“Warning!! Do not stay at this hotel, bed bugs.”

Tropical Paradise Hotel
Ranked #29 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Warning!! Do not stay at this hotel, bed bugs.”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

First, I must note that this hotel states at the front, on a sign, that they do not give refunds, I should have considered that a warning. My husband and I, on our honeymoon, wanted to stay in a little run down spot on Caye Caulker and save a little money for the rest of our trip. Big mistake!! The room was still $50 a night and we paid for 3 nights up front.
The hotel looks nice enough if you arrive in the day light. The activities are on the opposite end of the island. There is also a cemetery on the property, a little odd. All of this was fine with us. Especially the cute yellow beach cabanas and umbrellas. Everything looked so cute and nice, we were excited until bed time.
We were getting ready to lay down and I noticed a couple of little bugs on my pillow. I flicked one off figuring they landed there because of the light. The gross part is when I flicked it off my pillow, it left a bloody, red trail behind it. Soon we started seeing the bugs all over the walls, sheets, towels. Everywhere!! I did not sleep at all. My husband slept while I flicked bugs off the bed around him all night long. The next morning we headed down the island and found a better place but the hotel would not give us even one nights refund. They were really cold regarding our stay and did not offer a different room or anything. Unacceptable, do not stay here or eat here!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TabbyStory

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chandigarh
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Not bad for the price, even with the inflation that comes with this being a tourist spot. The biggest problem is that there really isn't much on the island for a single person traveling alone. So you are basically stuck going for low-end double rooms... so I passed on the nicer looking cabins as excessive and went for a smaller room. The rooms are way in the back, very far from the water and located over a noisy woodworking shop.

The service was slower than expected, even for the laid back location. Bring a book to read while you are waiting for someone to appear at the front desk for checkin

The room itself was small and clean with working A/C. But the walls and floors were uneven and flimsy with some loose panels. There was a weird smell but the A/C solved it. There was a double and single bed. It was great for one person but I think two would have felt crowded.

They claim they have wifi internet but I could not get a signal unless I was almost right beside the wireless antenna at the front desk.

The bathroom was a do-it-yourself add-on. The hot water comes on fast, but the shower was not good. Shower before you come here. Also, bring your own soap. I didn't and gagged on the chemical scented mini-bars that came with the room. I think guests must have used the towels on the beach because they were stained and torn.

The small beach front is the one real bright spot. You can just sit in a lounge chair in the shade of a palm tree and ignore the room. There is no waiter service on the beach, but that is a plus.

The attached restaurant seems popular but you can easily do better by shopping in town for both price and quality. It does entice you with drink specials... but when you ask, only a few of the advertised options are available and those are poorly made.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sector18
East Troy, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 March 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at Tropical Paradise in Caye Caulker for one week and we had a wonderful experience. The location is perfect overlooking the water with one of the nicest piers and swimming areas on the island. They also can handled any of your tours right there at the hotel. We stayed in the free standing cabana which was wonderful and competitively priced with other options we checked out. Our room was very nice, clean and featured a nice wardrobe, night stand, open closet to hang our clothes, color TV, internet access and a super-hot shower. The best part of our stay was the staff at Tropical Paradise. They absolutely went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed on a daily bases. Everyday our room was cleaned; fresh towels brought in and if we desired our bedding changed. We highly recommend staying at Tropical Paradise it is by far the best value and staff in Caye Caulker.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Bourne, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2011

My girlfriend and I showed up on a monday boat from san pedro, no reservation... we got the hustle from a local but kept on walking. Spent an hour or so just checking the places out. I liked the organized and well clean courtyard and sitting area at Paradise. Got a room for 45$ including AC and small fridge... cable tv with lots of good stations. Had to move to a non ac fridge the next day but for 35$ a night, clean place with 2 nice beds. The onsite restaurant is very good for breakfast and dinner... The think is it felt like being in the carribean but at a great price....

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed here for one night. The hotel was very cheap and there was hot water and it was pretty clean. The rooms were not, however sound proof at all and it was somewhat difficult to sleep. Nothing really remarkable one way or another. I felt like it was fine for the price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Reviewed 15 January 2011

we literally stumbled across this hotel while looking for another and after checking out the little cabin made an instant decision to stay there.it is located in a quiet corner of town(actually a quaint village) and is right on the beach with its own dock out into the calm warm carribean sea.the restuarant and bar served great food and drinks,the corner grocery is about 200 feet from the site so everything is right there for a relaxing stay.the biggest shock was leaving,i cant wait to go back for another visit and will certainly stay at the tropical paradise.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 June 2010

This is a great place to stay on Caye Caulker. The rooms are in wooden cabin style buildings set on stilts. There's no air con but industrial speed fans and a nice breeze blowing though the mosquito netted windows keep it cool. The bathroom had an incredibly hot shower which is a rareity in my experience of Central America.

Outside the room was a terrace with chairs and tables and a view of the Caribbean. There's free wi fi and the restaurant attached. There are also various seating areas around the property with roof or umbrellas. The only negative I can think of is that the dock from where you can swim is not shaded. A roof and some hammocks would go down a treat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple