“PAWS the place to be!”
Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed with Madi for almost five weeks volunteering February - March 2011. I made this a complete volunteering holiday and it gave me great respect for what Madi does, it is hard work. She Cares for all of the animals, and when i say that i do not just mean the ones that have the pleasure of living within the sanctuary i mean the whole island.

I worked first hand with all the animals and saw alot of things that when on, on the island and how Madi is trying to educate and help keep the animal population down.

She does so much work and does it all out of pocket. Staying with Madi and her wonderful family of animals is a great way to help a good cause and get to make some wonderful new friends.

The island is a very relaxing place to be. On top of Madi's boat was my favorite place to relax no matter if i was tanning during the day or watching the sun go down, or my personal favorite looking up and watching the stars at night. i have never seen so many shooting stars in my life.

If your an animal lover, and want to meet an amazing person and all of her amazing animals PAWS is the place to be!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Cora H

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed at PAWS last August with a good friend of mine, and the experience was amazing! The cabin we stayed in was far from luxurious, but that is how I like it, so it worked out perfectly!

Right when we arrived, we were greeted by Madi and four or five of the friendliest dogs I've ever met. In addition to hanging out and playing with them, there were so many friendly cats that this animal-lover was overwhelmed and had trouble leaving. Immediately upon arriving, we chatted with Madi for more than an hour while meeting all of the animals. We were hooked, and ended up staying for 2 days longer than we planned.

Caye Caulker is a small place and is constantly changing, but Madi's family has a history there, and it's great to help out an established family amid the currents of change that threaten to engulf this cheap little island. Please, please stay with her if you get the chance. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Stay in the cabin if you get a chance.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SteveTok
Reviewed 20 November 2011

As soon as I saw this place on Tripadvisor, I knew it was the place where I wanted to be. Madi is a fantastic, nice and fun person and as soon as I met her it was like meeting some old friend. She does whatever she can for all the pets and I was happy to destine my money to a good cause like hers. She also gives a lot of information and suggestion and is always there for you. She is a real inspiration and I hope that one day I can do something similar. I'll keep on supporting her any way I can. Loved all her furry pets! Thank you Madi, hope I can meet you soon again some days!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I loved my time I spent on Caye Caulker with Madi and her kitties. Nothing beats the price of the cabana and being surrounded by furry (and feathered) friends is the cherry on top of the cake. The property is right on the water and has a gorgeous view and makes for a nice, private place to relax during the day. Travelling alone, I felt very safe here and the property is completely fenced in. It's in a nice central location on Caye Caulker without being right on the busy main street. I would without a doubt return to volunteer or stay here again.

Room Tip: Cabana for the best value!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My travel partner and I stayed here to volunteer with Madi Collins, a lovely fiery friendly woman who has a passion for sterilizing the cats of caye caulker and providing many with a wonderful home until they can get adopted out. She has many choices of places to sleep on her property as well. We stayed in the cheetah painted cabinita equipped with a fan and beds and microwave. For our one week stay, the total cost was Very cheap. And in exchange, the money you pay to stay there is her way of getting food money for the cats. We helped her with daily feedings and had plenty of time off as well. She;s definitely worth getting to know or at least stop by and have a look around.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at P.A.W. in February and had an amazing time. We enjoyed our stay so much that we lengthened our vacation on Caye Caulker and skipped out on some other activities.

We did not actually engage in a volunteer vacation, instead we opted to just pay for lodging with all the proceeds very obviously going directly to help her animals. Madi is an amazing soul, giving absolutely everything she has to her 'accidental animal shelter'. She retired in Belize to help her aging parents and found that what she thought were individuals fishing off her dock were actually people dumping kittens into the ocean in plastic bags. She fished more than one plastic bag out of the ocean and before she knew it, she was running an animal sanctuary. In addition to providing basic medical care, food and shelter, she teaches kids about humane treatment of animals.

I've traveled many places in the world where the treatment of animals is inhumane and horrific by US standards and Central America is no different. During our visit, we actually saw signs alerting people that all stray dogs would be poisoned with cyanide over a two week period. As Caye Caulker is a very small island, Madi has a very realistic plan to curtail the animal population but she needs all of our help. She can use volunteers and supplies as well as people just looking for a great ocean front place to rent.

If you're the type to spend your vacation money making a difference, Madi is a gracious host and her property is clean and ocean front. What more could you want?

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mookab
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My daughter and I did some volunteer work at PAWS last winter and had a dream vacation at the same time. We stayed with Madi for peanuts, ate burritos with the locals and gladly spent a few hours a day helping with the animals. Our accomadations were modest but clean, bright and comfortable. We had our own private ocean front and view of the sunset. We loved getting to know Madi's family who gave us all the inside info we needed to travel to the sights, snorkel, where to eat and shop like the locals. I can't wait to take my husband next. I actually even got me fill of lobster for the first time as the prices were so good and Madi has connections. Great experience!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family