We stayed from 12/27/2013- 1/3/2014.
I have stayed all over the Caribbean in both lavish accommodations and those that are moderate. I must say that Colinda Cabanas has to be my favorite location to date. I will be going back. Though the cabanas are not for those that expect spa style luxury, they are an excellent value and a wonderful escape for those that want to experience quaint comfort and the natural beauty of the island.
For starters, the cabanas are clean, pleasing to the eye and provide several features that will make a stay on Caye Caulker a wonderful experience.
1) The staff and owners are super friendly and more than helpful with any needs. They even provided a cookout for everyone staying on New Years Eve. This included fresh fish tacos, slaw, punch and a few other things. It was great fun.
2) The Cabanas are in a super quiet and very private location. It's a great getaway
3) Free wi/fi - though the service is slow, it is useable.
4) Free use of kayaks
4) Purified water in the room -- which we found to be super convenient. We had bike water bottles that we could just refill before venturing out.
5) Beautiful pier with some great views of the sunrise.
6) Decent, causal snorkeling right off the pier with very shallow, clear water. There is some sea grass but there are also areas that have been cleared so plenty of sea-life to see.
7) Very accessible to the beach path and Front Street though the cabanas are quite a walk from The Split. Wherever you are on the island, be prepared to do some walking.
8) The dock is private and the grounds are very well maintained/very picturesque.
9) Location is safe and quiet but -- for those that worry, there is a safe in each cabana.
10)Location is adequately lit at night.
11) Our cabana had a tin roof which made a wonderful sound when it rained a couple of nights. This became one of my favorite characteristics. Maybe this is not for everyone, but I loved this.
12) Cabana also has a coffee pot, microwave, board games, two bikes, hammock, fans, plates, cups, silverware, and a refrigerator. All of these, we used and were grateful to have.
So, I could not say more about my experience here. It was wonderful and we are already making plans to go back. The person I traveled with recently said, "when we left, it was like leaving family, not just a vacation destination." I agree and this is what makes Colinda Cabanas such a special travel destination
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Colinda Cabanas is located on a prime safe and quiet beachfront property on the island of Caye Caulker in Belize. Facing the reef on the preferred East side, we are blessed with an almost constant Cool North-Easterly breeze. Most nights star-gazing is amazing while listening to the surf breaking on the reef. Naturalists and children alike will enjoy the abundant species of migratory birds, reptiles and marine life. We currently have twelve units available for nightly rentals. Each of our units are slightly different and offer various amenities depending on your needs and your budget. Prices range from $69.00 - $159.00 per night + tax for 2 persons. Single travelers receive $5.00 off per night. We also offer discounts for 5 or 7 night stays. Some of the Cabanas and all of the beach suites offer ocean views. All units have a fridge,coffee maker, coffee beans and 5 gallon purified water station. Some units have full kitchens and a/c. The bathrooms have a good supply of hot reverse osmosis purified water. Free WiFi in room. We also supply bicycles and kayaks. (Free of charge on a first come basis). A 175' long pier with chairs, palapa and hammocks and safe swimming area completes the picture ! ... more less