“The best way to start a trip !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yuma's House Belize

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Yuma's House Belize
Antigua, Guatemala
“The best way to start a trip !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I came to Yuma's as a very nervous, young solo female traveler. The place was perfect, an absolute dream. The rooms are great with only two bunk beds, there is lots of space for your bags and belongings. The kitchens are well equipped and there are plenty of washrooms. The hammocks on the dock are the comfiest ones I've ever swung in.

It was so easy for me to meet other travelers on the island and at Yuma's. Everyone at the hostel is very friendly and always in a good mood. Suzanne is very sweet and very accommodating. I frequently saw her changing the shower mat during peak shower times to make sure there was never a sopping mess.

I was able to enjoy the bars and clubs on the island and return to Yuma's quietly without any issues.

I left to San Pedro for only two nights and kept wishing I was back at Caye Caulker. I returned and Suzanne was waiting with open arms.

Yuma's was a perfect place to find my bearings as a first time backpacker. I left to Guatemala feeling incredibly happy and more confident. I even left in a few tears because I was so sad to go.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Guatemala City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have traveled quite a lot through Southeast Asia and Europe and I can certainly say that Yuma's is THE best beach hostel I have ever stayed in. It is extremely clean, everything is in good shape, well equipped common kitchens (2). The showers are perfect, with a little stool and hangers to put your stuff on. The security is really good, it has closed circuit cameras and a night guard. No visitors are allowed, ever, which I think is perfect. It is NOT a party hostel, you have to be quiet after 11pm; I thought that was great too.
Susanne the owner is super nice and she makes sure everything is running to perfection at the hostel.
The location is superb, is right off the arrival dock and a 10 minutes walk to The Split.
Amazing place. No complaints. One suggestion for Susanne though: a hanging hook by the sinks and a mirror in the outside sink as well ;)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mamagotchi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

This place is a great hostel with an amazing location on the island. Stayed here for 6 nights without any problems. Susan is a beautiful host, so polite, accomadating and happy to help whenever you need it. Great bunch of communal areas so easy to meet other travels to share stories or play some of the provided board games. Clean bedrooms and bathrooms, there is only one upstairs shower and toilet but plently more downstairs which people forget about so they are always free. There is also 2 kitchen areas, fully equipped if you like to save some money and cook at the hostel. Oh! And susan has 2 adorable dogs, buddy and lady :) I had the best time staying here, one of my favorite hostels ever.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Yuma's for three nights, we found it to be one of the most comforitable, clean and relaxed hostels we have ever been to. The kitchen is clean, the staff is friendly and acomidations, plenty of showers, a view of the ocean, AND two adorable dogs on the property. Great place! You will definetly need to make a reservation!

• Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Now this is without doubt one of the best places to stay on the entire island but you need to book in advance through HW.

I arrived early and was chatting to the Night Security Guard who was just ACE.

When the short spikey blonde haired women (Swedish I think) arrived and opened up she was so rude to me that I felt compelled to review even though I did not stay there.

She was incredibly rude, despite me trying to be really chilled and ask questions about anywhere else she'd recommend "there are lots of other places"........oh how about a trip to San Ignacio do you run those "No"........does anyone "No". If I stay a month can I get a room "No"

Eventually as a Global Traveler I just gave in and pointed at the Trip Advisor Badge and said that Id leave a review. She didnt even bat an eye.

Now, would I stay here? Hell Yes its superb. Is it well run and clean, yes.

Quite what happened with this women I have no idea but I am not the first this has happened to.

As a older dude and respectful at all times Im used to not being treated like a nube backpacker, so was just a little sad. This person was the only rude person I met on the entire island in a whole month. I asked other travelers about their stay to rate on a genuine basis.

Shame as it should be a 100% review. Still, complacency get a 45% review, sorry. :o(

Room Tip: Pay extra and get the room right at the front. Best swimming pool in the world.....the ocean.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lazyblueskies
Yumashousebelize, Owner at Yuma's House Belize, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hi Lazyblueskies,

I find reviews like yours a nuisance. You were not a guest in my house - yet twice you demand my time.

You had the time to write a review using 271 words. You rated the sleep quality with 4 stars; gave our rooms 5 stars and 4 for cleanliness without having set foot in my house. In addition you gave plain wrong advise on your room tip. You claim to have spoken to other travelers, yet everyone was still asleep when I found you waiting outside my office.

It is correct that you received many clear-cut “no’s “ from me – which is my German trait - they made you unsatisfied and you threatened me to put a ‘bad’ review on Trip Adviser.

Your review inspired me. We will start having a tip jar for those 5-star-in importance-travelers that are not guests in our house – yet demand a good junk of our time. We are going to use the tip money for those much-deserved head and neck massages that will allow us to be always cheerful to answer 1001 questions.

Best,
Susanne
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hostel was a phenomenal experience. Susanne is a great manager. It is clean, safe, convenient to everything, and the people that stay there are really cool. A great spot and highly recommended. Really nice place to kick your feet up for a few days.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I liked my 2 night stay at Yuma's. Clean sheets. Clean bathrooms. Organised and clean kitchens to cook in(1 on each of the 2 storey house).

My room faced the water and had a wonderful breeze every night. Loved the multiple hammocks around the reception area. Although breakfast isn't included in the price, you can easily find breakfast along the main street.

Room Tip: Book early for a slot in this excellent hostel or risk having to stay at some rather hairy hostel.