All reviewstiki hutthe ownerlock boxoceanfront roomfree bikeslounge chairsminute walklaid backprivate pierocean frontmain partdrinking waterliving roomshower headthe air conditioningbeach towelswater taxi
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was a regular UK visitor to Belize City in the late 80's thorugh my job. I never took the numerous opportunities to visit The Cayes. Belizean people are so friendly, laid back and one never feels threatened as often associated with some Carribean countries. So I decided to go back and take a 'chill out' on Caye Cualker for a week staying at The Barefoot Beach. Booking direct with The Barefoot Beach via email was swift and simple. My booking was completed and confirmed within 48 hrs.

What was still apparent on this Belize visit, and I think a charming attraction of Belize, is that you do not set your watch back in hours but in years. Thus you cannot compare MOST vacation hotels/guest houses in Belize with those of other Carribean resorts.

The Barefoot Beach is 'out of town' (if you can call it that) which in reality is a slow 10 min walk from the town center. This has the benefit of offering peace and quiet without feeling shut off from mankind. Many tourists are young back packers who will party till the early hours at the centrally located beach side resturants and bars.

I was given one of the rooms on the side of the main building (ground floor) which was comfortable and cleaned daily. Balance of room charges due are paid on arrival. A coffee machine is provided and there are some grocery stores nearby.

The owner, Susan, was extremely polite and gave helpful advice based on her local knowledge. Bikes are provided free of charge during your stay complete with lock and chain. You will have your credit card swiped just in case you happen to 'lose' the bike!!!!

Proximity to the Barefoot Beach private jetty is measured in paces. It was extremely relaxing to lie out there watching the world go by - but be careful the UV factor can be high.

If I go back, I will book The Barefoot Beach again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I spent four nights at Barefoot Beach and found it to be all I needed for accommodation. Barefoot Beach provided a basic room with a comfortable bed, small fridge, microwave and small TV at a reasonable price. My room was at the side with windows and the patio facing the ocean so I was able sit outside and see the water or walk out on the dock and use the chaise loungers for reading or tanning. BB is in a quiet location, along the sea walk, south of main town area. I was initially hesitant about walking back to the hotel after dark but soon realized there was no reason to be concerned about safety - anywhere or anytime during my stay in Caye Caulker.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Location is ideal, it is on the water just far enough away so it is nice and quiet. the room we stayed in (the front room of the hotel) had a strange sewer smell to it which was a little gross. Owner was nice but pretty hands off in terms of suggesting snorkel companies, restaurants etc. Lovely dock to relax on and sun yourself. Caye caulker is great-highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed for two nights recently. The room was great, clean and cozy. Got a bit of a deal since it was a little off season. The rate also came with the use of two bikes, which we didn't get to use, but it was a nice option. The owner, mother and daughter were very helpful and friendly. Would highly recommend and will probably come back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I just got back from Barefoot Beach and I half to say it gets better every time we visit. Susan and Ashley Made our stay fantastic. These ladies have gone way out of there way to accommodate us Between running to town for some of our supplies (booze), Helping us with great days out on a fishing and snorkeling boat, also with diving for conk and a shore lunch and meeting really nice people. advice bout different places to go and see. I loved the conversations with both of them. They are a mine of information about the island and the people.
We had stayed here 4 years ago and loved it so we really wanted to come back again. The property is beautiful and very quiet and a lot of renovation has gone on since I was there last. It just keeps getting better every time.
This is not a 5 star hotel, thank somebody (I don't like the big busy dress clothes for dinner kind of places). But it is a fantastic 3 star+ hotel and resort. We hadn't made reservations because we thought the island would be really slow this time of year but we were wrong. Caye Caulker is getting a lot busier. We took one of the the two rooms left and were in heaven again. We did switch to another room after it was open and were in 2nd heaven. We just liked the view better in the other room.
I tried to get Susan to adopt me after the first time I stayed there but she Couldn't find it in her heart to do it. I think it had something to do with were the same age but maybe, Ashley, were not.

I feel like we made friends and I hope you feel the same way.
Thanks again and we hope to see you again.

Olin and Renee from Missouri