“Location location location!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 14 July 2007

Caye Caulker is such a small island, but it does have a rather busy little downtown area, and we were VERY happy we'd chosen this place, mainly because of the location. It's about a 10 minute walk south from the town center, in the quietest area of the island, which turned out to be a blessing. Upon arrival we discovered that we'd gotten there just in time for the island's annual 3-day lobster fest, which is apparently their biggest event all year, and one that the locals take very seriously. We'd originally planned on staying at the Costa Maya beach cabanas, but changed at the last minute, and boy were we glad. The lobster fest was a blast, but it was loud and boisterous, running the length of front street, RIGHT in front of the Costa Maya, as well as several other hotels, and we would have been miserable there.

The other reason that the location of this hotel is so important is that it is absolutely the coolest and breeziest spot on the entire island. Caye Caulker can be downright blazing in July, but no matter how hot we were, the moment we got to our little home, the brisk, neverending breeze would immediately cool us down. The breeze is even better on their lovely private dock, and I spent many an hour lounging in the hammocks out there. I would always take a book with me, but I didn't end up reading much -- I was always way too entertained by watching the everpresent pelicans as they dive-bombed for food directly in front of me.

Now, about the hotel itself. We didn't stay in the main building -- we were in the Caribbean Cabana, which is a little house raised up on stilts behind the main building. We liked it a lot. It wasn't perfect, and I will detail all that in a minute -- but it's important to recognize that there are certain circumstances that affect any property on Caye Caulker...and to take into account the price. For what we paid, we were thrilled. Sure there are nicer places on the island, but we priced them all, and anything nicer was also significantly more expensive. If you want luxury, you gotta pay for it -- and we were on a budget. For $69 a night (off season rate), this place was about as luxurious as you're gonna get on this island.

What we liked: it was quite roomy, with a decent-sized living room, a full kitchen, and a slightly cramped bedroom. But it's about twice the size of any of the rooms we'd looked at, for half the price. It's your own little house, which is raised up on stilts. This apparently serves two purposes: it keeps it cool, as the constant breeze flows all around it; and it keeps out the sand flies. I'd read many complaints of sand flies in many of the properties on Caye Caulker, but we never saw a single one. The decor is bright and colorful, especially the exterior paint. Oh, and you have your own little front porch, which is a GREAT place to sit to enjoy the breeze.

The website says that it has a nice view to the beach, and it does -- as I said, it's behind the main house, but you can look along the side of the house and see the beach. The main house itself is literally ON the sand, something that very few hotels in Caye Caulker can say.

The bedroom has AC that works quite well. This really helped with sleeping. The rest of the house is cooled by a large fan. We were always very comfortable, no matter how hot it was outside. The water on Caye Caulker is not drinkable, but they provided a large bottled-water dispenser right in the kitchen, which probably saved us a lot of money in buying water bottles. It was great to have a big refrigerator -- we always had cold drinks, and ate several breakfasts there.

A previous reviewer complained about the cleanliness. We had no problems with that. They have a sign right there in the room that they don't change towels/sheets every day, but if you ask them, they will. If you leave the towels on the floor, you'll have fresh ones waiting for you the next day. As for changing sheets, do YOU change your sheets every day? We sure don't! We were there for one week, and they changed the sheets once mid-week. I don't even change my own sheets that often. I have no problem helping the island inhabitants save on precious water by sleeping in sheets for a few nights. The maid didn't do dishes, but there's a sign there that you have to do your own, which is fine -- I wouldn't expect a room maid to clean up my cooking mess. I did my own dishes.

What we didn't like: It's a little shabby. It's such a cute little house, and while it's decorated with a little bit of Belizean art, I couldn't help but look around and think of all the things that could be done for very little money to make the place look adorable and charming. It's clearly not a "new" structure -- the kitchen fixtures were rather old. The bathroom is a bit rough, but everything certainly worked fine. One thing that was rather icky is that you can't put used TP in the toilet -- you have to place it in a little trash bin. However, this appears to be the way it is island-wide, as we saw the same sign in every bathroom we used. I guess their island plumbing is somewhat lacking.

The bed is a bit hard, but the mattress wasn't lumpy or saggy, so we were reasonably comfortable.

The maid did skip one day of cleaning, which was a little troublesome, given the TP situation. Our little wastebasket got rather full. But the other days she came, she did a fine job.

We didn't have a chance to get to know the owners. We were there to scuba dive, which we did every single day, so we weren't around much. I did meet them briefly, and they were quite nice. They pretty much left us alone, which was fine. Speaking of the people, we enjoyed the people on this island tremendously! Everyone was wonderfully friendly and genuine. We never felt like anyone was trying to make us spend our money or scam us. People were just...nice. We also felt VERY safe. Clearly the people on this island know where their bread and butter comes from, and while I understand there is some petty crime on the island, it's mostly among the locals...the tourists are off-limits. We met quite a few women traveling alone, and many of them said they came to this island BECAUSE it's known to be so safe.

The important thing with any accommodation is to know what to expect. This is an adorable, relatively unspoiled Caribbean island, with mostly rustic clapboard buildings throughout. The Barefoot Beach is a charming budget hotel. If you're looking for the Ritz, you won't find it here. But if you're looking for a beautiful island, spectacular sunsets, a quiet and comfortable place to stay, and the best breeze on the island, come to the Barefoot Beach.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Leejnd
There are newer reviews for Barefoot Beach Belize

Reviewed 12 July 2007

My girlfriend and I booked a 6-day/5-night stay at the Barefoot Beach/Seaview Hotel. We stayed in the Carribean Cabana. Susan was very nice and gave us a run-down of the place.
The cabana was bright and clean with a fold-down futon, kitchen, ceiling and floor fans, and cable TV. All of the windows and screen doors had screens to keep out finsects, but at times some of the little buggers got in.
The bed was very comfortable and the A/C cooled down the bedroom in no time. The bed had a mosquito net which helped keep the little critters at bay. However, dust from the ocean breeze gets caught on the net, which caused my allergies to get a little crazy at night.
The bathroom was always clean. Towels and linens are washed every 3 days unless left on the floor. The towels tended to feel rough on the skin, so if this is a problem for you, bring your own linens. Bear in mind that because it is an island, water was to be conserved, so we re-used our towels and linens until the actual wash day. Heidi, the housekeeper, was really nice.
Because of the distance from the main part of the caye, we rented a golf cart several times to go around the island. The closest golf cart rental is on Back Street which is just around the corner.
The hotel is situated on a private beach. It has its own pier with a small cabana at the end with 2 hammocks to lounge in. The hammocks felt a little moldy but that may be due more to sea air than mold. The water was warm, but had alot of sea grass in it.
All in all, the Barefoot Beach/Seaview Hotel is a great destination if you're looking for peace and relaxation away from the busy main area of Caye Caulker.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GaryRagu
Reviewed 3 July 2007

we stayed here for a weekend in June because we could not get rooms at our usual haunt, Treetops (which is the best & cleanest guesthouse on Caye Caulker - only 50 yards down the beach and the same price).

Barefoot looks fine from the outside and yes it is in a nice location with relaxing hammocks & sun deck over the sea, and the owners seem friendly enough.

But i like my room to be clean - and this was surface clean. Sheets and towels are only changed if you asked for them to be changed - which bearing in mind water is in short supply is fine, but only if the sheets & towels feel clean/fresh to start with - these are old and did smell very damp. There is maid service, but this only seemed to be a quick sweep of the floor and empty the bins. Nothing was cleaned in the whole time we were there including the toilet or shower. It felt as if the floor had never been washed. I am not fussy, and can cope with a bit of tiredness in a place, but I do expect things to be clean. This place was a great disappointment and I was glad to get back to a clean bed at the end of it.

I will definitely not be going back nor recommending it to anyone.

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank soDoctora
Reviewed 6 June 2007

We stayed at Barefoot Beach in April 2007 and it was wonderful. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable and we loved the peace, quiet, and tradewinds right off the water that we experienced at the hotel. It was great being south of town and off the main drag. Staying at Barefoot Beach was a major reason we enjoyed our time on Caye Caulker so much.

3  Thank ktoep
Reviewed 5 June 2007

I am afraid to write this review.

It is as if you would find a hidden treasure on the Caribbean Sea and want to keep the secret to yourself. I first contacted Sue and Kim directly after I had decided that Caye Caulker was the place for me to spend some much needed R&R.

From my very first e-mail I developed a liking for my potential hosts. Not only were they very informative but they also displayed a sense of humor which I knew would make my stay a memorable one. I was not in the least disappointed with my choice.

From the time I arrived it seemed to me that they were going to make sure that my stay with them would be enjoyable. They were attentive to all of the questions I had and seemed very knowledgable of the local Caye and surrounding areas. I don't know that I can do them justice in this short forum, but I will tell you that I can hardly wait to get back and there is no question on where I plan to stay.

If you are looking for a "Sandals" type atmosphere where everything is planned out for you and regimented then Caye Caulker is not the place for you. However, if you want a relaxed atmosphere were the attitude is "Go Slow" then this is the place to go and the "Barefoot Beach" is the place to stay.

Finally if you do go, be sure to say hello to Heidi (the housekeeper) for me and give Lady (the great little dog on the property) a scritch on the head and a hug. And stay out of the hammocks --- you'll never want to leave!!

Oh Yeah, SSHHH-- it will be our little secret.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank jmPompanoBeach
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We stayed here for 3 nights in mid April.

Our room was right on the front, just open the patio doors and the sand was at your feet. You can sit out on the decking with a drink and watch the world go by. We had no bother from sandflies or mozis.

The private jetty was great for winding down to the Caye Caulker pace and snorkel round. A bit of sea grass around, but not smelly. If you head up through town there is a much clearer area to swim and snorkel round.

Little foot traffic passes the rooms, and its only a short walk into town to find the bars and restaurants.

Our room was spotlessly clean and tidy. Having your own kitchen area
was great and we could make some lunch easily.

Drinking water was also provided in the room which was a bonus too.

The only problem we encountered was the shower - be very careful with the shower head. I got a shock and my other half saw sparks when
he showered on our last night.

We would recommend this as a great place to stay in Caye Caulker. But
only for a few days. There is not much to do here and we wanted to windsurf but there was never anyone at the centre to help us which was a real disappointment! When we did find someone at the centre he was stoned!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bug-x
Reviewed 23 May 2007

The owners were great and very accomodating. They worked with us in advance for a reasonable price and put forth extra effort to accomodate our desired changes. The rooms were exceptionally clean and comfortable. Caye Caulker is on the rustic side compared to the US standards but the room we stayed in had a very comfortable king size bed with a furnished kitchen and a sofa. The Marriott it is not but for this beautiful peacful island it was perfect. Susan and her husband were always fair and very pleasant to visit with. Caye Caulker offers the full range of accomodations from a 10$ bed or a $20 cabana that offers a bed and a toilet up to the kind of place Susan offers. Clean, comfortable and very secure. Petty theft is an issue on the island but the rooms at the Barefoot Beach are very secure.

There are three separate building behind the main building that offer
a different experience. My sister stayed in the middle building behind the main building and said the breeze blew right through the rooms so they did not need to use the air conditioning. The ocean view was not as good but the water is only a few more feet away. We stayed in the room in the lower from of the house that did not have good venalation so we found the air conditioner to be very useful.

I would not hesitate a moment to stay at the Barefoot Beach resort when we return to the island of paradise.

Caye Caulker does offer a peaceful location to enjoy the warmth of the tropic sun and sea. This little island does not offer large sandy
beaches. The waters along the coast are filled with sea grass with a few sandy areas. The island offers a more calm and laid back place to
take advantage of the top of the class snorkeling and diving. There is limited boat rental, wind surfing and kite surfing but the main attraction is the diving and snorkeling. Prices on this island are significantly less than on the larger Ambergris Caye.

Beware of the water and some of the food. The sanitary conditions are
not up to the USA standards so always drink the purified bottled water and do not eat the food that the local children sell. The children are very cute and can use the money they earn so buy the goods but don't eat it unless your body can handle the exotic bugs and bacteria of the tropics.

Sunburns are also very common. It takes less than 10 minutes in the daytime sun to get burned. We saw many very red bodies. The pain can ruin a vacation so load up on the sunscreen and cover up when snorkeling, the back of my legs are still red and sore a week later because the sunscreen did not work once in the water.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple