“Loved the people and the cats!”
Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
Picton, Canada
“Loved the people and the cats!”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It always feels good when you have fun while helping those in need. Madi's Pause Accommodation provides all this and more. She arranged for a taxi to pick us up in Belize City and the driver even helped us get the right tickets for our boat trip to Caye Cauylker. Once there Madi arranged for a golf cart taxi to meet us and take us to her cattery where we were welcomed into her family with open arms.

The room was comfortable, but we spoiled Canadians missed having hot running water in the shower. We did use air conditioning but if it had not been so exceptionally hot (over 120F with the humidex) fans would have been enough.

Then there were the animals. Madi has four pet dogs and cares for around 80 abandoned cats. Some are quite shy, but several are real pets. We fell in love with Raisin, Joy and Hiccup!

If you want to help a good cause while having a great Caribbean vacation, give Pause a try. You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: There are three rooms to choose from. The basic is a cabana. The best room has an A/C unit and kitch...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joanne F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Situated right near the water in a quiet part of Caye Caulker, PAWS is unlike any normal hotel or hostel - it's an experience not just a place to stay. The owner Madi, welcomed me as if she already knew me and was extremely accommodating. The place is well located - about a minute walk to the fresh fruit stall and about 2 minutes to everything else on the island.

At PAWS there are of course many cats and I helped out with the feeding twice a day. They are mostly very friendly and probably overjoyed to have a place in Madi's luxury cattery where they are fed, watered and let out daily.

I recommend this place to all and it's especially reassuring to know your money is going directly to fund cat food for cats that would otherwise be homeless, diseased or killed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ricky186273
Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I actually thought alot about whether I should write this review or not, because far be it from me to hurt someone's income. But people need to know facts before choosing this one, and I need to share my (our) experience in Pause.
When we booked pause for three nights we were actually quite stressed, because we couldn't find an available accommodation online in Caye Caulker. Seeing that Pause receive some good reviews, and checking briefly the details, we decided to book online. The price wasn't cheap, but seeing as it's Belize, we were led to believe nowhere is.
Arriving on the island we found out right away that we made a mistake rushing into booking the room, as we were greeted with several options on the spot for half the price, and as it turned out - alot more amenities.

The place is not far from the main dock, though most of the places on the island aren't. It's about 7 minute walk from the ferry.
Upon arrival to the house, (and realizing it's 'Pause' - because there is no discernible sign saying it is) we met with Alex, the owner's cousin. Alex told us his cousin had to go away for a week, and he was charged with taking care of us.
We were shown the room and the area around the house - the dock, the cat sanctuary on the second floor (we were told they had about 80 cats there), and we also met a dude who was volunteering there.
The room itself was one space, divided to a kitchen area, a "living room", and a bed.
The kitchen area had a refrigerator, a sink and a stock of kitchen utensils (though we never used them). Other than that there was sofa and a dining room table with chairs, and the bed had a sort of a mosquito net, though it was only a flat net and did not cover the whole bed.
There were also two fans (one on a stand and the other a ceiling fan) and a portable air condition unit, though Alex (the cousin) didn't know how to operate it, and I didn't want to mess with it.

As a first impression we didn't put much stock in what was in the room, as long as we had a place to put our things and somewhere to sleep.
But our stay as I mentioned was three days, and we quickly became aware of the many problems with the room.
First and foremost - The bathroom area is only separated from the main room by a piece of cloth that hangs on a makeshift hanger, and no window. I don't want to elaborate on this, but I hope I got my point across.
The bed was not comfortable, the heat during the day and night was awful - mainly because of the fact that the whole room had only one window and one door with a screen door. No air would flow from the outside, and the fans being on full capacity did not help.
The shower had only ice cold water, the trash wasn't cleaned during our whole stay, the privacy was practically nonexistant since we had to leave the door open for some air to get in, and also the semblence of security for our things was only on the surface as the lock to the room would only turn a quarter turn.
Not finished yet.
I've mentioned meeting a British volunteer over there. The dude seemed rather miserable, as apparently the yard had lots and lots of what the owner called 'sand flies', but to me seemed like fleas (cat sanctuary and all). We were bitten by those 'Sand Flies' on more than one occasion, but the dude had it the roughest as his feet looked like he put them inside beehives.

This definitely was the lowest rated place we stayed at during our trip through Central America, and I might have been less harsh with my review had the price for our stay not been DOUBLE what we could have paid for a room on the beach with breakfast, WiFi and hot water.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dominuss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

What a find pay a bit less and help out around the place the owner needs all the help and ideas she can get. You can sit here and your a few metres from the ocean in a quieter part of island. It's just a few minuets walk from every thing you need and want. Free wifi some rooms have cooking facilities so realty helps if your on a budget with fridge too. Also there's the out house can sleep up to three lay there listening to the sea lap and watch the heroins and pelicans perch next to you and of course stroke the odd cat or two who run up and down the palm trees. This truly is a special place on a paradise island no cars bike hier or golf cart taxis everyone is very friendly and says hi to you. This is also the safest place I have ever been too. Women on her own absolutely no hassle from anyone. 40 minuet boat ride from Belize city. Don't think there is another place like it and I have been to the Maldives three times and this is much better with so much to do. Snorkel with nursing sharks they do not hurt you or with manatees and rays. Go to the split and have a gentle swim snorkel listening to reggae. Day trips to absolute paradise islands. Use Sunarmi dive place they don't touch anything in the sea or guy called chocolate he started the sanctuary not touch manatees. Find them on sea front. Ask me anything to see if I know.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank andreaming
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have known Madi Collins for many years now, and I can honestly say that she will supply you with a wonderful and really FUN tropical vacation experience, all on a classically "Caribbean" island off the coast of Belize. The fact that her place is also a genuine, licensed "Animal Sanctuary" only adds to the great appeal of her place!!! If you want to "get away from it all", and live like a real "local" down there "where the gentle tropical breezes blow", you will love a week or two at Madi's place. And not only is her place great, but I can very honestly say you will enjoy your host just as much as the location and accomidations. If you want to live as a true "Belizean", and if you love animals, you will feel right at home at "Pause." I really don't think you will find a better place to stay in Belize. I fully recommend a stay at "Pause." Jim W. from Buffalo, New York.

Room Tip: They are all good. If you are a "northerner" like me, you just have to get used to the war...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jim W
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed at the Pause accommodations on a volunteer vacation for the full month of June, but it felt like home after only a couple of days! A friend and I spent the month helping Madi at the P.A.W Animal Sanctuary in the mornings and evenings, and exploring the island in the afternoons. Pause is tucked away on the back side of the island, so it was close enough to all of the necessities, like grocery stores, but was secluded enough to be a nice, relaxing place to come back to after a hot day at the beach.

Madi welcomes her guests with open arms and is truly one of the friendliest, kindest people I have ever met. Getting to know her was such a treat, and knowing that we were helping her out was even better! I highly recommend participating in a volunteer vacation and working with the animals; the work is fun and rewarding, and I can't think of a person who deserves the help more than Madi. If volunteering is not in your picture, you can still help out the cause simply by staying at Pause: 100% of the reservations fees go straight to helping the animals at the P.A.W Animal Sanctuary. And I really mean 100%. While I was working, I would take rental fees from visitors and go straight to the grocery store to buy cat food... If that's not seeing your money in action, I don't know what it! Once you've met Madi and the animals at the shelter, and seen how you've helped them, you will be glad that you stayed at Pause.

P.S: If you meet one-eyed Pebbles (which I'm sure you will; she's very friendly), give her extra pets from me.

Room Tip: If you are staying the cabana during the rainy season, make sure to bring lots of bug spray! Because...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Molly S
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Madi has opened her house up to those traveling to Caye Caulker to help with the cost of caring for the abandoned and abused cats and dogs she has taken in over the past 9 years. My friend and I shared the cabana on her property with two volunteers who were spending the month of June helping Madi to care for all the animals- which is an enormous undertaking. Spending time with Madi and her animals proved to be one of the best parts of my trip to Belize. It's not a five star hotel, but you get the basic amenities and plenty of peace and quiet. Pause is a great place to spend a relaxing vacation, especially if you are an animal lover. Madi is such a warm and caring person; I felt like I was spending the week with an aunt and not renting a room from a stranger. She is a good source of information, and a pleasure to talk to. Not only did I have a good stay, but it was nice to know that the money I paid for the room was going towards feeding all those sweet animals! I definitely want to return to Caye Caulker, if only to visit Madi and her cats!

Room Tip: There are two private apartments for rent, in addition to a cabana that sleeps up to four people.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends