“Heaven on Earth!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We did again. This is our second time to this wonderful piece of heaven. We were there 3 years ago and the memories we brought back simply had to be repeated. We stayed in the 1 bedroom Cabana which has a full kitchen, living room, TV, and best of all, great friendly service. Our hosts, Kim and Susan, bent over backwards to make sure our stay was pleasant. We will return.
Mike and Sharon

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank chf1

Reviewed 10 October 2008

This hotell is the most charming little place that is located right on the beach. They had a dock that went out in the water that you could swim from and sunbade. The also have a palapa whith hammocs out there where we spent many serene hours reading, talking and just relax. At night we sat outside our cabanas and drank beer that Susan and Kim managed to get delivered to us and listened to reggea music. What a paradise :o)
They have bike for rent, wich is the perfect way to get around the island and you always get a fresh supply of drinking water in your bungalow.

The rooms was clean and well kept. We had booked the Caribbean Cabana for 5 days and loved it so much that we decided to stay there for 4 more days.

Susan and Kim was one of the nicest people I have ever met. They did all we could expect and more so that our stay was the best it could be. Kim told us a lot about the history of the island and gave great recomndations on where to go and what to do.

We did a couple of dives with "Bert" the dive instructor that they recomended and he was a great guy. He took us to 2 divesites and we eaven got to see dolphins.
We did the Blue Hole a few days later and it is a must do. Amazing dive.

I absolutely recomend you drop by the I & I Reagge Bar. Mr. I & I is a fun guy to spend some hours with.

A big thank you Susan and Kim for making our stay so enjoyable. If we ever come back to Caye Caulker there is no other place for us to stay :o)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lindoe
Reviewed 28 August 2008

In early August I enjoyed a relaxing stint in paradise, aka the Barefoot Beach. Barefoot offers the ideal (if not best) location on the Caye; the hub of town is only a five minute walk, but far enough removed from the hullabaloo of town that one can enjoy the tranquil ocean. Thus, taking in the tranquility of the Caribbean is easy at Barefoot, the private pier melts into a palapa equipped with hammocks and lounge chairs (the ONLY accommodation on the Caye that provided lounge chairs on their private piers), an inviting scene to soak up the sun. The rooms and grounds are kept clean and the cool air conditioning is a welcomed treat. As a solo female vacationer I felt completely safe, comfortable and relaxed. Kim, staff and fellow vacationers extended their gracious hospitality. In fact , after journeying abroad for a few days my return was meet with with my welcomed sigh, and an ice cold bottle of water from Kim who exudes genuine warmth. It is with much fondness and nostalgia that I recommend the Barefoot Beach/ Seaview Hotel.
-A

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank HullabalooCalifornia
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I feel a little mislead by the reviews that I read before booking. The accommodations were nothing as I had expected. I'm glad that my wife and I only booked a couple of nights, and were able to find other accommodation on the island once we arrived.

I understand that when you stay at budget hotels there are some compromises, but I expect the room to be clean and a decent shower. The list of complaints is extensive, so I will summarize: bugs, lots of them. The A/C in the room did little except make a lot of noise and sleeping with the windows open was not an option because the screens in the rooms allow the tiny sand flies in, and my wife was eaten alive while we slept. The bungalow itself was filthy when we arrived, the maid had just done a very surface cleaning. The counters were sticky, floor was sandy, and the shower was full of mold. In the 2 days I stayed there I was never able to get more than a luke warm shower for about 30 seconds which is actually longer than I preferred due to the grime.

The innkeepers were nice enough I guess, except that they did not seem to care much about our issues and did little to address them. After getting to know the local and the island, we discovered that everything that all of their local recommendations were the least attractive options on the island. One thing that they did well, was to make sure that they got paid, demanding payment in advance within the first half hour of being there. I guess they have had problems with people leaving, I can't say I am surprised. Still I am amazed at the reviews that they get from other visitors. Maybe they had better rooms, but all I can say is that I would never refer a anyone I know to stay there. If you do, I wish you luck....

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mrxpri
mermaidhunter, Owner at Barefoot Beach Belize, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2008

Approximately every 6 months we receive one of these reviews that we can not match with a guest reservation. The list of complaints are beyond rediculous and have never been directed to us. So, is this a case of mistaken property or vendetta? Any time there is an issue at our property we live here, and take care of it immediately. Being in this business for 20 years, I am most particular about cleanliness and comfort.

Reviewed 23 July 2008

I stayed at Barefoot Beach Resort June 19-22, 2008 in the Oceana Cottage while on a 4-day weekend off from an archaeology field school that I was attending inland Belize. I made arrangements directly with Susan for my stay and the reservation process was very smooth. I arrived at Caye Caulker in the morning. My room was not ready (which I expected not to be able to check in so early). Susan though was so gracious. She suggested that I put my luggage in what would be my room and use the room to change so that I could get into "island mode". I was also traveling with some fellow students that had not made any reservations ahead. Barefoot Beach was full, but Susan made some recommendations for them so that they would have nice lodging.

I cannot say enough good things about Barefoot Beach Resort and Susan. The grounds and rooms were kept immaculate. (Thanks Norma for such a clean room everyday.) Susan took the time to make excellent suggestions, answer questions, and just visit. She even followed up my trip with an email.

The AC worked excellent, but I only needed to use it at night when I closed up the room. During the day with the ocean breeze, it was not needed. The room even had a security door of bars that you could use if you wanted the glass door open to use the screendoor, but wanted to secure the room while away. Between the ocean breeze and all the windows and door screened, mosquitos were not an issue. (A friend ended up in one of the hotels not on the beach. You could not enjoy sitting outside there as the mosquitos were so bad since it did not get the breeze off of the ocean!)

Drinking water was provided. I enjoyed not having to take a cold shower while staying at Barefoot Beach Resort. For conservation purposes (the island has limited resources), the water heater turns on three times a day for a couple hours. The water stays warm in between times though; so, there was never a cold shower. (I stayed a month inland at a hotel that advertised "hot" showers, but in an entire month all the showers were COLD - and I mean COLD - except four times. Having hot or at least warm showers can be an important feature.)

Barefoot Beach is truly located right on the beach. (Not all the hotels on Caye Caulker are even though they claim to be. When there is a hotel between your hotel and the beach, I do not consider it "beach front".) It is located towards the end of the habitated part of the island, but still within an easy walk to everything since the island is small. Caye Caulker is a laidback island, but the location of the resort makes it even more peaceful and relaxing.

Caye Caulker does not have true beach areas. The beach is more just an area to walk along. Barefoot Beach Resort has what I feel is the best dock on Caye Caulker. The dock is very important as it is what you use to lay out and swim off of. The dock had an area with four lounge chairs to lay out in the sun. There was always lounge chairs available since it is a private dock. There is also a thatched roof area at the end of the dock with two hammocks and a chair to relax by the ocean in the shade. For swimming off the dock there is also a ladder provided to climb back up on the dock.

After spending four days at Caye Caulker and really checking out the island, I really feel that Barefoot Beach Resort is by far the best place to stay. I will be returning to Caye Caulker to bring my husband there. It is such a wonderful vacation spot. (I envy Susan and Kim being able to live there as it is one of those hidden gems!) I will be making my reservations way ahead of time as I definitely want to stay at Barefoot Beach Resort again - even if it means I have to flex my vacation time.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank tammys511
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I just returned to LA,CA from Caye Caulker, and if I didn't have pictures I would think it was a dream.

Barefoot Beach is a wonderful little spot, well attended by Susan and (the somewhat elusive) Kim.

Our cottage (Oceana) was perfect for myself and my two sons (14&16). I was there to get the boys certified in SCUBA and Susan arranged for a dive master, Bert, of Scuba Sensations to teach them. That turned out to be the best referral ever. He was fantastic.

The cottage had great AC and even though they turn on the water heater in 2 hour increments, I never took a cold shower.

Markets and restaurants are within a 10 minute walk and remember to stick to the beach! The trade winds ward off the bugs.

I didn't realize how serene and quiet Barefoot Beach was until we left for Ambergris Caye.

I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Caye Caulker, and I plan to return soon.

Great value and service!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank skyzac
Reviewed 17 July 2008

I've been staying there unfortunatly for only 2 nights with friends of mine.

The rooms were very tidy and clean and there was nothing to morn about. I think the most important to say about this property is the hospitality of the entire team and the willingness to help no matter what questions you've got.

It is on the very south end of Caye Caulker which is even more quiet than the rest of the island. Just great to chill, relax, enjoy the sun or swinging lazy in the hammock at the end of the pear in a shady place.

Truly amazing place to be and I hope that the owners know what perl they've found and how lucky they are to live there.

I and my friends are already planning out next visit and will for sure stay at the Barefoot Beach...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends