“Ok accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Barefoot Caribe Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Ok accommodation”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Perfectly ok accommodation on the island. Big, spacious rooms and well maintained premises. Cockroach on my bed and a moist and mouldy smell in the room made sleeping a bit uneasy, however.
Location is great, and considering the busy street outside in the afternoon, it was very quiet and peaceful.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karoline B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Farmingdale, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This is a cozy hotel with a great location. It's located two blocks from the main beach area which is called the split. It's also located 10 minute walk from the water taxi. The receptionist was very nice. It's a bit pricy in general but most of the hotel prices were up for the holiday. Everyday our room was cleaned but new towels were not always given.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AllieRu
Brussels
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I was pleased to get a room at Barefoot Caribe about two weeks prior to my visit, as it was during Christmas vacation and most of the cheaper backpackers' places were already full. I took a fan room with a double bed, private gbathroom, and TV. It was in the rear of the building, with a courtyard view rather than a sea view. The room cost $30 U.S. (plus tax) regardless of whether I was alone or sharing the room. I know some of the more expensive rooms have air-conditioning and a refrigerator.

I found my room to be very spacious and comfortable, with a dresser with drawers, which was very convenient. There was also a low table, perfect for putting luggage on. The bathroom had a bath with shower and shower curtain. The drain was stopped up, but I didn't mention it to the maid until the day before I left. She said she would tell the reception to take care of it before the next guest checked in. There were towels and a little soap. The room was cleaned daily.

The main negative point was the very musty smell in the room every time I walked in. As I have allergies, this was uncomfortable for me. I left the window open all the time and even the door sometimes, plus the fan, to air it out, however the humid musty smell remained. There was more than the average amount of rain before and during my stay, so perhaps this had something to do with this smell. Unfortunately there was no breeze even though the room was on the top floor (room 6).

There was a shared balcony. It would be nice if there were some chairs on the balcony, though due to the excessive rain during my stay, I doubt that I would have needed them.

Across the street is a restaurant with a nice variety of food. The hotel promises that they give a 10% discount to hotel guests. They were not eager to do this the first time I ordered a meal, but did it more willingly for subsequent orders.

Fatima was kind enough to send someone to pick me up at the water taxi when I arrived from San Pedro and agreed to drop me off there when departing, as my luggage was heavy. I found her to be friendly and helpful. The family also have an adorable little Yorkshire terrier named Louie!

The hotel is situated only a few minutes walk from The Split, the best place for swimming. As it had too much of a "hang-out" atmosphere for my taste, plus lots of heavy drinking, I preferred to sit on the beach in the town center, but the sea grass you sink into and shallow water made it pretty difficult to swim there. It's a really small town, so nothing is far. There are restaurants, dive shops, snorkeling excursions, etc. all near the hotel.

All in all, an enjoyable stay at Barefoot Caribe.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Janet W
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

I was stuck in the room due to injury abmnd the tv and internet saved me from being bored.
Huge room, small tv, fan, and great hot water.
Our room was at the back so did not have a view of the ocean.
There are shops, restaurants and swimming close by.

• Stayed November 2013
Belize City, Belize, Belize
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is cheap compared to many others on the island so if you are tight for cash then this is the way to go. It is worth the cost but not much else.

Location.....The location is probably the best thing about this hotel b/c it is on the main and very close to the split (swimming area).

Room...the room was ok...nothing too fancy or cosy and it was pretty clear that they do not upkeep the place. It could have been much better with a lil TLC. There was TV but no cable and we were only informed of that AFTER we made payment for the room. Apparently they only turn on the cable when it's high season. There was a small A/C unit in the back of a closet area so it took long for the entire room to get cool and stay cool. The veranda and hammock was nice and I did appreciate the hot and cold shower.

The staff....I only saw 2 staff member...the gentleman behind the front desk (who was just cold and to the point) and a security guy who didn't speak to us at all.

Basically....if you just want somewhere to sleep and bathe without spending too much money then this would be a good choice. But if you want somewhere more comfortable and homey then look elsewhere.

I found the website to be misleading with the look of the place and the cost of the rooms also.

Room Tip: It would be best to get one of the beach front upper level rooms so as to enjoy the veranda and hamm...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Geanna C
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I had one of the large rooms on the top floor facing the beach. It was beautiful at night with the breeze coming through the balcony doors. No need for the aircon at night.
The bed was really good quality and massive, the room itself is really big.
The bathroom was ok but the shower wasn't great.
It was a little above my budget but I was waiting for a room to become available in the place next door which was a little cheaper and I didn't want to have to lug my bags around so I stayed here 2 nights and I had no problems at all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TalbsOnTheGoGoGO
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Just recently stayed at Barefoot Caribe Hotel.
We (2 Canadian girls, 2 German girls, and 3 German guys) arrived on the island about midday. As its technically the "low" season in Belize, we didn't think we'd have too much of an issue finding a place. After canvassing and checking out rooms for half an hour, we quickly realized that even if we split up it wasn't as easy as we were expecting.

We ventured down the beach north, trying all hostels (we're attempting to be on a budget) such as Yumas, Dirty Mcnasty's, etc. but no luck. Finally we started asking at hotels to see if we could negotiate group discounts. We were successful in a few places, but the best deal appeared to be barefoot. We checked out the room that was to be for us 2 Canadian girls and to our surprise, not only was there 2 double beds instead of one, there was also what I would call a world class air conditioner that put the aircon systems of the 5 star cancun resort we stayed in the week prior to shame. Upon realizing we could easily share the room with the German girls, we decided to combine together and share a room.

For just us 2 it would have been $70BZ for the 2 dbl beds + private bathroom, shower, balcony, and aircon. Oh - and there was free (good!) wifi.

With the 2 German girls, it was $20BZ extra per person so all 4 of us ended up being able to negotiate the room to $100BZ ($12.50usd each).

Fatima at the front desk was amazing, spoke English as first language, and therefore was able to provide advice on tours, eats, etc.

They provided us with clean sheets and towels each day, and the beach is across the street, so that was nice.

The hotel is also a 3 minute walk to the split for drinks and a beach, and 5 minutes to the boat docks, ATM, etc.

Overall, instead of staying only 1 night in Caye Caulker, we stayed 4. It's an amazing and friendly place that absolutely must not be missed!

• Stayed September 2013