“Best Location on the Islan”
Review of De Real Macaw

De Real Macaw
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Yellowknife, Canada
“Best Location on the Islan”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We first got to Caye Caulker and Frederick came to pick us up from the boat taxi. He said he was with the real Macaw so we figured it was cool. He walked us to the hotel and when we came to give him a tip, he actually asked for money. We gave it to him. That was my ONLY negative comment on this hotel (and it has nothing to do with the hotel!!)
This place was awesome. He stayed in the room facing the street and the vendors. We made friends with Jam and Delicious, and New York the dog, and Corn and everyone else (we miss them!!)
The location was perfect. We sat in our hammock and watched people go by. There was a bit of noise, so if you dont like that, bring ear plugs, but stay here!!! you won't regret it.
The AC worked perfectly and the showers had super wicked water pressure. Rob was super helpful. He's such a laid back guy and was there anytime we needed anything. He is full of information about the island.
The beds were good, the cleaning lady, Latecia, what a sweetheart! She was there everyday. There's a super cool community area within the hotel gates where you can hang and sunbathe.
This hotel was so amazing, that after we left it to tour the rest of Belize, we decided to go back to Caye Caulker and back to the real macaw for a couple more nights!
Rob was super accomodating and hooked us up with a back room, just as good as the front one. With a queen bed and a single bed and the great water pressure!
I highly recommend you stay here if you wanna meet cool people and hang out. It is definetly a busier part of the island, but thats what makes it so cool!!
AND this place has free wi-fi, if thats something you're looking for
Miss it already!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank n_elhakeem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Punta Gorda, Belize
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We enjoyed our stay here so much. It was my husband and I and our 20 year old granddaughter and her boyfriend. We stayed in the condo and it was a wonderful accomodation for us. The place is centrally located to just about anything and the owners are so friendly and helpful. We did a 3 stop snorkeling tour with Blackhawk Sailing, right next door, and had a great time with Steve and Charlie. Our pictures made our family back home very jealous. It's not a luxury place at all, but very comfortable, safe, and clean!

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pat865
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2011

i love the real macaw! we were there for 3 nights and we had a great time. The location was great! right in the middle of everything. We got the courtyard view room and we had no problem with it. it had a chair and a hammock. Inside was a queen bed and a single bed. It was so comfy that my friend actually thought it was a Therapeutic bed lol. Our private bath was the cutest thing in the world. If you are going to caye caulker you def. want to stay here!! its like home sweet home. jessie and rob are the best also they helped us alot even before reserving our room.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bricif
Washington, DC
Reviewed 13 February 2011

First off, the location is ideal for anyone who wants to be in the center of the action. Its an easy walk to the Split and the docks on the other side of the island. I wasn't terribly concerned that the vendor market blocked my view of the ocean, but I know its a sore point for some of the people who have posted here and I think for the owners too. They didn't bother me and I actually had a pretty decent lobster dish from on of those vendors. It certainly was lively part of town and I enjoyed my time there

This hotel itself is exactly what I'd expect of a town founded by hippy ex-pats. There's hammock in the courtyard that I loved. The courtyard is pretty and relaxing and the folks staying there are friendly and will strike up conversations with you (unless you're alseep in the hammock). If you're looking for pristine rooms a la Caribbean resorts, this isn't the hotel for you. Hell...it isn't the island for you. This hotel is on the mismatched, shabby side -- as is the whole island. Again, founded by hippies. My friend and I stayed in one of the ground level rooms with double beds ($109 BZ per night)- room #5. It was clean and it came with a mini fridge, a drawer to lock valuables, a tv and a coffee maker. All of which we gladly used! It probably could use some lighting upgrades because it was a little dark but it was really ok. And miracles of all miracles the AC worked and worked very well!!! Like all of the hotels we stayed at during our Belize trip, the bathroom was more of a partition than a separate room, but this one had a door (with a lock) instead of the curtain. Another yay!

I was there during the lobster festival and Jeff (if I'm remembering Jesse's son's name correctly) pointed us in the direction of some good places to eat. He also gave me some advice about the Blue Hole dive. I did the dive and I loved it! As for the owner, Jesse, I never met her in person but I booked in advance online and she made things very easy easy for us. The paypal transaction went smoothly. But above and beyond, she gave us a lot of great advice about traveling/from to Caye Caulker and ideas one what to do while visiting. Also, on our first night there, we came back to the room and found that housekeeping had turned off our AC. The office had closed and we were looking at a long, hot night. We couldn't for the life of us figure out how to turn it on (and I think I messed up the settings while trying) so I emailed Jesse. She replied right away that she'd take care of it and when I got back from dinner, she had been there and turned it on. Thanks for everything Guys!!! We're glad we found your hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The owners are very nice. The rooms were clean and had a cleaning service everyday. From what I hear other places on Island may not provide soap or towels but ours did. We had new towels everyday and a new bar of soap. We had air conditioning that worked awesome and cooled right away, mini fridge, coffee maker(did not use), ceiling fan, drawer with a lock on it, hot water with our private bathroom, single bed, queen bed(not most comfortable) and a TV with cable. The front porch had a chair and a hammock. It was nice to lay out there and read a book. The yard area is fenced in so my 7yr old could play safely out there and it was well maitained. It was in a convienent location by restaurants and convienent stores. The ONLY complaint I had is that our view of the ocean was onbtructed by the community shopping of locals set up thier shops right in front of the hotel and blocks the view of the ocean. Because of these little shops it can attract some loitering of locals and tourists but was surprisly never loud or rowdy. We were in bed by 10 or 11 and didn't hear anything after that. I am a people watcher so this was fine to me but my husband would have liked to be able to see the ocean-knowing it was right there.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Martina726
Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 January 2011

This is a special place. If you're looking for a JW Marriott, you need to be on a different island; if you're looking for a Holiday Inn Express, you probably need to be looking at somewhere else. But if you want first class service in a comfortable, island guest house, you should look at De Real Macaw. The inn is rustic, and the rooms are not spacious. But the personal service and commitment to satisfaction more than makes up for any of those physical shortcomings. My wife and I loved Caye Caulker, and we're already planning our return. And we intend to stay with Rob and Jessie when we do.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel during my second visit to Caye Caulker. This hotel is a good deal for the money, has its charm, and is in good location. However, I was bitten horribly by some 300 bed bugs that made my whole body itch incessantly for a week and the owner would not even offer a refund to me! As far as I know he had the room where I stayed booked for the next night, and he didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that the next guests would be feasted upon, too!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
DeRealMacaw, Owner at De Real Macaw, responded to this review, 28 January 2011
In the 9 years we have been in business, this is the first person to complain about bed bugs. She had bites on her, but not from our hotel. She had to leave because we had a reservation for the room. No bed bugs were found when both searched so we would not give her a refund. The following guest did not complain about any bites they received while sleeping in the room for a week! We have not received any complaint regarding bed bugs in any of our rooms since this one young lady's visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caye Caulker
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#21 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to De Real Macaw? Share your experiences!