“Absolutely fantastic”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 4 January 2008

My wife and I had a great time during our 5 day stay at Barefoot Beach on Caye Caulker. The accomidations were perfect. Right out our door was the coral white sand with conch shells lining our way down to the water. The hotel is situated far enough from the "busy part" of the island so you can sleep at night, but close enough to where you can still walk to all the key spots on the island. I've already suggested this hotel to a number of friends and will continue to do so. Thanks for such a super time and we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: December 2007
6  Thank Tubescreamer
There are newer reviews for Barefoot Beach Belize

Reviewed 31 December 2007

We spent 2 weeks on Caye Caulker and stayed at 4 different guest houses. Barefoot Beach was the worst by far. Well over priced for the run down accomidations. It was a chore just to get the room cleaned and have a warm shower. And what is deal with being prodded to pay up front when you arrive? The island is wonderful, and the locals are great, but you can find a much better deal...

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BeachTrekker22
mermaidhunter, Owner at Barefoot Beach Belize, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2008

This bad review was expected. After arriving on the island this couple decided they would prefer to go to San Pedro where friends were already booked. Unfortunately, we can not simply cancel reservations a day before Christmas, as I'm sure a guest would not want us to do to them either. We are on an isolated island where rerenting is not a simple thing. Then they were angry that they did not receive a service on their room for Christmas Day (which is the ONE day a year we close so that workers and ourselves can be with our loved ones.) So I'm sorry that I could not let them out of their reservation, guaranteeing a room is why people make reservations. But it's unfortunate that bad planning on a guests part turns into a bad review for us.

Reviewed 11 December 2007

My wife and I just got back from spending 2 weeks on Caye Caulker. What a beautiful island with many great people, great food and a totally laid back vibe. We stayed at Barefoot Beach which is 10 min. or so south of the main dock and just loved it. Kim the owner was very helpful and a terrific host. We stayed in unit 1 which is the oceanside room with a shelterd patio. The room was large enough for us and very clean. What a treat having hammocks under a palapa at the end of the dock. We will be going back next year, and hopefully years to come, and stay in the same place. I would also like to add we went snorkeling with Unda Da Wada and really enjoyed ourselves. Great guides! My wife and I also got our open water certification through Bert at Scuba Sensation. Totally wicked! Can’t say enough…awesome experience and worth every penny!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank bubblinsharbs
Reviewed 1 December 2007

We recently stayed at Barefoot Beach for four nights. The property is in a beautiful setting, right on the beach and just a short walk down the beach from where the bars, restaruants, tour operators, etc are located. There is a nice pier at the end with a couple of hammocks to while away the afternoon and watch the pelicans feed. The facility is nicely appointed with painted walls and landscaped grounds. The rooms were decent but not luxurious (go to San Pedro for luxury) and there is even cable tv. The only feature we didn't like was the fact that the bathroom wall did not extend to the ceiling. The owner was very friendly and accommodating regarding local advice. The price was very good from a value proposition.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rjc260
Reviewed 21 October 2007

We had a wonderful stay in the Barefoot Beach hotel. We had planned to stay there for 6 days, but it became 10 and after our roundtrip through Belize we only could think of one place to return to, so we stayed there one week more. It's a lovely hotel, and the owners Susan and Kim are great hosts! Always a nice chat, lots of advice what to do, where to eat, etc. The hotel is located on the most beautiful spot of the island, at the beach, quiet, but only 5 minutes walk from the shops, restaurants and bars. For me, the best part of the day were the mornings: with a cup of tea in the hammock on the patio, watching the pelicans hunt for fish, and fully enjoying the carribean dream. Our suite had a very large kingsize bed, a small kitchen/dining area and a lovely sofa. Our terrace was only 10 steps from the waterfront, so we really lived on the beach. My husband made several dives, which were great, I did a lot of snorkeling and saw as much fish as my husband did. The relaxed atmosphere in the hotel and on the island were great. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: September 2007
6  Thank Yosselynn
Reviewed 16 July 2007

My husband and I had a seven night stay in July. We found Caye Caulker and the Barefoot Beach to be wonderful. We stayed in an 'oceanview' room. The owners were friendly and so was Heidi, the hotel cleaning person. Our first night there we had a little visitor - a hermit crab - which Heidi found and returned to the outdoors the next day. We could hear him but couldn't find him, but she got him right away.

The pier and hammocks were great. We spent a lot of time reading on our patio and on the pier. From the pier you can actually see the breaker waves at the coral reef.

The location was perfect. It was very quiet but just a short walk from town. You could walk by the street or on the foot path by the ocean. It got very dark when we were there - no moon - so I would suggest bringing a flash light for the walk if you plan on walking on the footpath by the ocean.

I have read the review about it not being clean, but I didn't find that at all in my experience. I personally appreciated the attention to environmental concerns about washing the bedding every day.

As for things being damp - well, the island has about 80+ percent humidity in the summer, I don't know how things could not be damp, unless you ran the AC all day. Also, the island is more or less made of sand and super windy... But to each his own.

I loved it.

The matresses were quite comfortable. We have travelled to mexico where the beds are super hard, and we were pleased to find such a comfortable bed in Belize.
Our room also had a daybed in addition to a queen size.

We did run the AC at night, which didn't cool the room as much as took out the humidity. We tried to sleep without it but we're spoiled and I just felt too sticky. During the day the cieling fan and windows let in enough air. There was cable tv, and a little table in our room as well. There was a small refigerator, which we ended up using a lot. Everything got very melty in the heat and humidity, so I kept my granola bars and other snacks in the refrigerator.

The decor is so island adorable, I really liked it. The grounds were landscaped and clean, which isn't always so in Caye Caulker, so that was also nice.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank Jo777
Reviewed 14 July 2007

Caye Caulker is such a small island, but it does have a rather busy little downtown area, and we were VERY happy we'd chosen this place, mainly because of the location. It's about a 10 minute walk south from the town center, in the quietest area of the island, which turned out to be a blessing. Upon arrival we discovered that we'd gotten there just in time for the island's annual 3-day lobster fest, which is apparently their biggest event all year, and one that the locals take very seriously. We'd originally planned on staying at the Costa Maya beach cabanas, but changed at the last minute, and boy were we glad. The lobster fest was a blast, but it was loud and boisterous, running the length of front street, RIGHT in front of the Costa Maya, as well as several other hotels, and we would have been miserable there.

The other reason that the location of this hotel is so important is that it is absolutely the coolest and breeziest spot on the entire island. Caye Caulker can be downright blazing in July, but no matter how hot we were, the moment we got to our little home, the brisk, neverending breeze would immediately cool us down. The breeze is even better on their lovely private dock, and I spent many an hour lounging in the hammocks out there. I would always take a book with me, but I didn't end up reading much -- I was always way too entertained by watching the everpresent pelicans as they dive-bombed for food directly in front of me.

Now, about the hotel itself. We didn't stay in the main building -- we were in the Caribbean Cabana, which is a little house raised up on stilts behind the main building. We liked it a lot. It wasn't perfect, and I will detail all that in a minute -- but it's important to recognize that there are certain circumstances that affect any property on Caye Caulker...and to take into account the price. For what we paid, we were thrilled. Sure there are nicer places on the island, but we priced them all, and anything nicer was also significantly more expensive. If you want luxury, you gotta pay for it -- and we were on a budget. For $69 a night (off season rate), this place was about as luxurious as you're gonna get on this island.

What we liked: it was quite roomy, with a decent-sized living room, a full kitchen, and a slightly cramped bedroom. But it's about twice the size of any of the rooms we'd looked at, for half the price. It's your own little house, which is raised up on stilts. This apparently serves two purposes: it keeps it cool, as the constant breeze flows all around it; and it keeps out the sand flies. I'd read many complaints of sand flies in many of the properties on Caye Caulker, but we never saw a single one. The decor is bright and colorful, especially the exterior paint. Oh, and you have your own little front porch, which is a GREAT place to sit to enjoy the breeze.

The website says that it has a nice view to the beach, and it does -- as I said, it's behind the main house, but you can look along the side of the house and see the beach. The main house itself is literally ON the sand, something that very few hotels in Caye Caulker can say.

The bedroom has AC that works quite well. This really helped with sleeping. The rest of the house is cooled by a large fan. We were always very comfortable, no matter how hot it was outside. The water on Caye Caulker is not drinkable, but they provided a large bottled-water dispenser right in the kitchen, which probably saved us a lot of money in buying water bottles. It was great to have a big refrigerator -- we always had cold drinks, and ate several breakfasts there.

A previous reviewer complained about the cleanliness. We had no problems with that. They have a sign right there in the room that they don't change towels/sheets every day, but if you ask them, they will. If you leave the towels on the floor, you'll have fresh ones waiting for you the next day. As for changing sheets, do YOU change your sheets every day? We sure don't! We were there for one week, and they changed the sheets once mid-week. I don't even change my own sheets that often. I have no problem helping the island inhabitants save on precious water by sleeping in sheets for a few nights. The maid didn't do dishes, but there's a sign there that you have to do your own, which is fine -- I wouldn't expect a room maid to clean up my cooking mess. I did my own dishes.

What we didn't like: It's a little shabby. It's such a cute little house, and while it's decorated with a little bit of Belizean art, I couldn't help but look around and think of all the things that could be done for very little money to make the place look adorable and charming. It's clearly not a "new" structure -- the kitchen fixtures were rather old. The bathroom is a bit rough, but everything certainly worked fine. One thing that was rather icky is that you can't put used TP in the toilet -- you have to place it in a little trash bin. However, this appears to be the way it is island-wide, as we saw the same sign in every bathroom we used. I guess their island plumbing is somewhat lacking.

The bed is a bit hard, but the mattress wasn't lumpy or saggy, so we were reasonably comfortable.

The maid did skip one day of cleaning, which was a little troublesome, given the TP situation. Our little wastebasket got rather full. But the other days she came, she did a fine job.

We didn't have a chance to get to know the owners. We were there to scuba dive, which we did every single day, so we weren't around much. I did meet them briefly, and they were quite nice. They pretty much left us alone, which was fine. Speaking of the people, we enjoyed the people on this island tremendously! Everyone was wonderfully friendly and genuine. We never felt like anyone was trying to make us spend our money or scam us. People were just...nice. We also felt VERY safe. Clearly the people on this island know where their bread and butter comes from, and while I understand there is some petty crime on the island, it's mostly among the locals...the tourists are off-limits. We met quite a few women traveling alone, and many of them said they came to this island BECAUSE it's known to be so safe.

The important thing with any accommodation is to know what to expect. This is an adorable, relatively unspoiled Caribbean island, with mostly rustic clapboard buildings throughout. The Barefoot Beach is a charming budget hotel. If you're looking for the Ritz, you won't find it here. But if you're looking for a beautiful island, spectacular sunsets, a quiet and comfortable place to stay, and the best breeze on the island, come to the Barefoot Beach.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple