“Great location, comfortable rooms.”
Review of De Real Macaw

De Real Macaw
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Great location, comfortable rooms.”
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

De Real Macaw is a easy
short walk from the ferry jetty with a excellent waterfront location. Taxis (golf-carts) are expensive and you can easily walk everywhere. The staff are friendly. Rooms are clean and tidy with AC.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at De Real Macaw. Rob and Jesse are very easy to work with, and the location is right in the middle of the island so it is a 5 minute walk max from everything. The rooms were very clean as they were cleaned thoroughly every day and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were nice size, with tv, fridge, microwave, hammock, and ac. We were in a lower level Beach View rooms, and we didn't hear a bit of noise in the room. The facilities seemed safe with plenty of locks on the doors, a locking drawer in the room, and security cameras on the grounds. My only disappointment was the view from the room wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but that being said, I'd probably stay there again if we come back to the island.

Room Tip: I'd choose an upper level room if we had to do it over again only to get a better sea view. If...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 December 2012

My Gf and I just got back from Caye CAulker and had a great time!

We stayed at De Real Macaw. The staff was awesome. The rooms were large and clean. The AC worked perfectly and it even had a ceiling fan which is a nice bonus. I would definitively go back and stay there.

Great location central to everything. I am really happy i chose this place. By far the nicest out of all the one I've seen. Very safe.

Thanks again to Jesse and Rob (the owners) and there staff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Rogue River
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This was our second stay here and I cannot express how accommodating and helpful Rob, Jessie and the staff are. My daughter wanted to get married on Caye Caulker, so my husband, sister and I went ahead of every one to plan it. During our stay we had a welcome BBQ in the courtyard for the grooms family and Rob helped us get everything set up, Jessie lined me up with a guy who gathers and sells flowers on the island. A few issues with taxi pick ups on the main land had me needing to use the phone and Rob was so helpful. There were many occasions where I needed a little more help than we normally would and everyone there not only stepped up, but did so very happily. The location is great for people watching, thus can get loud at night, but just keep the fan running and it drowns it out. Beautiful spot for sunrises and close to everything! Love this place!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Quadra Island BC
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I booked very last minute and was offered the budget room. It was tiny but cute. I didn't plan on staying in my room all day so it was exactly what I needed. Bed was comfy. Tv didn't work and there did seem to be a lot of Mosquitos at night. Decided to add another night and was able to move into one of the bigger rooms which was also quite nice, but again the tv didn't work. Wifi worked great.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We loved De Real Macaw. We were looking for a very inexpensive, yet visually appealing and quaint place to stay. The owner, Rob, is obviously someone who wanted to live on an island and not be bothered, but needed a source of income. I got to teach my boyfriend what a Parrot Head was. ;) We loved his no-nonsense way of operating. We didn't have a reservation and luckily got there before the early closing time.

We didn't go to Caye Caulker to sit in the hotel, but it still had good air conditioning and nice bathroom and beds and a tv to watch Spanish cartoons on before bed. I thought it was adorable. The dogs and cats around the little grounds were sweet. Great spot on the island, right next to everything we needed. Not that the island is a big place, but there are some dark spots further south, so glad we stayed there. Since we were the only guests we were glad we stayed in the little room off to the right instead of the big room above where the owner stays. That would have been awkward I think.

There is a rack of bikes. Rob didn't say if we could use them, but I bet we could have if we asked.

If you just want to drop in, get a cheap/cute room, and then get to the good stuff outside the hotel this is a great place. If you want your hand held and your towels folded into swans, go to Ambergis Caye. Thanks, Rob. :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I booked a room here 3 months prior to arrival and paid with credit card to GUARANTEE reservation. When I arrived the owner from Seattle, Rob, somehow forgot my reservation and was fully booked. He was quite sneaky and thinking on his feet and gave me a room in the back what wasn't what I booked and wasn't part of the proper building structure. There was a gap between the laundry room and this room and the room filled up with all kinds of bugs. There were animals and other things on the roof and it was in the back so very dark and noisy from the bar / restaurant next door. His wife told me that he rented to backpackers so that is why he gave me her room. I was bitten by sand flies etc., mosquitos, etc., and didn't sleep. I asked for another room, and he said "maybe"... I was quite disturbed by the lack of responsibility, consideration, integrity, etc. I had to walk around Caye Caulker to look for another place to stay. I checked back and he had one vacancy and since I was so tired I decided to just change rooms instead of moving etc. That was a big mistake but I was so tired and worn out I wasn't thinking clearly. I should have just left. Anyhow, no screens on windows and locks, no security, no phones, and more bugs. There are bugs in the rooms and beds. I was eaten alive. A local workman from The Real Macaw got drunk and was banging on my door and window at 2 am and then started using the F word when I wouldn't open the door. I didn't sleep again that night. And there is no one around to help. Last night also bad. I had planned to just relax in Caye Caulker and it was anything but. The place is dirty, dumpy, and not modern or convenient like the website says. I checked other places and asked people staying there and they said the rooms were clean, good, etc. The Real Macaw did not honour my paid reservation, did not provide safe comfortable accommodation and did not care at all. The lack of consideration was really ugly. They just get the money and then you are on your own. The property itself is dirty and full of bugs. And the picture and marketing like the one and only, is extremely embellished and misleading. This was a really bad ending to my time in Belize. I was enjoying Belize very much up until I came to Caye Caulker and stayed at this crappy place. I am writing this because people work hard and only have a certain amount of time for vacation and not keeping my reservation and putting me somewhere with bugs, etc. and the owner knew of the gap where the bugs could enter, is just plain wrong. And I was so sleep deprived and itchy I just wanted to leave. So my rating is zero stars. I would stay somewhere else. The website is misleading it is a small place and a dirty dumpy. And they do not care about you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank travelbug f
DeRealMacaw, Manager at De Real Macaw, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
We work hard to provide clean, comfortable accommodations and a friendly, welcoming environment. When we fail, we appreciate honest feedback that shows us where we fell short and where we need to improve. We slip up occasionally.

Travelers and hoteliers that use this site frequently, know to be cautious of reviews that go to the extreme, favorable or unfavorable, and that the most honest and helpful reviews are somewhere in between. We encourage travelers to read a wide range of our reviews and you will see a consistent theme throughout: we go out of our way to make our guests feel comfortable and secure and when problems arise, we handle them quickly and with care.

We regret that we did not do for this quest what we do so well for so many others. Nevertheless, we thank this guest for staying with us and wish her well on all of her future travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caye Caulker
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#21 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to De Real Macaw? Share your experiences!