“The BEST place to stay on Caye Caulker!”
Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
Winnipeg, Canada
“The BEST place to stay on Caye Caulker!”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed with Madi at the P.A.W animal sanctuary for 2 weeks in April 2012. I volunteered with Madi, helping her take care of all the cats that she has rescued. This is an incredibly huge job, but equally as rewarding. Madi has dedicated her life to giving these animals a second chance, and it is truely inspiring. It is easy to see that Madi loves what she does, and cares deeply for each individual animal. Madi also has an incedible family - a wonderful mother who rakes the lawn every day with a huge smile on her face, and a cousin Alex (Sandy) who was more than happy to teach us about Belizean culture, and cut us fresh coconuts down from a tree on the property. The accomodations that Madi provides are clean and spacious. Even if you are not volunteering, this is a perfect place to stay. It is better than a hotel or hostel because you get a much more unique and genuine Belizean experience, and 100% of the money goes towards Madi's cause. The incredible sunsets from the dock don't hurt either. I would HIGHLY recommend this accomodation to ANY traveller.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
michigan
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at PAW with Madi for 3 weeks in Jan 2012. This was the third year that I have stayed with her. It is very clean and comfortable, and Madi always makes everyone feel welcome. She was born on the island, so she's also a great source of information. Every year I meet new interesting people also staying there, that I can keep in touch with, ... some are also repeat visitors. I enjoy helping her around the Cat Sanctuary; but that is not mandatory. You can simply enjoy Caye Caulker and her place right which is right on the water, with your own dock. She is on the back side of the island, so it is away from any noise or distractions; but just a few minutes walk to the 'action', if that is what you are looking for. It makes me feel good to know that the money that she makes from her rentals all goes to the feeding and carrying for all the animals that she has rescued from a miserable life on the streets, or worse. I highly recommend experiencing this unique 'vacation destination'. If you are not able to visit, you can still help out with donations; check out her web page to learn more: www.pawanimalsanctuarybelize.com

Room Tip: She has 2 apartment-style rooms, one on the water. Also available is a cabana and camping for thos...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank donnap27
Toronto
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I stayed with Madi over the easter weekend, and we had a fantastic time. The room itself was lovely - spacious, clean and had all the amenities you need for a very reasonable price. And the best thing is that Madi uses the room rental fees to support the many beautiful cats she has rescued. You really can't find a better deal on the island! Madi is a wonderful woman who does such important work on the island.

If you stay with Madi (or even if you plan to stay elsewhere), any donations you can bring with you for the shelter would be much appreciated. Whether it's cat or dog treats, flea treatments, or dishes for the animals, every bit helps. Check out Madi's website to see which items the shelter is currently in need of. http://www.pawanimalsanctuarybelize.com/index.php

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahAndre
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I came here for a week to stay in the panther bungalow and it was amazing! I volunteered with the kitties. The woman, Madi, who owns the sanctuary is amazing. SHe dedicates her whole life to saving animals and to making sure whoever stays with her feels like a part of the family and has a good time! I was surprised at how cheap it was considering how amazing all of the amenities were. I really lucked out. And the backyard is the beach! Really a paradise :) I am really hoping to go back soon. Time of my life.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Portland
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I did not stay at this accomodation, but visited because of the owner's mission to provide a sanctuary for the "without a home" cats of Caye Caulker. Madi is a lovely woman with a heart filled with compassion. The day I visited, her mom was meticulously sweeping the grounds and Madi was busy feeding her 80 cats...yes, 80! The accomodation is right on the water of the western side of the island and must afford great sunsets.

If you have a place in your heart that cares for kitties, consider staying here or at least visiting. Madi and the "boys and girls" will always appreciate a donation of wet cat food which you can buy on the island at the Payless store on Front Street, under $1 US per can.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We booked to stay at PAUSE for only 3nights, but fell in love with the room, the location, and the work Madi does, so ended up staying for 10days! PAUSE is located ocean front on near Back Street, with its own dock, deck chairs, and shady coconut trees.
The rooms are BIG- we stayed in the Garden Suite, but got to see the Ocean front room and cabana, both of which were lovely. All rooms were clean and well equipped (ours had a fridge, private bathroom, fan, small kitchen for cooking with use of plates and cutlery, a small dining table, a lounge chair and a coffee table, and a large comfortable bed).
There is also the option to spend time getting to know the owner, and learn about the amazing and inspiring work she does for animal welfare in Belize and Mexico.
Overall an amazing place and we really hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JemBen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

As veterinary students in the UK, my friend and I were looking for an exotic location to finally see the sun, get out of the damp and cold, and do some volunteer work with animals at the same time. We happened upon the P.A.W. Cat Sanctuary on the web and were delighted to find the location and accommodations exactly what we wanted. Madi, the owner, spent time with us on the phone, prior to our visit, helping us select the most appropriate and reasonably priced room arrangements. We selected the cabana for a few nights and the garden suite for the remainder of our two week stay; both clean, spacious, and excellent quality for the money. We absolutely fell in love with the Sanctuary, enjoying the well cared for cats and dogs on the site with a few exotics thrown in for good measure. The island was enchanting and our experience rewarding and memorable. So much so that I returned to the island on several more occasions to assist Matie with her amazing and self-less mission. Madi is truly a delight as is this island treasure. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Pedro's Hotel
Pedro's Hotel
#30 of 53 in San Pedro
Sandbar Beachfront Hostel & Restaurant

Been to PAUSE Hostel? Share your experiences!