“Authentic, real, lovely!”
Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
Malmo, Sweden
“Authentic, real, lovely!”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Staying at Pause is a real pause from the ordinary tourist track. With your own private deck, a boat roof to enjoy the sunset from, and a clean, fully equipped studio flat to call your home in Caye Caulker - what more could you ask for?
Friendly helpful hostess? - Check!
Free coconuts? - Check!
Best sunset spot on the island? - Check check!

Staying with Madi was great - the place is very clean, she herself is very informative and helpful, and being on the west side, you get the sunset, unlike many other places that are on the 'main street'. Caye Caulker is so small, being "on the other side" is literally 2 short blocks away - another bonus is that it's on the leeward side so the nightly 'storms' don't bother you at all. The beachfront flat is also air-conditioned, so very comfortable.

There are plenty of pets here, it is a cat sanctuary, after all. Madi offers this accommodation to pay for cat food, but despite having 85 of them, she's certainly not your ordinary Crazy Cat Lady ;-) Very welcoming, very helpful and kind.
The dogs were absolutely lovely too!

I loved staying at Pause, it felt closer to 'real' Belizean life than I think most other places ever will.
You might want to bring earplugs, in case there's a sad cat around, otherwise you're definitely in your own private bit of Caye Caulker bliss at Pause.
Loved it here!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Anywhere you stay on Caye Caulker you have proximity to the beach and nightlife, but I think no other accomodation can you get such a personal and genuine experience!

Madi was the sweetest host ever, happy to tell us about the island, the people and give us other relevant information that we needed.
We were pleasantly surprised to see there were only three rooms to rent, (in our opinion, the fewer people the better) and we were alone for the first two nights, having a cosy veranda with seaview and the jetty all to ourselves.
We spent every evening watching the sunset from the roof of a boat tied to the jetty, and I wish I was still there doing it!

Room Tip: Go for the three bed apartment if you want your own balcony with seaview, but be aware you're sh...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Addison, Illinois
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed in the garden room for a week while also volunteering with the cats. Overall, my experience was amazing and something I will never forget. It was such a wonderful experience to know that I was helping out Madi and the cats while also having a vacation in paradise. PAUSE is certainly not luxury accommodations, but it is a great value for the money. And with all of the activities in Caye Caulker and surrounding areas, you're not going to be in the room much anyways. Madi is also a good source of advice/help on where to go and what to do. She helped me and another traveller set up a trip to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins that was cheaper than what the travel shops on the island offered. As a solo traveller, it was great to meet and get to know the other travellers staying at PAUSE, who came from all over the world. This was an experience I never would have gotten in a hotel that probably would have cost much more.

Room Tip: Bring lots of bug spray as the sand flies can be bad. You will also want to bring/buy an extra towel...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed 2 December 2012

A Caye Caulker golf-cart taxi driver did not recognize the name Hotel Pause, but he was familiar with the place: ”Oh, you mean the cathouse.”

Cats dominate the image of Madi Collin's small hotel and they dominate her life but you don't have to pay attention to cats if you don't want to. All the 87 resident cats look sleek and beautiful and some like to make friend with you but Madi runs the whole operation so that place so that you can ignore the cat and her four dogs.

Originally we reserved a housekeeping room in Hotel Pause for three days. We liked it so well that we extended our stays three more days. We had been traveling a lot in last few months and having our own working kitchen suited us well. So did the peaceful location with its own dock away from commercial hubbub.

Everything was clean and in working order. After traveling in China, we found this very pleasant. The lack of hot water was no problem since weather was quite warm in November. Keeping our drinks cool in the refrigerator seemed like a real bonus.

Madi's place has personality and character. We'll remember this place long after ”regular” hotel and hostel rooms have disappeared from memory.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PoroOona
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I didn't know what to expect when I walked over to P.A.W. Cat Sanctuary, but I can tell you my stay here has been wonderful. I'm steps away from the ocean and a dock where I have done most of my writing on this trip. As for the lodging, I stayed in the cabana, which I had to myself for three nights out of the 10 days I stayed there.There are three beds inside, and it comes with a microwave, coffee maker and wi-fi.

I didn't notice the cats until my second or third day of my stay, but I actually enjoyed them. The ones that are social come up to cuddle and let you pet them. Madie also has a dog named Twinkie who's a big sweetheart and loves attention.

The only downside to my stay was a stray cat that was trying to get a mouse. It would always jump on the roof in the middle of the night and wake everyone in the cabana. However, that's OK to me because I know I'm supporting a great cause.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LifeofaBackpacker
Tustin, California
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We had the amazing opportunity to stay with Madi during our stay on Caye Caulker. First of all- Madi is one of the kindest people you will ever meet. She will go out of her way to ensure that you are comfortable and help with any questions you have during your trip. Let's be clear- because some people didn't bother to do their research- this is a cat rescue center. You MUST love animals to stay here. Every cent you spend here goes towards Madi's efforts to rescue these beautiful animals from their extremely unfortunate circumstances. Belizean people are wonderful but generally do not care for cats and do horrific things in the name of "animal control". Madi is doing her part to rescue and educate people. No, this is not a hotel. That fact alone makes it a very cozy/home-like experience (you really feel like you're living in a beach-front cottage on the island!). The bathrooms and such are what you would expect of a beach cottage in Belize- not sure why anyone would expect differently. Further, once you see how hard Madi and her volunteers work to maintain the property, feed and care for the cats etc., you will NOT be complaining about the trash not being removed in a timely manner. You will want to take the trash out yourself and help in any other possible way that you can. That's what we did- and never did Madi make us feel like we were expected to do so. On the contrary, Madi was extremely appreciative of any help we provided and our decision to stay at her place. If you are looking for a great place to stay where your money will go towards an incredible cause, then you have found it. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Atissa R
Picton, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It always feels good when you have fun while helping those in need. Madi's Pause Accommodation provides all this and more. She arranged for a taxi to pick us up in Belize City and the driver even helped us get the right tickets for our boat trip to Caye Cauylker. Once there Madi arranged for a golf cart taxi to meet us and take us to her cattery where we were welcomed into her family with open arms.

The room was comfortable, but we spoiled Canadians missed having hot running water in the shower. We did use air conditioning but if it had not been so exceptionally hot (over 120F with the humidex) fans would have been enough.

Then there were the animals. Madi has four pet dogs and cares for around 80 abandoned cats. Some are quite shy, but several are real pets. We fell in love with Raisin, Joy and Hiccup!

If you want to help a good cause while having a great Caribbean vacation, give Pause a try. You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: There are three rooms to choose from. The basic is a cabana. The best room has an A/C unit and kitch...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple