“Fantastic find here and you can volunteer if you want to. Very unique experience here at the cat sanctuary where you can join in”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

What a find pay a bit less and help out around the place the owner needs all the help and ideas she can get. You can sit here and your a few metres from the ocean in a quieter part of island. It's just a few minuets walk from every thing you need and want. Free wifi some rooms have cooking facilities so realty helps if your on a budget with fridge too. Also there's the out house can sleep up to three lay there listening to the sea lap and watch the heroins and pelicans perch next to you and of course stroke the odd cat or two who run up and down the palm trees. This truly is a special place on a paradise island no cars bike hier or golf cart taxis everyone is very friendly and says hi to you. This is also the safest place I have ever been too. Women on her own absolutely no hassle from anyone. 40 minuet boat ride from Belize city. Don't think there is another place like it and I have been to the Maldives three times and this is much better with so much to do. Snorkel with nursing sharks they do not hurt you or with manatees and rays. Go to the split and have a gentle swim snorkel listening to reggae. Day trips to absolute paradise islands. Use Sunarmi dive place they don't touch anything in the sea or guy called chocolate he started the sanctuary not touch manatees. Find them on sea front. Ask me anything to see if I know.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank andreaming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have known Madi Collins for many years now, and I can honestly say that she will supply you with a wonderful and really FUN tropical vacation experience, all on a classically "Caribbean" island off the coast of Belize. The fact that her place is also a genuine, licensed "Animal Sanctuary" only adds to the great appeal of her place!!! If you want to "get away from it all", and live like a real "local" down there "where the gentle tropical breezes blow", you will love a week or two at Madi's place. And not only is her place great, but I can very honestly say you will enjoy your host just as much as the location and accomidations. If you want to live as a true "Belizean", and if you love animals, you will feel right at home at "Pause." I really don't think you will find a better place to stay in Belize. I fully recommend a stay at "Pause." Jim W. from Buffalo, New York.

Room Tip: They are all good. If you are a "northerner" like me, you just have to get used to the war...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jim W
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed at the Pause accommodations on a volunteer vacation for the full month of June, but it felt like home after only a couple of days! A friend and I spent the month helping Madi at the P.A.W Animal Sanctuary in the mornings and evenings, and exploring the island in the afternoons. Pause is tucked away on the back side of the island, so it was close enough to all of the necessities, like grocery stores, but was secluded enough to be a nice, relaxing place to come back to after a hot day at the beach.

Madi welcomes her guests with open arms and is truly one of the friendliest, kindest people I have ever met. Getting to know her was such a treat, and knowing that we were helping her out was even better! I highly recommend participating in a volunteer vacation and working with the animals; the work is fun and rewarding, and I can't think of a person who deserves the help more than Madi. If volunteering is not in your picture, you can still help out the cause simply by staying at Pause: 100% of the reservations fees go straight to helping the animals at the P.A.W Animal Sanctuary. And I really mean 100%. While I was working, I would take rental fees from visitors and go straight to the grocery store to buy cat food... If that's not seeing your money in action, I don't know what it! Once you've met Madi and the animals at the shelter, and seen how you've helped them, you will be glad that you stayed at Pause.

P.S: If you meet one-eyed Pebbles (which I'm sure you will; she's very friendly), give her extra pets from me.

Room Tip: If you are staying the cabana during the rainy season, make sure to bring lots of bug spray! Because...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Molly S
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Madi has opened her house up to those traveling to Caye Caulker to help with the cost of caring for the abandoned and abused cats and dogs she has taken in over the past 9 years. My friend and I shared the cabana on her property with two volunteers who were spending the month of June helping Madi to care for all the animals- which is an enormous undertaking. Spending time with Madi and her animals proved to be one of the best parts of my trip to Belize. It's not a five star hotel, but you get the basic amenities and plenty of peace and quiet. Pause is a great place to spend a relaxing vacation, especially if you are an animal lover. Madi is such a warm and caring person; I felt like I was spending the week with an aunt and not renting a room from a stranger. She is a good source of information, and a pleasure to talk to. Not only did I have a good stay, but it was nice to know that the money I paid for the room was going towards feeding all those sweet animals! I definitely want to return to Caye Caulker, if only to visit Madi and her cats!

Room Tip: There are two private apartments for rent, in addition to a cabana that sleeps up to four people.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

If you are looking for "off the Beaten Track" this is the place to stay. No resort like accomodations, but the basics. Quiet, relaxed,and clean, within walking distance from everything. You do have WiFi, no TV. But if you like reading, quiet, no hassles this is the place for you. I stayed in the guest house, had large studio with kitchenette, micro wave, private bath and shower, kitchen table and chairs and hot plate. Enough for myself or a couple. I got extra food from the grocery store or street vendor food (Rice and Beans, chicken stew, tacos) and was able to keep it in the fridge and microwave as needed. The cats and dogs are no problem as they are well taken care of and are not roaming all over the property. I am a single women traveling alone and went to Caye Caulker for scuba diving. The Belize Diving Center is right next door and is the best dive operator on the island. So, for me all very very convenient and cost effective! If I go back to Caye Caulker will not hesitate to stay at PAWS again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed with Madi at the P.A.W animal sanctuary for 2 weeks in April 2012. I volunteered with Madi, helping her take care of all the cats that she has rescued. This is an incredibly huge job, but equally as rewarding. Madi has dedicated her life to giving these animals a second chance, and it is truely inspiring. It is easy to see that Madi loves what she does, and cares deeply for each individual animal. Madi also has an incedible family - a wonderful mother who rakes the lawn every day with a huge smile on her face, and a cousin Alex (Sandy) who was more than happy to teach us about Belizean culture, and cut us fresh coconuts down from a tree on the property. The accomodations that Madi provides are clean and spacious. Even if you are not volunteering, this is a perfect place to stay. It is better than a hotel or hostel because you get a much more unique and genuine Belizean experience, and 100% of the money goes towards Madi's cause. The incredible sunsets from the dock don't hurt either. I would HIGHLY recommend this accomodation to ANY traveller.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at PAW with Madi for 3 weeks in Jan 2012. This was the third year that I have stayed with her. It is very clean and comfortable, and Madi always makes everyone feel welcome. She was born on the island, so she's also a great source of information. Every year I meet new interesting people also staying there, that I can keep in touch with, ... some are also repeat visitors. I enjoy helping her around the Cat Sanctuary; but that is not mandatory. You can simply enjoy Caye Caulker and her place right which is right on the water, with your own dock. She is on the back side of the island, so it is away from any noise or distractions; but just a few minutes walk to the 'action', if that is what you are looking for. It makes me feel good to know that the money that she makes from her rentals all goes to the feeding and carrying for all the animals that she has rescued from a miserable life on the streets, or worse. I highly recommend experiencing this unique 'vacation destination'. If you are not able to visit, you can still help out with donations; check out her web page to learn more: www.pawanimalsanctuarybelize.com

Room Tip: She has 2 apartment-style rooms, one on the water. Also available is a cabana and camping for thos...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo