“Beachfront room...with no view of the beach????”
Review of De Real Macaw

De Real Macaw
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Winston Salem, NC
“Beachfront room...with no view of the beach????”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at De Real Macaw for 4 nights in one of the "beachfront rooms" with air conditioning. Knowing we would not be spending much time in our room, all we wanted was a decent place to shower and sleep without having to spend a ton of money. Looking at the website, this place seemed to fit our bill. After spending 4 nights at Ruby's on San Pedro, Belize and loving it, our expectations for this place were a little higher. Let me start with the positives: You cannot beat the location of this hotel. It is right in the middle of the island with relatively easy access to the water taxi, the split, and numerous restaurants/shops. The staff was very nice and took care of any problem we encountered. They were very eager to please us and would try to immediately fix any of the problems we had (shower/ air conditioning).
Now on to the negatives: The biggest negative we had is that even though this hotel is advertised as a beachfront hotel, and you can reserve beachfront rooms, we could not actually see the beach from our room. There is now a "shanti building", or market, built across from the hotel where locals sell their merchandise from about 6 am until almost 10 pm. Not only did this block our entire view of the ocean (our so call ocean front room) but the locals are very loud throughout the entire time they are there. Although on a positive side, we never had a problem with them being rude or constantly trying to sell us stuff. The only other negative I had was the sheets/bedding smelled mildewed, which could be because of the water on Caye Caulker. But to be fair, If it weren't for the market across the street I would have given this place a very good rating. The owner Jessie was telling us she has complained to the government to get the market moved, if it moves, this place is a definite to stay at. Until that happens I would suggest finding another hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NCKimC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 July 2009

De Real Macaw was a last minute idea on our part. We had just returned to Caye Caulker from a trip to San Ignacio, and at the last minute decided to try and fit in one more day on the island.

De Real Macaw is on the beach... well pretty close to it. It is also near the majority of the restaurants, bars, and the split that populate the north side of the island. The hotel faces the small shopping/vendor area that can become loud and a bit offensive at times. That is of course beyond the control of the hotel.

The rooms were small, but the AC worked fine... so well I had to turn it off at night to be able to sleep. This is mainly because of the sparse bedding that is provided. The hammock on the front porch was great and I spent a good deal of time swinging in it and reading my book in the evenings.

All in all it is an average place to stay (for Caye Caulker) though I think you can get better accommodations or a better deal with a little prior planning or a little harder look.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Trempealeau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I want to be careful here, because I stayed here for only a few hours and I think certain travelers would like this place better than I did. I arranged to stay here for four nights, but when I got to my room (a "beachfront" room, which was one of the best on the property) I decided to check out immediately, forfeit one night's fee, and find somewhere else (Seaside Cabanas; see review). The main problem was that the room was too dark. This was not the kind of thing a lamp or two could fix; it was like a cave. I also felt the room was laid out poorly and, generally, not very nice. Adding to the problem was that you could not open the window unless you wanted to give up all privacy. The room is right on the island's main road, and the area in front of the room is a hang-out for some of the locals. They weren't in the least threatening (although once walking past I was asked if I wanted to buy some pot), but who wants to have everyone walking past be able to look into your room? Perhaps someone of the "I don't spend time in my room, anyhow" ilk would find this place acceptable, but I wanted something a bit nicer. I will say the folks who run the place were a pleasure to deal with when I arranged to stay there, and I'm disappointed things didn't work out.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank iraform
Oakland, California
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My sister and I loved our stay in Caye Caulker, and De Real Macaw just added to our fabulous trip. It is centrally located and became the meeting spot for all the great people we met on the island. Jessie, who runs the place, is friendly and very helpful. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are clean and all you need while you enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the Island. I loved lounging on our cabin hammock, saying, "hello" to all the locals, visitors, etc. who would pass by (everyone is so friendly, it felt like an adult summer camp). Everything closes up around 9 pm, and by 10pm the island is quiet (except at the I & I tree house bar!). Eventually three of us stayed in one room, and it was spacious and comfortable. I have NO complaints and would stay there again.
Oh, and it is worth spending the extra money in Caye Caulker. Our friends staying at the hostels for $20 a night left with bed bug bites and ticks! We were happy to pay $60-70 split between three of us.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
Boston
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I stayed at De Real Macaw with some girlfriends. The place was clean and convenient. The vendors in the stalls were a bit noisy but it stopped by about 9:00 or 9:30. They were loud, but were friendly with us and did not bother us. We were on the second floor and did actually have an obstructed view of the water from the porch. We did have a mix up on getting the place cleaned. The previous renters took the key back to Canada by mistake and we were out when the maids tried to clean. They were very apologetic.

• Liked — Convenient
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
spain
Reviewed 30 October 2008

I am very sorry but I have to say that this place is not the one you want to stay in Caye Caulker.
I went to Caye Caluker the last month to spend a couple of days and I asked specifically for a room with sea views. The owner assured me that my room would have nice views. You can imagine my surprise, when I arrived there were no views at all, in fact the room was in the backyard with no view from the room and from the veranda we could not see the sea either.
I asked the owner to reimburse my money because I'd look for another place, what we finally did, however she refused to give me back the money for my booking and insisted that there were views from the room. views, you can see at the attached pictures.
I really ask you all, to avoid this place and to punish this type of fraud & moneymaking. there are plenty of nice places on the island and I think that people like this doesn't deserve customers in their Hostal.
For me the most important is not the place itself but at least the honesty & commitment of the owners when you ask for something.

many thanks

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank isagro
Mississipp
Reviewed 28 June 2008

De Real Macaw was a very nice place and we'd stay there again. But stay away from Seahawk Tours, which seems to be associated with the hotel. It seems to be run by two guy named Steve. We took a tour to Lamanai with the younger Steve. It was very badly organized. We got to spend very little time at the site and no time at the museum. He had said our fee was all-inclusive but we ended up paying the entrance fee to the site and he refused to reimburse us. We didn't find him very honest. So, stay at De Real Macaw but go touring with Tsunami or Raggamuffin.

• Liked — Nice staff
  • Disliked — Staff not always around
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Miriam
DeRealMacaw, Owner at De Real Macaw, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Our Hotel has NO affiliation with Sea Hawk or Black Hawk tours (same business). The owner,
Steve, and his tour guides sit in the street right next to our office to book their tours. Since they do NOT have an office, people often believe that the office at "De Real Macaw" is his office.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caye Caulker
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#21 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to De Real Macaw? Share your experiences!