“Loved Caye Caulker and The Real Macaw”
Review of De Real Macaw

De Real Macaw
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal
Reviewed 6 February 2006

Wow, we were at this hotel for 3 days and we loved it! My friends and I believe it's the best one on Caye Caulker. The rooms were clean and big enough for the 4 of us. The owner Jessie was adorable and helpful. Staying at The Real Macaw allows you to really get into the island vibe with the hammocks and the chairs in the backyard... It's also right by the beach and really close to everything in town (grocery store, restaurants, tours, bars...). I recommand it to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 28 November 2005

Maybe I had too high an expectation, but I was a bit disappointed with Real Macaw ...

Firstly the good parts - the location is handy [but then the island isn't exactly big, so it's not as important as it might be elsewhere], the rooms are very clean - the beds were made everyday and the rooms cleaned to remove all the sand that we tracked in, and the property is very attractive both inside and out.

But ... one of the rooms we stayed in had bunkbeds which rocked everytime somebody turned over, or got up - so the other person was woken up. The other room we stayed in didn't have bunkbeds, but the beds were fairly noisy/squeaky which didn't assist in getting a good night's sleep. I also had a problem with operating the showers - one of them didn't seem to produce hot water at all, the other one sometimes did and sometimes didn't. The worst thing was that the bathroom in the 2nd room wasn't properly separated from the bedroom [the partition only went to about 6.5'] - so my roommate and I took turns going outside whilst the other one used the it !

In summary, ok, but could be a lot better.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank fartoomanyusers
Reviewed 13 September 2005

Like some others, we were running away from a bad guest house when we arrived at Da Real Macaw. Peter and Jesse were cool and laid back and quickly showed us to a room, and said we could have it first thing in the morning after checking out of our bad place.
The bed was comfy, there was enough room for two girls and the bathroom was clean with a great shower. Peter and Jesse were around in the day just chatting and taking in the relaxed ambience of the world outside their front lawn.
Especially cute were their crazy puppies!

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank arboldepalma
Reviewed 8 May 2005

Just got back from Belize yesterday and I am definitely missing De Real McCaw.

PROS: This hotel has a great location...It is close enough to walk to/from the front dock and is a short walk to the split. De Real McCaw is surrounded by restaurants and tours. I stayed in an upper cabanna without AC, but I didn't miss it. There is always a breeze and it feels great to just lay in a hammock and rock back and forth. The showers are cool, but it felt good in the afternoon after swiming/snorkeling etc. I think I might even start taking cool showers at home (I live in San Antonio). And the price is great- a very good deal. The owners-Peter and Jesse- are super nice and laid back.

CONS: There were cats that kept fighting and cat calling outside during the night. But it didn't bother me too much, because chose to lay there rather than go yell at them and scare them away! That is it though, the only CON I can think of.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Caye Caulker.

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank bwookie623
Reviewed 7 March 2005

My partner and I, along with another couple, just spent two weeks at De Real Macaw and loved it.

It was our 3rd time on the island and the 3rd place we have stayed.

This was easily the best of the bunch!

The location is wonderful (close to the split and "downtown". The view is great and Jesse and Peter (the owners) are extremely helpful but also very laid back.

THe rooms were clean and in good shape.

We are planning to stay here again our next time on Caye Caulker!

• Stayed: February 2005
6  Thank drwToronto
Reviewed 27 February 2005

It's a great location and a great place. Jesse (the owner) was very friendly and helpful with where to go, what to do, as is everyone on the island. The accomodations are a bit cozy for 3 adults, but would be nice for a couple or young family. Good, clean accomodation, safe and convenient. What else could you ask for for $50US? Actually, there were quite a few people who had moved to De Real Macaw from other places because they were disappointed with their original accomodations, if that says anything.

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank zbethnj
Reviewed 7 August 2004

My family stayed here for four nights in July and thought it was great. Between the two bedrooms (one with bunk beds) and the futon in the living room, there was plenty of space for the five of us. Plus, there's a full kitchen and dining area.

It's across the street from the water and a very close walk to the split and the main part of the town (if there is a main part!).

The owners/staff were friendly, the room was clean and it's a nice, quiet place.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2004
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Hotel del Rio
Hotel del Rio
#36 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to De Real Macaw? Share your experiences!