“First backpacking experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Yuma's House Belize
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“First backpacking experience!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at Yuma's over the weekend with some friends from Canada. This was my first time at a backpacker's hostel and I was pleasantly surprised with all the amenities they provided. Initially, there was a little glitch when I was checking in as I had forgotten my passport being a student and residing in Belize. At first Susanne was very strict and said "no passport, no check-in". My heart was crushed and I thought this was the end of my first backpacking experience. However after vetting my National I.D to ensure of its legitimacy she allowed me to stay! I was so relieved and grateful.

At Yuma's I was able to meet people from all across the globe; everyone was friendly and I felt really comfortable. I'm sorry I didn't get their contacts in case I make a trip to their side of the world. (Hopefully if they see this they'll contact me lol). There was a sufficient number of board games at the hostel to keep us preoccupied for the days that it was rainy and gloomy outside. The kitchen was fully furnished with an adequate number of utensils and the property was generally clean. When we were outside in the garden and the mosquitoes began attacking, Susanne brought mosquito coils and bug spray for us. Please note that this is not a party hostel (there is a curfew) so be guided accordingly.

I really felt at home at this hostel and I hope to return (passport in hand) with another group of friends some day!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trinichica_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

A very affordable and well organized hostel, great location, easy to meet interesting people, better than couple of other more expensive hotels i stayed at during my trip to Belize. Clear rules explained at check in are well respected by everyone. I stayed in a shared room for a couple of days and after few days came back to stay in a single room. Shared room had individual lockers which i liked. Number of showers/restrooms is sufficient for the number of people staying in there. It was never crowded or too busy in the public areas. I like the common kitchen with all the facilities to cook your own meal. I didn't cook anything, but used the kettle many times and store some fruits in the ref. The entire set up is very condusive and comfortable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 nights just last week, great location - next to the water taxi terminal and close to bars and restaurants. Susanne keeps the house in perfect order making for a pleasant stay...keep in mind this is not a party hostel but a great place to kick back and chill in a clean and friendly atmosphere. Be sure to book at least a week in advance, they permanently have a No Vacancy sign on the front gate due to the popularity of this hostel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Best value in Caye Caulker. Simple but very clean private rooms and wonderful atmosphere. Located right outside the water taxi terminal, on the water and steps to all the restaurants and bars. Susanne is very helpful with anything you need. There are plenty of hammocks to lounge around in, a great common area, and two very clean kitchens. I would definitely recommend this little guesthouse/hostel to anyone looking for budget accommodations in Caye Caulker!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G M
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I came to Yuma's as a very nervous, young solo female traveler. The place was perfect, an absolute dream. The rooms are great with only two bunk beds, there is lots of space for your bags and belongings. The kitchens are well equipped and there are plenty of washrooms. The hammocks on the dock are the comfiest ones I've ever swung in.

It was so easy for me to meet other travelers on the island and at Yuma's. Everyone at the hostel is very friendly and always in a good mood. Suzanne is very sweet and very accommodating. I frequently saw her changing the shower mat during peak shower times to make sure there was never a sopping mess.

I was able to enjoy the bars and clubs on the island and return to Yuma's quietly without any issues.

I left to San Pedro for only two nights and kept wishing I was back at Caye Caulker. I returned and Suzanne was waiting with open arms.

Yuma's was a perfect place to find my bearings as a first time backpacker. I left to Guatemala feeling incredibly happy and more confident. I even left in a few tears because I was so sad to go.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Guatemala City
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have traveled quite a lot through Southeast Asia and Europe and I can certainly say that Yuma's is THE best beach hostel I have ever stayed in. It is extremely clean, everything is in good shape, well equipped common kitchens (2). The showers are perfect, with a little stool and hangers to put your stuff on. The security is really good, it has closed circuit cameras and a night guard. No visitors are allowed, ever, which I think is perfect. It is NOT a party hostel, you have to be quiet after 11pm; I thought that was great too.
Susanne the owner is super nice and she makes sure everything is running to perfection at the hostel.
The location is superb, is right off the arrival dock and a 10 minutes walk to The Split.
Amazing place. No complaints. One suggestion for Susanne though: a hanging hook by the sinks and a mirror in the outside sink as well ;)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mamagotchi
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

This place is a great hostel with an amazing location on the island. Stayed here for 6 nights without any problems. Susan is a beautiful host, so polite, accomadating and happy to help whenever you need it. Great bunch of communal areas so easy to meet other travels to share stories or play some of the provided board games. Clean bedrooms and bathrooms, there is only one upstairs shower and toilet but plently more downstairs which people forget about so they are always free. There is also 2 kitchen areas, fully equipped if you like to save some money and cook at the hostel. Oh! And susan has 2 adorable dogs, buddy and lady :) I had the best time staying here, one of my favorite hostels ever.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Pedro's Hotel
Pedro's Hotel
#31 of 53 in San Pedro
Sandbar Beachfront Hostel & Restaurant

Been to Yuma's House Belize? Share your experiences!