“The best place for travellers on Cay Caulker, who loves animals!!”
Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Place is really adorable. The honeymoon suite ist just awseome and the dorm is really comfi! The Lady who is working there ist a heroine in my eyes. The place ist great. Madi is such a great person. When you hear her story and the reason why she funded a cat sanctuary, you get really emotional, because of her strongness and the good she is giving to inncoent living beeings.

I enjoyed my stay there so much and i would like to help her and the animals any way! The room we stayed was great an clean.

I recommend to stay at this place to everyone, who likes animals and the beautiful view on the sea, while relaxing in the sun on her new dock, with peaches - the most cute dog ever- sitting next to you!! Thnak you Madi!! Lots of kisses

Room Tip: The room for the couples is closer to the bath :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

If you love animals and want your tourist dollars to go towards something worthwhile, stay here! Madi is an incredible woman with an enormous heart and seemingly boundless love and patience. The money you pay to stay at Pause goes directly to helping care for the 90 cats and 4 dogs who reside there. Unfortunately the culture of pet adoption is not common in Belize, so a lot of the animals will live our their days with Madi, and by staying or volunteering at Pause you can help them immensely. We stayed in the garden room and it was perfect. A little hot at times, but sleeping was no issue as there are 2x pedestal fans to use. I felt so at home at Pause that I was genuinely upset that my time there had to come to an end. Thank you Madi for all that you do, and for being such a kind and friendly host. Hopefully we'll be back one day!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Haaames
Reviewed 26 August 2013

First off Madi, the owner, is a super hero sort of person! She runs a cat sanctuary while maintaining a mix different level accommodation, from hostel to apt style. I stayed in the garden apt at 40$ a night, and it was amazing. I am a science researcher and pull long hot days in the sun. When I came home, I was looking for peace, a hospitable vibe, and was delivered this PLUS a gorgeous private back side of the island beach and dock to watch majestic sunsets at! Caye Caulker is tiny, so there is no problem getting around, front street (a couple blocks away) is where the hustle bustle is, but Pause is located on the back side, tucked behind a tropical wall of foliage. Cats and dogs everywhere to greet you, and security is no issue, you are safe here. Also, the middle street of the island may be where some if the best eating, coffee and markets are, which is only 1 block away. My apartment, was perfect, kitchen, full bath (shower no tub), bed area, and sitting area! I could cook breakfast each morning before heading out, and I could work from a comfy cushy lounger. The bed was very comfy too! This is not a luxury trip stay, it's an adventurers haven, and meant for relaxed vibes and kind minded folks! My friend came out and spent a couple nights in the hostel room, his bed at 10$ a night was perfect. We seriously could not believe where we were. This place is actually so wonderful, I venture to bring my husband (a luxury traveler) back next summer. Also a good sign, I met other return lodgers who actually come back regularly to Madi's home away from home.

Room Tip: No pool, no fitness center. The Caribbean Sea is all around you!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank paulitab
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Face it--not everyone is even going to consider staying at a cat rescue/refuge. That being said, if you move past that description (and are not determined to stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel with AC and cable) then you'll come away from Pause with great memories and a sense of purpose. Madi creates a place that's welcoming, comfortable and relaxing. The cabana we stayed in was spacious and while it could be a little stuffy during the day (for lack of breeze) the seaside/dockside location of her place gave us swimming spot right there. The animals on site were well-tended and a fun component to our stay. Pause isn't easy to find (find it on Google Earth ahead of time so you can see it before you go), but because it's off the beaten path (yet not at all far from the main part of town) it's a quiet and relaxing refuge. Madi is an awesome hostess, helpful and friendly. It was second time on Caye Caulker; if/when I return I'll definitely stay at Pause again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this Hostel, on the dormitory with microwave, I can tell Madi does a lot for travelers! the place has its own dock where you can relax on the sunsets! as mentioned before it's a cat sanctuary so there will be a few running around and playing with the objects! Madi also accepted paypal as a paying method which helped me on my budget as I had money on such account, there are often volunteers around or Madi's friends! I liked my stay, Caye caulker was great!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Madi is terrific, sincere, and hard working. The property is beautiful, relaxing, The rooms are comfortable and affordable. Bring mosquito spray. If you love animals and want to help homeless kitties, help Madi tackle the very difficult challenge of caring for the island's cats and dogs! Heads up: Madi doesn't have any signs for Pause so when you think you've found it you are probably right. The island is tiny, so it is not difficult to find.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amy T
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Madi and the Paw Animal Sanctuary are a wonderful organization, and the atmosphere around her guest rooms is relaxing, enjoyable,affordable and a great place to get away from the business of Front street, but still so close to all of the action and fun sights around Caye Caulker. We were able to stay in 3 of the guest rooms and found all of them to be clean, well kept, and a cool get away from the hot Belize air and quiet. They were a great option for us to go and spend time in the afternoons. Madi is an incredible woman, and we feel very blessed to have gotten the chance to stay with her. She also has an opportunity for people to help her and volunteer, which I highly recommend doing.
Thank you so much Madi!

Room Tip: It depends on what you want. There are two rooms with kitchenettes, which we really like. So if you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple