“Where the sidewalk ends and paradise begins -”
Review of Colinda Cabanas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Colinda Cabanas
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Dallas, Texas
“Where the sidewalk ends and paradise begins -”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed from 12/27/2013- 1/3/2014.

I have stayed all over the Caribbean in both lavish accommodations and those that are moderate. I must say that Colinda Cabanas has to be my favorite location to date. I will be going back. Though the cabanas are not for those that expect spa style luxury, they are an excellent value and a wonderful escape for those that want to experience quaint comfort and the natural beauty of the island.

For starters, the cabanas are clean, pleasing to the eye and provide several features that will make a stay on Caye Caulker a wonderful experience.

1) The staff and owners are super friendly and more than helpful with any needs. They even provided a cookout for everyone staying on New Years Eve. This included fresh fish tacos, slaw, punch and a few other things. It was great fun.

2) The Cabanas are in a super quiet and very private location. It's a great getaway

3) Free wi/fi - though the service is slow, it is useable.

4) Free use of kayaks

4) Purified water in the room -- which we found to be super convenient. We had bike water bottles that we could just refill before venturing out.

5) Beautiful pier with some great views of the sunrise.

6) Decent, causal snorkeling right off the pier with very shallow, clear water. There is some sea grass but there are also areas that have been cleared so plenty of sea-life to see.

7) Very accessible to the beach path and Front Street though the cabanas are quite a walk from The Split. Wherever you are on the island, be prepared to do some walking.

8) The dock is private and the grounds are very well maintained/very picturesque.

9) Location is safe and quiet but -- for those that worry, there is a safe in each cabana.

10)Location is adequately lit at night.

11) Our cabana had a tin roof which made a wonderful sound when it rained a couple of nights. This became one of my favorite characteristics. Maybe this is not for everyone, but I loved this.

12) Cabana also has a coffee pot, microwave, board games, two bikes, hammock, fans, plates, cups, silverware, and a refrigerator. All of these, we used and were grateful to have.

So, I could not say more about my experience here. It was wonderful and we are already making plans to go back. The person I traveled with recently said, "when we left, it was like leaving family, not just a vacation destination." I agree and this is what makes Colinda Cabanas such a special travel destination

Room Tip: I liked the cabana in the back of the property. It was very private and comfortable. There is one...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kevin S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights and was a highlight of our trip! The cabanas are roomy, clean and really adorable! Staff were very helpful-going through a map of the island on arrival. Private dock, use of kayaks, own bicycles and free drinking water make this place a must-stay! Was told that this was a place for mainly honeymooners but didn't feel out of place (not being on a honeymoon). The cabanas are on the end of the island and as such are very quiet (much like the rest of the island :) )

Room Tip: try to get a cabana on the beach! However all of the cabanas are well-situated
California, USA
Reviewed 28 December 2013

These cottages are exactly as advertised, with the bonus of having very gracious, friendly proprietors. The decor is charming. Fans, umbrellas, dishes, and drinking water are provided. The upkeep of the property is meticulous, with beautiful landscaping. The sheets were crisp and clean, despite the humidity on the island. Linda's suggestions for meals were all good tips. The private dock with hammocks was the perfect place to relax and listen to the lapping water.

1 Thank CA7777
seattle
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I spent 2 weeks on my own on Caye Caulker, and Colinda was the perfect respite for me. I was offered a fabulous space in which to rest, eat, read and just stare at the ocean for days. Linda and Colin provided ideas for fun when I asked for them, but otherwise I was left to my own to just be. I felt safe and enjoyed having access to a bike, the ocean and the social life of Caulker without being immersed in it 24/7. It was a perfect place for what I needed. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lisajilk
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My sister and I wanted to take a vacation to a tropical place where we could relax on the beach, catch-up on reading and sleep, and not feel obligated to constantly sight-see. We found that and more at Colinda Cabanas on Caye Caulker. As soon as we arrived to the cabanas, Colin showed us to our cabana so we could drop off our luggage. We stayed in the back raised cabana 8. We then checked in with Linda, who gave us a map of the island and made recommendations for where to eat, shop, sign up for tours, etc. Colin and Linda were out of town for the rest of the trip, but their assistant Colin was equally very nice and helpful. All of the staff were wonderful. Our cabana was perfect for the two of us. We did enjoy having our cabana in the back of the property. There was less traffic, and when we wanted to enjoy the ocean, we were only steps away from the beautiful dock and palapa. The cabana was equipped with a kitchenette, nice porch with chairs and hammock, and a pair of bicycles for roaming around the island. Cleaning staff stopped by everyday (though to save on cleaning, we opted to not have room service everyday) and the rooms were incredibly clean. I particularly liked the location of Colinda's. At the south end of the island, there was not a lot of foot-traffic giving the location a more private feel. We felt incredibly safe there, with Colinda's having both night security and motion-sensor lights. Colinda's had everything we wanted and more. We were incredibly happy with our stay, and if we ever make it back to Belize we would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Back cabanas were quieter and not as closely clustered as the other cabanas. We liked the privacy o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TedSyracuse_NewYork
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and I recently spent two weeks at Colinda Cabanas in an upper beachfront suite, and we will definitely be repeat visitors here. Located on the quieter south side of the island, our unit was steps from the beach and from a private pier with a palapa and hammocks. The suite was very nice--spotlessly clean, modern, tastefully decorated, fully stocked kitchen for those that care to cook (including complementary coffee and grinder), A/C and fans, private hammocks on the deck, and amazing views. Bicycles came with each unit, and guests had access to kayaks when desired. The buildings and grounds were very charming and well maintained, with the same eye for detail outside that was evident within the unit. It seemed that nothing was left unattended to (e.g., a bottle of Skin So Soft oil left out for guests to use to combat the sand fleas--a MUCH needed detail that I was eternally grateful for, being a sand flea favourite!). The owners (Colin and Linda) were incredibly kind, helpful and knowledgeable, and recommended the best tours and restaurants. We had an amazing time, every time we followed their guidance. As well, they went above and beyond by helping me out with advice and products when it became evident that I had a sand flea allergy, which went a LONG way in helping me make the most of my trip. The staff at Colinda's were all awesome--always willing to help and always pleasant and fun.We can't wait to get back there!

4 Thank Maurene B
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed in upper unit of beachfront building. Sunrise each day was worth an early wakeup. BR had AC but used only for a short time upon arrival. Fans and natural breezes were all that were needed afterwards. Daily maid service was a pleasant surprise but very useful to remove beach sand on the floor. We used bicycles (provided with unit) for island travel. Lots to do (or not do) on Caye Caulker. Great diving (separate review) and good food abound. Visitors should be aware that the south end of the Caye where Colinda Cabanas are located is the quiet end (great relaxing and sleeping). The north end is the beach bar, music and nighttime activities location. Walking there takes 15-20 minutes along the semi-lite beach, but no safety issues observed. All staff at Colinda Cabanas were extremely helpful. Colin and Linda (owners) earned our future repeat business--hopefully to the same beach-front unit.

2 Thank twohappi
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
#11 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Been to Colinda Cabanas? Share your experiences!