“Expensive but nice”
Review of Iguana Reef Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Iguana Reef Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We knew the Iguana Reef Inn would be the most expensive place we stayed at while in Belize, but we wanted to have a couple of nice nights at a "resort" like place while on Caye Caulker, and this place delivered. We stayed in Room 9, facing the west toward the ocean.
Iguana Reef Inn is close to the water taxi dock, just a couple of blocks really, so it isn't hard to carry your bags to the Inn (you don't need to get a golf cart taxi).
Because Iguana Reef Inn is on the west side of the skinny island, it is a short distance away from the main street - which means it is quiet. There are a bunch of clubs catering to tourists on Caye Caulker, but we heard none of their late night revelry.
We had two continental breakfasts here: yogurt w/ granola, fruit, bread, rolls and juice.
The room is big and clean. Plus, it has a safe, which is really handy for when you need to leave your passport and wallet behind when you take a snorkeling trip (don't miss Hol Chan Reserve!)
We paid a total of $370 USD for an enjoyable two night stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here 3 times. Wife & I have traveled thoughout belize. On Caye Caulker this is the nicest,. Staff is great. Rooms are always clean, and spaceious. Pool is nice. The "beach area" the rear of Inn on the Lagoon is a nice place to see a sunset and drink. Kayaking around the lagoon is nice. Caye Chaulkner is a must on a trip to Belize, in our opionin its one of the best "beach / island experences in Belize.....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great hotel... clean,good bathrooms(which are sometimes hard to come by on Caye Caulker). Staff was amazing....I don't eat seafood so the Night(s) Otis cooked for us he called home and had a home cooked meal delivered for me....that meant a lot to me (THANKS OTIS' WIFE! ). Anytime we wanted to book an excursion LIZ or ALEX lined everything up for us. We will go back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Trip from airport to Iguana Reef Inn via golf cart. Town a bit tired and rough but don't be put off by first impressions. Place will grow on you!!! Iguana Reef Inn very clean, nice rooms. Small and clean sparkling pool and beach area. Perfect for catching sun though not good for swimming. Staff (Elizabeth, Otis and Alec) delightful, accommodating and most helpful. Continental breakfast excellent. Chips and salsa, nachos, and frozen margaritas and banana daiquiris help in the fight against sun exposure. Easy walk to restaurants. Several times weekly, Otis grills dinners in bar area. Don't miss. Small restaurant next door (8 West) has great happy hour 3 to 6. $15 (US) pitchers of margaritas and best conch fritters you'll ever have. Both Inn and 8 West phenomenal sites to watch spectacular sunsets. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john m
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just got back from a week in Caye Caulker with some friends.
Stayed at the Iguana Reef Inn and had a great time. The hotel is probably the nicest one on the island. The staff are extremely friendly and attentive to all your needs. One of the new owners, Eric, is now living at the property and makes certain everything possible is done to make you a happy guest.
Would go back again in the future without a doubt!
Also, there is Free wifi at the hotel and almost everywhere you go on the island and everything is in English everywhere!

Room Tip: The Penthouse is unbelievable, but all the rooms are good size comfortable and the pool is fantastic...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I came to Caye Caulker off the ferry, had not booked accommodations. It had been raining heavily, the streets were muddy with great pools of muddy water everywhere. I tried a few places in different price categories...and there was nothing available...I wandered into The Iguana Reef Inn, which looked quite posh and expensive, so I figured they would have a room available. The young man at reception advised me he had only one room left...and I think because he felt sorry for me standing there looking like "something wet and muddy that the cat dragged in', he gave me a really good discount on the room. it was still above my price, but I took it! but it actually turned out to be well worth it.
Iguana Reef Inn is a great place, comfortable, clean, very beautifully appointed, with local art work through out. My room was very spacious, it held two king sizes beds! Had plenty of closet & storage space. The bathroom was large and wonderful, with great lighting over mirror (!) and the most important thing of all, plenty of good pressured hot water! the first few days I was there, it stormed rain every day...so I couldn't have been in in a better place. I swanned around the lounge bar area chatting with the odd guest, rested in the bar writing on my IPad or I lazed about my lovely large room, reading, chilling out....and waited for the weather to calm down. During this time the manager caught a boa constrictor that was hanging out near the pool in the Mangroves. That caused a lot of 'cool' excitement.

What more can I say, the staff are all very accommodating,the breakfast which is included in the room rate is really good and fresh. ....homemade yogurt, fresh fruit, fresh homemade baked cinnamon muffin... All in total comfort. I totally enjoyed my stay there .

CAYE Caulker is a great island, the people, the relaxed and laidback energy. Everyone walks around barefooted, the roads are ALL dirt roads and were pretty mucky due to the rain. all the locals get to know you right away and even we tourist got to know each other....a very cozy community. After only 4 days I felt at completely at home and didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: MY room ( no 4) had a back door that faced the back yard of a local Family with lots of kids in the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I just completed my third stay in six months at the Iguana Reef Inn and HIGHLY recommend it. Prior to my first visit to Caye Caulker in July 2013, I engaged in extensive research of the various accommodation options on the island. As I was a single woman traveling alone, safety was a top concern. In addition, I was looking for places that were either centrally located or provided bicycles to enable me to get around more quickly. At the same time, I wanted a place that was quiet and relaxing and preferably had a pool. After weighing the various options, including rental homes, condos, and other hotels, I decided the Iguana Reef best satisfied my needs.

While doing my research, I exchanged multiple emails with Alex, the front desk manager. Alex was very responsive and assured me of the safety of the property. He explained there are security guards onsite at night and there are safes in the room. He was certainly right on both accounts.

The Iguana Reef is located on the leeward (west) side of the island at the end of Chapoose Street next to the soccer field. It is in a quiet location tucked away from the backpacking "crowds" and Rastas that dominate Front Street. At the same time, it is literally a two-three minute walk to Front Street, including to Oceanside - the popular late night dance "club."

The Iguana Reef has a nice pool which includes an option of lounging on chairs within the pool. Depending on the time of day and, as I learned over three trips, the time of year, some parts of the pool may not be in the sun all day long. If you are a sun worshipper and would prefer to be in the sun all day and not have to move to a different seating area, the Iguana Reef's beach may be your best bet. The Iguana Reef's beach is the nicest I've seen on the whole island of Caye Caulker. It has lounge chairs and umbrellas. In addition, the bartender regularly checks on guests not only at the pool but also out on the beach.

I should mention that I use the term beach loosely as there really are no traditional beaches on Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. Like the other parts of the island, the water off of the beach has a lot of sea grass and is pretty shallow which, in my opinion, really aren't ideal conditions for swimming. In addition the beach is surrounded by a wall so that the beach is actually raised a little bit above the water. However, if you are so inclined to swim or walk in the water it's easy to step in from the wall or off of the dock (which has a ladder).

At the end of the beach there is a very nice dock with "clam" chairs. This is probably my favorite part of the whole property. The dock is the best place on Caye Caulker to catch the sunset. The sunset attracts hotel guests, non-hotel guests, and locals alike. All are welcome. The bartender serves the sunset crowd so it is a perfect atmosphere. During the day, the dock (and beach area) is a very relaxing and typically quiet place to hang out. It is not unusual for pelicans to land on the dock or to be swimming around in the nearby water. Most late afternoons, you can also spot rays swimming by the dock as well. There is also an abundance of fish and even seahorses in the water.

The main bartender is Otis who is just awesome! He makes fabulous mango margaritas and mango daiquiris. Actually, all of the drinks he makes are delicious. Otis also cooks one night a week at the hotel. Menus are placed in the rooms and you can choose from a couple of entrees. I highly recommend you sign up for one of his dinners. It was among the top meals I've ever had on the island.

As part of your stay, a continental type breakfast is included. It's basically the same thing every day - fruit; granola; breads for toast; juices; and coffee. Special coffees like lattes can be purchased for a small fee. It's nice to be able to roll out of bed and into the bar area to grab something to eat. However, it might be nice if they expanded it a little bit to maybe include an omelet option. Lizbeth oversees the breakfast most mornings and will prepare toast and coffee for you. She has such a bright and sunny personality that it made me want to get up early just to catch her at breakfast.

The rooms are nice, very clean, and well appointed. They are quite spacious, too. Be aware that most rooms on the property do not have televisions. There is, however, a television in the bar area if you are interested in catching up on the news from the "outside world." The hotel also offers free Wifi throughout the hotel (in both the common areas and the rooms) so you can access the Internet from your laptop or iPad.

The property is very well maintained and is always very clean. Moreover, the grounds are lush with tropical plants. Every time I step foot onto the grounds, I always feel as though I am entering a little oasis on Caye Caulker.

As of the beginning of January 2014, a group from Texas acquired the Iguana Reef. The new ownership group has extensive hotel experience at high end hotels in the United States. I know that ownership transitions can sometimes be rough but I foresee only positive changes at the Iguana Reef in the future. I believe there are plans to further expand the beach and to ultimately include a bar in the back near the dock. Those improvements will make the beach and dock area an even more enticing place to catch the sunsets. There also are plans to expand the hotel itself in the future and to add even more tropical plants to the already lush property.

If you are a diver, another great aspect of the Iguana Reef is that it is located right next door to Belize Diving Services (BDS). In fact, to gain access to the hotel, you walk through the BDS property. So it's VERY convenient for diving. I also highly recommend BDS for diving. It is a very professional operation with a variety of diving location options.

Part of the BDS property is a bar/restaurant called 88 West which has great, fresh food. So it's a fantastic dining option if you want to stay close to the Iguana Reef property. I should note that, currently, the Iguana Reef does not have its own restaurant. But the Iguana Reef bar does have several bar food snack options like nachos and the like. In addition, each day there is a special food option like a cheese plate or shrimp cocktail.

I've already mentioned the Iguana Reef's staff several times but I really can't say enough about them. They ALL are so warm and welcoming. They go above and beyond to make guests feel comfortable and welcome. If you let them know when you are arriving at the airport or water taxi, they will arrange to have a taxi (golf cart) meet you. I found that this greeting was only the beginning of their hospitality. Because the hotel is very small (about 14 rooms), the staff is able to provide very individualized attention to each guest. Eric, the new GM/owner's representative, makes it a point to meet all of the guests and seek feedback on their stays. He takes the guests' feedback very seriously is determined to improve upon an already excellent hotel oasis.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
#15 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Athens Gate Beach Resort
#3 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Iguana Reef Inn? Share your experiences!