“Best hostel on the island”
Review of PAUSE Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
PAUSE Hostel
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Best hostel on the island”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at Bella's backpacker's our first night on the island. yikes! terrible! Pause was much better. Pause is quieter and less crowded. All of the guests were helpful and welcoming. A real sense of family here. Madi, the owner is a sweetheart. It is the most affordable place on the island. My girlfriend and I are allergic to cats but this was never an issue as the cats are kept on the other side of the property and in a cattery. You are walking distance to everything the island has to offer as well as a short walk from the water taxi's. As of now, January 2014, Madi is renovating the common area and make a few upgrades so we couldn't use the kitchen but that will soon change. Pause also has wifi and kayaks on site! Don't miss the sunsets on the two level dock.

Room Tip: If you need a kitchen you may need to rent a private room... at least until the renovations are comp...
Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I spent four nights in this hostel during New Years. Madi was an excellent host and an even better nurturer. The site is filled with loving animals, dogs and cats alike. I will definitely be back to visit and stay. During my trip, I was lucky enough to take one of the kitties home with me and now we are snuggled up back in the United States. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone who loves animals. Our group spent time playing on the private beach with all of the fury creatures. Madi works really hard to keep this space clean and sustainable. If you are an animal lover, stay here and support animals that have been abandoned, abused, or rescued.

Room Tip: We shared the big room, which had a double bed and brought in a cot. It was large enough for 3-5 peo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
california
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at Pause just a few weeks ago and loved the experience. I volunteered to help with the cats that Madi so gracefully cares for...and felt right at home. There is a sense of community with other volunteers..everyone got alone and was eager to help with anything that needed to be done.
The rooms are basic.. the whole propperty is secluded and you don't feel or hear anything while you are there...the deck is priceless, I make a point to watch the sunset everyday cause it was never the same!!
If you want to enjoy the beautiful caribbean and want to help a good cost..stay there. You will be helping the kittie cats nobody cares for in that island but Madi...
I will for sure be volunteering again there...no other place will do it for me at Caye Caulker...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My second time to Belize/Caye Caulker, I decided to do a short volunteer vacation at Pause. Being an animal/cat lover it was an excellent choice.

I stayed in the Garden Suite, which was roomy, very clean and comfortable, and the free Wi-Fi was an added bonus. The accommodations are basic & very affordable for a short term or long term stay. If you want to use your dollars to support a wonderful legitimate cause on Cay Caulker, you can’t go wrong.

It is a safe place if you are traveling alone & close to everything including banks, grocery, and restaurants. You wont have any trouble getting around on the island. I also liked the fact that it was quiet & relaxing, with it’s own dock overlooking the water. There are also kayaks you can use right on the property with lots of fish, stingrays & birds to be seen on that side of the island.

Madi is a very knowledgeable, helpful hostess & she is 100% dedicated to helping the cats at the sanctuary. The work that Madi does has a positive impact & all her cats are spayed/neutered & well loved.

During my time I assisted Madi with feedings, cleaning, changing litter & socializing cats. My one regret is not having enough time, so if you are in a position to stay longer know that your time is greatly needed & appreciated.

You can volunteer with the cats or help out with repairs to the facility or building enclosures & enrichment for cats. You can also sponsor a cat (to help pay for pet food, litter); purchase hard to get items from her Amazon wish list or be a flight parent. Of course if you fall in love with one of the cats adoption is possible!

Overall it is a great way to spend your time on the island whether you volunteer or stay for a few nights. It is my only choice for staying on Cay Caulker & I hope to go back again one day to help out!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank T-Leo2010
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at Pause for 6 weeks over October and November and found Pause to be very relaxing and laid back. I've also read the review entitled 'Beware' and clearly the author has an issue not with the accommodation but with being charged for the no notice cancellation.

The description on the website and Tripadvisor is pretty clear and Pause does not purport to be anything it isn't it is a basic hostel and even describes itself as 'rustic'. The cancellation policy is in the details which make it clear about short notice cancellations.

Whilst I was there Madi had a number of people walk in off the street wanting to stay and if the rooms were booked she obviously suggested other hostels. If the people who booked failed to turn up or cancelled (especially after booking for 5 nights) then she has lost the income which she depends on to feed the cats.

This isn't a commercial enterprise out to make a profit this is a cat sanctuary first and foremost.

It is basic but Madi has a number of volunteers in the pipeline who are helping her improve the facilities not only for the cats but the backpackers. There is nowhere on Caye Caulker with such a relaxing and laid back atmosphere. There is the dock and jetty with fabulous sunsets, a small beach and canoes to borrow. You can even snorkel of the dock and see seahorses and numerous fish on the man made small reef of conch shells. The high-point of the evening was watching the stingrays swim around the dock.

It was safe and private yet only a few minutes walk from the main street, bank and ferry.

If you read the description and even contact Madi before hand with any questions you won't be disappointed . Don't let one bad review put you off (especially from someone that never even stayed there)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GlynGlobal
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here in December and it was a wonderful experience. The hostess, Madie and her mother made us feel very welcome and we felt at home immediately. The location is perfect, and the water on this side of Caye Caulker is very still compared to the main side, perfect for a peaceful Kayak trip - these are 'free', but a donation to the sanctuary is more than fair (much cheaper than hiring elsewhere). I was pleased to see lots of coconut trees within the grounds (also all over the island), and I was lucky enough to be taught how to open one and drink/eat the contents. Also there is free WIFI, that worked well, which was a great addition.

This place is on the up, with various volunteers helping to build, make, paint and repair various parts of the building (but don't worry they won't disturb you), often with volunteering Vets also in attendance, everyone joins in to stroke and keep an eye on the cats and dogs to give a great community spirit to the place. If you want to do more than just stay there and help out in some way, Madie will be happy to reply to your suggestions via email.

We will definitely return as soon as we can!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Simon B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and wish it could have been longer. Caye Caulker is a wonderful place to visit and this was the perfect location to stay. As it faced west, it was possible to watch the sunset every evening from the small beach area or the pier. The pier has been replaced recently and has a new upper deck and seating available. We could also watch lots of different fish and birds in the clear water. The island is very small but there were quite a few tourists when we were there. Everywhere is within easy walking distance but we appreciated being away from the main ‘hustle’ and the private grounds meant we were in wonderful peaceful surroundings. Yet we could walk to the main Front St in a minute or two.

The room was clean and ready, even though the previous occupants had just left. There was a new bathroom door (previously there was a curtain separating the areas), which allowed for a bit more privacy. There was a large fridge, bed, chairs and small kitchen area. The shower has cool water, which is a regular occurrence in CC and it is hot in the Carribean!!! So hot water isn’t needed as you will need a cool shower. The pedestal fan wasn’t working, we let Madi know and a replacement was outside our door when we came back from dinner.

Kayaks are available to use free of charge, although donations are encouraged. All the money Madi receives goes towards the running of the sanctuary (she also has a wish list on her website where people can donate food etc.). I saw kayaks for rent for $10/hr in town so this is a great deal. We used them a few times and were able to go all around the island and out into the sea; I thought this was a great bargain.

Madi is a wonderful hospitable person and has loads of advice regarding the island. She is very busy running the sanctuary as well as the accommodations, but always has time for people. The cats are let out in groups throughout the day; the grounds are large and they are busy doing their own thing so aren’t in your way. I had a look at some of them and they were all clean, healthy and well looked after. A previous reviewer thought there may be fleas around but they were most likely mistaking them for sand flies which are small bugs which like to feast on ankles at dusk and dawn. They are a problem throughout the island and I saw a lot of folks with a lot of bites. Tropical strength insect repellent stopped us from getting more than a couple of nips, although baby oil also works well. None of the cats I saw had any fleas. There are also a couple of dogs who would be happy to play and sit with you.

To say the building is dilapidated is a misnomer. It had a similar appearance to many of the buildings on the island in that a lot of them are pretty old and have been withstanding storms for a long time. I didn’t think it was dilapidated at all. The whole place was cleaned regularly and the yard tidied daily and the room was clean also. In addition they are making other improvements to the building/accommodations.

If you want to enjoy Caye Caulker in peaceful private surroundings where you can walk to the restaurants and bars in a couple of minutes or choose to stay away from the crowd, while supporting a local Belizean who is working very hard to make a difference, then this is the place to stay. This is the first place we have visited that we wanted to return to straight away and P.A.W. would be the only place we would stay on the island.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple