“Barefoot Beach is where it's at!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
California
“Barefoot Beach is where it's at!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We found Barefoot Beach 6 years ago and have been coming back ever since! Our mothers, fathers and siblings have even joined us through the years. When our daughter was born almost 4 years ago we didn't think twice about bringing her to stay at Barefoot Beach. Susan helped us to rent a playpen from a local couple. It was very clean and affordable...and way better than traveling with one. Through the years Susan and her family have been just perfect. The moto of the island is "Go Slow" and that is exactly why we go there for 2 weeks every year. Beer, water, bikes, fishing guides, you name it and Susan can arrange to help get you what you need.

Ashley is a great addition to place. She's very helpful when Susan isn't around and her daily cleaning is above and beyond what I think is necessary. Trash is removed, floor is swept, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen areas are cleaned. I kind of like to do that myself while I'm relaxing so I had to find other things to do so that I wouldn't get in her way. Cleaning the cabana helps me to imagine that I am a Belizean for 2 weeks of the year and while I'd love to have Ashley around all of the time, her help takes from the simple life that I love to bask in. She worked around our daughter's nap time and even played with her when she was awake.

John is also a great part of the Barefoot crew. He's the handy man and also very helpful when Susan and Ashley are away. I think that he was also considerate around nap time. He plays an adorable game of peek-a-boo while going to and from tasks too.

Simply said, they're just nice folks in a piece of paradise that my family and I hope to visit year after year.

For those who said that the hotel is far from town....nothing is "far" on Caye Caulker. Each day we would walk to the split in the morning and then bike to the split in the afternoon...with our 3-year old.

Another great thing about the property is that there are rooms and cabanas to fit a wide range of tastes and budgets. We have stayed in all of the rooms and the only problem we encountered was a plugged shower head, that was quickly fixed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank OV_Rocker

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I spent my first visit to Caye Caulker at the Barefoot Beach hotel. I absolutely loved it! the location is absolutely fantastic and the owner Susan, her daughter Ashley and employee John made me feel like family. They helped me in anyway I needed and were so amazing. The location was Perfect, very quiet and totally beautiful. I have stayed at another hotel in Caye Caulker that was "downtown" and it was loud and annoying. It made me really appreciate this hotel even more! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place, with honest and wonderful down to earth people. And by the way...the picture is exactly how the hotel looks currently! colorful and cute...you can see it from the water taxi!

Room Tip: I stayed in the cabana and it was so close to the beach and spacious with a full kitchen! they also...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank leah p
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2011

nice place to stay for a relaxed time quite clean 5 min walk to downtown nothing more to say :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elle L
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 10 December 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Barefoot Beach for 5 or 6 years. It's our very favorite spot. The bungaloos are wonderful, the accomodations are great and everything about it is "perfect". We love it and will continue to go every year as long as we can.
Lulu - from Michigan

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lulu K
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We spent five nights in this lovely beach hotel after an other five days stay in San Ignacio by the Guatemalan border. The location of this hotel was ideal; on the beach and still only 5 - 10 min. from the "downtown". There was a nice private pier with two hammocks in the shadow and beach chairs in the sun. Even if the depth of the water was only about 1 meter at the end of the pier it was still possible to have a refreshing swim in privacy. We had the best room of the hotel, downstairs with a open patio on the beach. And in addition to the bed-and bathroom we had a kitchen/livingroom with tv and a sofa. Our landlady Susan was very nice and helpful with all information we needed about eating out, shopping, diving etc. Having seen the other options in this hotel cathegory I am sure we made a very good choice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kajeulindgren
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed here in July 2010 for about 5 days. We flew in travelling from Tulum, Mexico.

The place looks nice enough at first sight. But to be honest not that impressive. However, when you get to know the island and see a number of the other places, you realise that for the price you are getting one of the nicer places to stay on the island - that's for sure. Upkeep is done on ther whole property, and that's what sets it apart from others in the same price range. many other look a bit rundown.

Check-in was easy. The maid met us, and check in was easy having arranged everything via email.

We opted for a non-sea view room. This was cheap and is at the side of the property, on the ground floor, - room 3 I think.

The room was of a decent enough size. You enter there's a bed in front of you, with a good sized mosquito net hanging from ceiling, to the right is a little door to the bathroom located directly behing the bed, to the left up on the wall is a little TV, there is also a table for your stuff and a fridge.

The one bad thing about the room was the shower. It's an electric shower connected directly to the shower head. Touch the wrong part and you get an electric shock! Not nice. Hopefully they've sorted that out. Hot water does come at a premium out there! The bathroom itself is pretty small, and not that nice.

The room is clean, and cleaned often. The sheets, bed, and general state of the room is clean and nice.

The A/C works pretty well!
The TV provides decent film channels for when your stuck indoors during freak weather.

It is important to realise that you are just getting a room, the accommodation offers nothing else.

The location is a good 10min walk from the center of things, so you need to do that walk a few times a day. It's a nice walk, it on a tropical island. How can it not be nice. BUT when there's a tropical storm - you are pretty stuck. As there are no shops nearby to get any food etc. Also at night it can sometime be a bit eerie...especially when a snake that we could barely see at nice, shocked us a little!

I doubt for the price you'd find better. I enjoyed it and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ALondonUK
Maui
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Enjoyed staying in an upstairs suite at Barefoot Beach in Caye Caulker. It was clean, peaceful and we felt safe and secure. Owners/managers were friendly and helpful, and we loved the location away from the central part of town. We rented bicycles (unfortunately the ones at Barefoot were quite rusted) and it was a pleasant few minute pedal or walk into town. The pier sticking out into the the lagoon was a great place to sit and read, and could swim a bit off the pier, though the swim ladder needs repair.

Room Tip: We were upstairs above Ashley's house, and while not fronting the sea it was a great choice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
#21 of 53 in San Pedro
The Phoenix Resort
The Phoenix Resort
#1 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Barefoot Beach Belize? Share your experiences!