“Our stay at Barefoot Beach resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Our stay at Barefoot Beach resort”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Barefoot Beach for 5 or 6 years. It's our very favorite spot. The bungaloos are wonderful, the accomodations are great and everything about it is "perfect". We love it and will continue to go every year as long as we can.
Lulu - from Michigan

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lulu K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We spent five nights in this lovely beach hotel after an other five days stay in San Ignacio by the Guatemalan border. The location of this hotel was ideal; on the beach and still only 5 - 10 min. from the "downtown". There was a nice private pier with two hammocks in the shadow and beach chairs in the sun. Even if the depth of the water was only about 1 meter at the end of the pier it was still possible to have a refreshing swim in privacy. We had the best room of the hotel, downstairs with a open patio on the beach. And in addition to the bed-and bathroom we had a kitchen/livingroom with tv and a sofa. Our landlady Susan was very nice and helpful with all information we needed about eating out, shopping, diving etc. Having seen the other options in this hotel cathegory I am sure we made a very good choice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kajeulindgren
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed here in July 2010 for about 5 days. We flew in travelling from Tulum, Mexico.

The place looks nice enough at first sight. But to be honest not that impressive. However, when you get to know the island and see a number of the other places, you realise that for the price you are getting one of the nicer places to stay on the island - that's for sure. Upkeep is done on ther whole property, and that's what sets it apart from others in the same price range. many other look a bit rundown.

Check-in was easy. The maid met us, and check in was easy having arranged everything via email.

We opted for a non-sea view room. This was cheap and is at the side of the property, on the ground floor, - room 3 I think.

The room was of a decent enough size. You enter there's a bed in front of you, with a good sized mosquito net hanging from ceiling, to the right is a little door to the bathroom located directly behing the bed, to the left up on the wall is a little TV, there is also a table for your stuff and a fridge.

The one bad thing about the room was the shower. It's an electric shower connected directly to the shower head. Touch the wrong part and you get an electric shock! Not nice. Hopefully they've sorted that out. Hot water does come at a premium out there! The bathroom itself is pretty small, and not that nice.

The room is clean, and cleaned often. The sheets, bed, and general state of the room is clean and nice.

The A/C works pretty well!
The TV provides decent film channels for when your stuck indoors during freak weather.

It is important to realise that you are just getting a room, the accommodation offers nothing else.

The location is a good 10min walk from the center of things, so you need to do that walk a few times a day. It's a nice walk, it on a tropical island. How can it not be nice. BUT when there's a tropical storm - you are pretty stuck. As there are no shops nearby to get any food etc. Also at night it can sometime be a bit eerie...especially when a snake that we could barely see at nice, shocked us a little!

I doubt for the price you'd find better. I enjoyed it and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ALondonUK
Maui
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Enjoyed staying in an upstairs suite at Barefoot Beach in Caye Caulker. It was clean, peaceful and we felt safe and secure. Owners/managers were friendly and helpful, and we loved the location away from the central part of town. We rented bicycles (unfortunately the ones at Barefoot were quite rusted) and it was a pleasant few minute pedal or walk into town. The pier sticking out into the the lagoon was a great place to sit and read, and could swim a bit off the pier, though the swim ladder needs repair.

Room Tip: We were upstairs above Ashley's house, and while not fronting the sea it was a great choice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Fantastic, with a wonderful Local feel. It was SULPHUR, had it in Tenn. Told the owner about it and in 10 minutes a filter was changed and water Chlorinated. Smell gone! Super clean and friendly. They even raked the sand. Cable in English and she had bicycles to use when ever we wanted. This is your best bet for relaxation, the dock was 10 steps from our room. Exactly what I wanted. Susan your the best! Our bed was made and room cleaned every day, you do need to ask for your towels to be changed like any place, but they rushed to serve. My husband is used to Luxury resorts so I was worried about him, but he loved the simpleness as much as I did.

Room Tip: Communicate! She will break her back to please.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie N
San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Bad experience, bath water smells like methane gas, definitely not a healthy place to stay. Not a sulfur smell either. Every time you ran the shower or sink faucet, it was unbearable. I checked out on my second morning. I ran the water on several hotels and none of them had that smell. Sulphur - NO WAY!
I slept with the lights on to keep the spiders at bay.
Learned that this part of the island was not included when a purification system was put in.
In all fairness, Barefoot had signs stating not to drink the water.
Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Run the water in any hotel before checking in.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Victoria P
cayemermaid, Owner at Barefoot Beach Belize, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
I will be the first to admit that when we get rains there is a smell to the water at times. As soon as I am aware I chlorinate and change filters....beyond the regular changing. I have 3 different water systems, so if there are any issues ( if I am aware) I can quickly remedy the problems. ANY problems if told to me will be corrected immediately or as quickly as possible. It is unfortunate that travelers sometimes do not make owners aware of a concern. I am only human so can not know everything without a little input at times. I do try very hard to keep everything right...I completely refurbish and paint every room in of season. All readers, if staying with me, please feel free to let me know what needs attention!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This hotel is good budget accomodation and offers good service.

If you like to be more secluded this is the place for you. If you like the nightlife its only a 10 minute stroll to the Lasy Lizard.

I gave a 4 rating not beacuse its a 4 Star Hotel, because it is close to what I expected when booking.

Enjoy your stay on the Caye and remember 'glow slow'

Room Tip: Get a room at the front overlooking the Carribean .. nice warm water
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
#20 of 53 in San Pedro
Royal Palm Island Resort
Royal Palm Island Resort
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Barefoot Beach Belize? Share your experiences!