable dive center I know of”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is the most unreliable dive center I now of and the first time in my life that I left a dive center without even diving once.
First the guy said he will take me and group out for a night dive the next evening and I agreed, since I thought it looks a bit crap here but fine a night dive is more or less save. He sounded kind of friendly and wrote down my name to keep me a "spot" for the next day. The next day I went in and another gay said we do not offer night dives today and his colleague from yesterday has not written down anything about me. Since there were a couple of people in the center, I said more then once loud but friendly that I would never dive here.

Auf deutsch:

Bitte nehmt nicht diese Tauchschule auf caulker, man sollte keinen schlechten Tauchgang oder schlimmeres Riskieren dafür. Die Insel bietet auch zumindest eine seriöse Tauchschulen an. Denn die Tauchspots sind einfach nur genial hier.

Visited January 2014

New Jersey
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Crap”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

These guys are unorganized. For a dive we got our wet suit and fins here, then went by boat across the split to get gas. Then to San Pedro to get the BCD and air. After this we went for the two dives. What was a 9-1p trip turned out to be 9-5p trip. The equipment is crap. 5 out of 6 people had to keep changing their regulators until they could find one that was not leaking. Then during the dive, one person after getting in the water found that the regulator was not working properly and their dive was done. Worse, two of us dived and found ourselves at the bottom with no dive master in sight. If you are going on deep dives or night dives, look elsewhere.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank TPatNJ
Muswellbrook, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I dived with these guys a few times while in Caye Caulker including the Great Blue Hole. Our dive master was very professional and I felt safe and well looked after throughout the whole experience. The dive gear was also in good condition. Big Fish seemed to be the most price competitive.

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fork out the extra cash for one of the more reputable places”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Saved usd 40 by diving with these guys to Esmerelda. on hind sight, not worth it. On the second dive the dive master couldn't find the planned dive site, so the dive we did wasn't the dive he out lined in the dive
plan. Also, worst of all one of the 5 divers ran out of air while down there and had to surface on his own. Him and his buddy tried to tell the dive master but he had no clue. When we finished the dive and told him one of the divers was already back on the boat, he was totally shocked, hadn't even noticed he'd lost a man.

We had seen the dive master the night before drinking and fighting at the split. The whole crew was hungover and unprofessional.

User then only if you really can't afford the alternative.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank LivingL0ndon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful dive at the Blue hole and in front of Caye Caulker”
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed on Caye Caulker for a week in February and the diving with big fish was the best on our trip. What made the difference was, that the crew was so nice and friendly. But of course I can just judge the Divemaster we dove with. Seeing other reviews gives the idea they may have some black Sheep. We couldn't see any. ^_^
Also we can tell, that the food served on the trip was VERY good, especially because they also served salad. The snacks between dives consisted of Pringels, fresh fruits and different cookies, what was really a lot by my judgement from other dive trips.
The equipment seemed VERY new, but we would have wished for a long wetsuit due to the verily cold weather that day. A sweatshirt would have probably done the trick too, but who brings that to the carabeen. :-P
The price of 200 Dollar is a lot, but they are still the cheapest. Especially San Pedro costs so much more and there doesn't seem to be a reason for that difference.
I can definitely recommend them!

1 Thank Fhartmann