“Needs maintenence”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The area is beautiful, and the ocean view was wonderful, but the room was not maintained well. The bathroom needs cleansing with walls washed, and the kitchen area had dirty dishes in the cupboard. The exterior is well kept with chairs for relaxing, or sunning. It could be a wonderful facility with some basic upkeep that is missing. The staff was very helpful when something did not work, but they lacked the ability to really invest in the solution.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
cayemermaid, Owner at Barefoot Beach Belize, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Hello all. I am responding to a few "needs maintenance" comments. Unfortunately I was neck deep in a critical care situation for a couple of months where I could not be on top of everything. I had JUST hired a new maid and JUST started to train her when this occurred. So sadly for a couple of months I was giving intravenus drugs to a loved one hourly and meds etc. and could not finish training the maid or even have time to check the details. I have since lost the loved one and am back on top of all aspects of the Hotel. Cleaning, maintaining, painting, bleaching etc. I have a new main that is excellent too. Sorry for those of you who got stuck in the middle of this tragedy. Hopefully this will never happen again. Thanks for your continued support.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We rented a second floor cabana just behind the big blue structure pictured in the ad. It had AC and fans, was well screened for insects, and was very comfortable. The staff was responsive to the main problem we had, which was that there was no propane, so no cooking other than on a small barbeque grill that they made available. The mattress was very uncomfortable. It was ancient and the whole thing moved when one person moved. The neighbor's dog was very close by and was left alone chained up and barking for hours at a time. The dock, for use by guests only, was great and had a couple of hammocks in the shade and a half dozen lounge chairs in the sun. It seemed clean enough to me but I am not that fussy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

the grounds are beautiful, conch shells everywhere, bright candy paint as the guide book states. we had a ocean side room and not an apartment so perhaps there is a difference as it is budget in the ocean side rooms BUT it should be clean. there was black mould on the inner shower curtain, stained pillows, old sheets, stained bedspread, rust on outer bottom of fridge, dirty spoon and well used coffee mugs, coffee machine but no coffee.
on a positive note, the dock was great with the lounger chairs and 2 hammocks and the free bike with stay was great !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cindy177
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This place is the best on Caulker! Good quiet location, reasonable for what you get and close to some good hiking, swimming and snorkeling. Rent a kayak and paddle out to the reef with some fins for a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Susan was nice but our room was not. We felt like the sheet and especially the top blanket was not clean. The window in the bathroom would not close all the way...mosquitos all night. We got eaten up in a matter of that one night stay. We had been in Belize for over a week without hardly any bites. We could not get out of there soon enough. We agree that this was thee worst place we have ever stayed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I've been to CC about 9 times now and stayed here twice. My most recent trip was pretty last minute and I got really lucky to ride my bike past looking for a place to stay and found the "we have rooms available" sign. Susan, the owner is so super nice and makes you feel so at home. You get a free bike with your stay, the rooms are SUPER clean and NICE and she provides fresh drinking water. The beds are comfy and the grounds are super pretty.

I like the location with its private pier with hammocks and comfy lounge chairs and it's on the south side of the water taxi which is away from it all for peace and quiet. Yet, it's still just a short bike ride or walk into the village or up to the split. If you're looking for a great place to stay on the island I highly recommend staying here. Thanks Susan!! I hope all is well. HUGS, Diane

Room Tip: She has rooms with a kitchen and full fridge if you choose to cook your own food or fresh fish. The...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2014

After reading other great reviews, I was excited to stay at Barefoot and spent four nights in the suite with a full kitchen.

Relative to other resorts I stayed at, the price was very high. Given the high price, I had high expectations, and unfortunately Barefoot didn't meet the expectations.

The suite was adorable, with bright colors and flower curtains and very nice furniture. The staff who cleaned the rooms were smiling and lovely.

The bathroom shower fixtures were corroding and hard to use. The pillows smelled moldy. The coffee maker was moldy and needed to be washed. These issues were probably due to the excessive rain and normally I would brush them off, but for the price.

The owner has multiple pets, including two beautiful dogs. Unfortunately, during the day, if the owner is gone, one of the dogs may bark nonstop. One of the dogs would lunge at me from a fenced area every time I came and went, which made me uncomfortable. I don't mind dogs, but I do think being allowed the choice to be away from them is crucial if they bark and lunge.

Lastly, I stayed there during a time which was exceptionally rainy. I understand that sends the bugs inside. But I was not OK with finding cockroaches in the bathroom two nights in a row, that scurried into the baseboards when I turned the lights on.

Overall the relationship between the owner and the workers there seemed very tense, which made me uncomfortable bringing any issues up.

This sounds very picky, but for a place that charges so much and doesn't discount extended visits, I feel I need to share this criticism. Charging high prices is fine, but the services provided need to match that price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank FindingBlindSpots

The dog NEXT door barked constantly and I turned them in and it has been removed. My dog is fenced in at all times and rarely barks unless a dog is running by. If there are issues with anything....if it is brought to my attention I can attempt to Do something about it. This year we had a crazy 3 month rain that was non-stop along with a maid that did not get finished being trained due to an illness in my family....no I can not control that and can do nothing to alleviate mold except to have guests run their a/c occasionally to help dry out. and bleach clean between guests. My staff and I get along beautifully. but you came right after a DEATH. I am sorry that I can not be perfect at all times. Sometimes life throws a curve ball and all we can do is try to pick up the pieces. I am human. I will NEVER understand why a guest is so quick to trash a place on line without speaking to an owner and giving them a chance to FIX something. I have a one owner small Hotel, not a large all inclusive.....talk to me.